Touring Nova Scotia

Merlin III

I was just on another site and a Internet friend said she was going to do the Cabot Trail around Cape Brenton Island in Nova Scotia. I have done it a couple of times before in conjunction with my studies of the French colonization of North America. Thinking of doing it again. Do any other members have similar ideas? To me the essence of motorcycle travel is not speed or performance, but touring. I love seeing how everyday people live in their unique environment. Atlantic Canada is special to me. I hope to make it to Newfoundland someday.

Woodswoman

A pair of riding pals of mine just did the Cabot Trail, for the second time.

They reported the *exact* same thing happened both times: The ride started out wonderfully, then by the afternoon it went totally downhill, weather-wise and pleasure-wise. Fog, chill, and muddy road construction were major features.

Of course, this weather was an improvement on the conditions they had encountered just days earlier in Newfoundland. The wind was so brutal that they never even made it to the Atlantic side of the island.

That's the Atlantic Provinces for ya. Beautiful, and also ephemeral.

Merlin III

A pair of riding pals of mine just did the Cabot Trail, for the second time.

They reported the *exact* same thing happened both times: The ride started out wonderfully, then by the afternoon it went totally downhill, weather-wise and pleasure-wise. Fog, chill, and muddy road construction were major features.

Of course, this weather was an improvement on the conditions they had encountered just days earlier in Newfoundland. The wind was so brutal that they never even made it to the Atlantic side of the island.

That's the Atlantic Provinces for ya. Beautiful, and also ephemeral.

I have to admit that if one is going to Atlantic Canada, they should have good rain gear. :) , but as Woodswoman said, when it is good, it is good. Speaking French is also very helpful as you travel along the St. Lawrence River-Gaspe Peninsula on the return trip.