Main Causes of Crashes

purplesea

Speaking of safety equipment... Here's some top reasons for motorcycle accidents. Anyone dealt with any of these?

• The causes of many motorcycle
    crashes can be attributed to:
  • lack of basic riding skills
  • failure to appreciate the inherent
    operating characteristics
  • failure to appreciate the
    limitations of the motorcycle
  • failure to use special
    precautions while riding
  • failure to use defensive
    driving techniques.
  • lack of specific braking
    and cornering skills
  • failure to follow speed
    limit

purplesea

I like that, "CTX stands for Comfort, Technology, and eXperience"! Do you have a direct link to that post?

jace

I glad i haven't experience any of these crashes. The closest i got to a crash is falling off a bike because i couldn't support the weight of it. This was the first time i got on a bike. First and last time i felt off a bike.

ctx

Failure to appreciate the limitations of any vehicle is a huge cause of crashes worldwide. People go out and spend a lot of money on their bikes/cars and think that entitles them to drive like maniacs - not so! You have to respect the local road laws and respect the way your bike or car handles. I especially see people purposely toying with the limits of their vehicles in poor weather or weather that promotes reduced visibility; it's crazy and just plain stupid.

raowens19

Speeding is typically a major issue when it comes to causing crashes. It is scary to think of how many riders do not follow any of the safety precautions. This leads to more injuries and suffering when things such as speeding so cause awful crashes. It is genuinely horrific to see. I wish more people would be safe on the road so that these kinds of crashes and accidents simply did not happen as often as they do.

ballas123

I crashed my friends scrambler once by being stupid and showing off. At that time I did not have a helmet on and thankfully I only injured my leg. Others have not been so lucky as I have heard stories of men being killed because of not wearing their helmets. Its just like in a car you have to wear a safety belt so whenever you get on your bike,wear your helmet at all times because it just might save your precious valuable life.

Danch

Add the latest faulty anti-braking system to the potential accident-risk list. The numbers may be not much, but the Honda CTX-700 has met a road block with its ABS system causing Honda to call back bikes assembled after March 2013. No accidents have been reported, but it is risky business with the new safety feature itself being faulty.

Daboo

I would add that we tend to think of ourselves as invincible and get complacent after riding a short time...or a long time.

And what I see on our highways is the riders who take out their garage queens and leave the "rules of the road" back in the garage when they pull out of the driveway. Speed limits??? Nah...that's for cages and wimps. I feel invincible. Cars...and other bikes that aren't moving well over the speed limit...well they are pylons on my own personal race course.

Chris

willstat

I've found that other drivers are actually the main causes of motorcycle crashes. We are really at their mercy because they have over a thousand pounds of metal and we are on our tiny bikes. My only crash was due to the slick conditions during a rainstorm. I didn't have that good of turning/cornering skills as I was new to riding at the time. So, I agree, cornering skills are vital to safety and crash prevention.

Chaos

All riders will crash sooner all later. The main problem are the car drivers that think they own the road and never offer us priority. I had a few minor crashes because of this reason but because I always wear full protective gear I escaped uninjured. The second cause of motorcycle crashes are the unexperienced riders that make silly mistakes or go to fast. :rolleyes:

novasparker

I have been so incredbly fortunate that I have not yet experienced a motorcycle accident, but I accredit much of that to the fact that when I ride, I am very hypervigilent. I know that most people behind the wheel of cars rarely have their minds on what it going on on the road and bikers are hard to see, so I have to not only look at where I am going, but anticipate what the cars around me are going to do. It makes me a bit paranoid, but I think it's what's kept me safe.

hbmm

I had a minor accident and it has completely knocked my confidence on my bike now :/ I was injured for quite a few weeks and I feel like this has impact my driving skill and therefore makes me panic about crashing again

hbmm

I've had a minor crash and it has really knocked my confidence, I was injured for quite a few weeks and now I feel I lack the confidence and driving skills because I am questioning my driving skill, ahhhh :(

jonnypop

An obvious one is alcohol. Another is being TOO confident and ballsy out of your depth.

They also say never drive when angry. I can see why this makes sense.

jonnypop

I live in the lake district in the UK and it is very popular for bikers all year round.

We have a very high number of casualties and deaths because of this on the roads. :(

Trellum

An obvious one is alcohol. Another is being TOO confident and ballsy out of your depth.

They also say never drive when angry. I can see why this makes sense.

That;s soo true, if driving under the influence can be dangerous, now imagine riding a bike under the influence of it! It can surely get a lot people killed so easily. If you drink alcohol, then don't ride/drive. I can't believe there are people out there who ride and drink alcohol. Just crazy!

Trellum

All riders will crash sooner all later. The main problem are the car drivers that think they own the road and never offer us priority. I had a few minor crashes because of this reason but because I always wear full protective gear I escaped uninjured. The second cause of motorcycle crashes are the unexperienced riders that make silly mistakes or go to fast. :rolleyes:

I hope I never face an accident during my riding time :( I actually don't like the idea of riding around the city, because the drivers over here are very mean and they feel like they really own the road. Plus some of them can hardly drive and follow simple driving rules imposed by the police here. You need to be a really good rider in order to ride over here in middle of the city and not get killed in the attempt. I don't think I'm ready to ride around the city at all, not sure if I ever will be.

Trellum

Speaking of safety equipment... Here's some top reasons for motorcycle accidents. Anyone dealt with any of these?

• The causes of many motorcycle
    crashes can be attributed to:
  • lack of basic riding skills
  • failure to appreciate the inherent
    operating characteristics
  • failure to appreciate the
    limitations of the motorcycle
  • failure to use special
    precautions while riding
  • failure to use defensive
    driving techniques.
  • lack of specific braking
    and cornering skills
  • failure to follow speed
    limit

Over here most accidents have been directly or indirectly caused by some irresponsible drivers, who can't follow the simplest driving regulations. Over no one gives your priroty, not even when you are really entitled to it! Over here everyone wants to be first, and that's why there are a lot accidents involving ruthless drivers who don't seem to respect human life. I don't want to blame it all on the drivers tho. A lot accidents take place when the rider is unexperienced and tries to ride a really powerful machine.

firelily99

Bike riders have to be much better drivers that people behind the wheel of a car - it is what it is. Practice your skills a ton before you get on the road and keep them sharp. Expect the unexpected and you won't be disappointed. Never, never take a situation for granted!

bala

CRASHES are predominantly caused due to negligent driving,lack of experience in driving through onerous streches or the thrill to breach the designated speed limit.Whatever be it,either of them will spread across loom if we are destined to.To Curb accidents we should heed to signboards and stick to speed limits.Scenarios of late have been saddening to say the least,obviously we all know what happened to Paul Walker,it evokes tears the moment i say his name.Lets bear in mind that we need to live a full life.Its easier said than done,but at least giving safety a shot is not going to do much harm.