Can't put Cee Bailey back on....

BigO1987

I had problem with my Cee Bailey in which is slip down...posted on this already. I took it apart....the panels, the front part, etc. the prior well nuts were compressed to junk. The top bolts slipped down and the bottom did the same.

I got well nuts from Honda dealer. I am not able to secure it to bike. The well nuts on top slip down then bottom do the same when I start to tighten them. I am holding it secure entire time. The design has it that their is nothing to hold, support them from slipping down. The washer in front does nothing to support them. It is just rubber that keeps it from slipping. This seems like it will be a recurring problem. I did not place any foam for support on it before. Was planning on placing after I bolted on. Also took off mra screen for install.

I know over tightening is not the the answer. Any help on this is greatly appreciated. This set up does make sense to me. There is nothing bracing or holding the screen up. All the force is on the rubber well nuts.

What am I missing??

Updated: use different well nuts. Seems to hold. Not sure if I over tighten the well nuts. It was a pain to remove one speaker panel because dealer put a light sensor for my headlight modulator on it. Had to cut a tie deep in to get slack on wire so I can remove panel. Not a good place to put it. This is lots of work to get access to those bolts.

I hope it holds , but worry this happens again. I put foam in as instructed by others.

Not happy with this situation. What a pain.

Last edited:

Thumper

Strange because I put a Cee Baileys on my wifes CTX before we rode across the US. I did cut it down from the original height but it hasn't moved at all. That would be about 8k miles now at high speeds and strong winds. I installed it the same way the OEM came off without foam. I only snugged the screws and did not over tighten them. Maybe that's the key. Have you contacted Cee Baileys to explain your problem?
Hopefully you got it fixed now since your update.

Downshifter

i at first had the same problem with new well nuts. So before putting the windshield on, I partially tightened the well nuts onto the frame to get them to compress a bit so they hold their position themselves...

Jim.....

Steven

When I put my CB shield on it would flex when a truck passed and after the addition of the x-creen it was more like a bend of about 4 inches with a passing truck. After adding the foam, it doesn't move. Just saying.

casper

Mine has stayed nice and snug. Put a stiffer rubber strip under the bottom edge and didn't over tighten the screws. Just til I felt good resist. 3k on it and no flex at all.