Standard Motorcycle Jack Adapter

MJC

Super Moderator
If you want to use a standard motorcycle jack, you can! Just use this Adapter. You install it (when needed) on your bike, You place it where the tabs are (these are the tabs that hang down and are used to bolt on a center stand), place the adapter over those tabs, sliding the 1/4" rod from the kick stand side, through the adapter, through the tabs and out to the muffler. By doing this the adapter will hold in place so you can place your motorcycle jack under the adapter. It will also stop you from putting the kick stand up and riding with the adapter still on your bike. I use this adapter with a motorcycle lift I got from Pittsburgh Automotive - Item#61632, which you can get at Harbor Freight Tools for under $80. There is no need to use a 2 by under the tires, just (what I do) park your bike on the kick stand, place the adapter on the bike, slide the jack under and pump it up. When you place the jack under the bike, from the right side, the rear plate on the jack goes under the adapter, the front plate on the jack will line up with the front of the engine, most of the weight of the bike will be on the adapter but same will be on the engine. I checked with Honda and they said, the engine is part of the frame and can be used in this manner. I should note that after I get the bike up on the jack I like to use a Ratcheting Tie Down, just for safety.
You can see the adapter in use in the photo, note the rod is in the way of the kick stand, photo taken from side/rear of bike. photo/drawings are here too if you would like to make one. Use 1 inch square stock about 18" long, 2- 1/4" by 1" long slotted bolts, with lock washers and nuts and one 1/4" threaded rod that you bend to make a handle about 20" long. Hardest part in making this is, do not make the bottom part too long because you have to reach in the ends to put the washer and nut on the bolt. Or you could weld them on. If there is a need I could make some of these adapters and mail one to you, I am not looking to start a adapter making company to make money. Only posting to share the info that it can be done and how to make the adapter. If you have questions or want one please PM me, ride on.........
DSCF3730.jpg
DSCF3729.jpgDSCF3733.jpgDSCF3783.jpgDSCF3781.jpg
Note that the extra holes in this adapter are not needed, they where there in the used 1" metal sq. stock I used..lol.

ofdave

Great info
I sold my jack about a year ago and now wish I had it back so I could use it on the CTX.
Here is living proof that what "can't be done" really can be done!

Dub3

Below is photo of adapt her I made following plans provided. The only difference is I used 1 1/2" tubing not 1". WOW is rock steady on the jack. Thanks for the postimage.jpg

Oops photo is upside down for some reason

MJC

Super Moderator
Rebel13, the King of misinformation is at it again, telling members you can't use a MC jack. Rebel13 & the jack..

I read that by the misinformation king.....and he says the center stand uses the frame to hold up the bike....Yes and so does this motorcycle adapter....MAYBE he just wants to remind King...LOL. I have used this adapter many times now and DUB3 made one too, we can both say "Yes a standard mc jack can be used and it will not hurt your bike in any way and you will be safe using it. I have to say, you make and use the adapter at your own risk, has I only have used it for myself and like anything if you do not use it right you may get hurt. Plus I do not have much and no insurance to cover a law suit. This adapter works, just use it safely, tie the bike down and have fun....

randy1149

Its never a good idea to condem an idea so strongly, on an assumption, when you dont know what it is, or how it works. Just one of my rare opinions.

Aloha

There are 2 mods over there that puke out many, strongly assumptions on subjects they know nothing about and exercise their moderator powers to warn an ban anybody who has the nerve to challenge their "wisdom"... it's called "disrespecting the moderator." I know because I was found guilty of high crimes, misdemeanors AND disrespecting to a moderator. I was so good at it they indicted me 3 times, found me guilty and banned. Their banning is really just a waste of time and nothing more than a hallow gesture because there's many ways to log back in again... if you want.

Last edited:

Novac18

There are 2 mods over there that puke out many, strongly assumptions on subjects they know nothing about and exercise their moderator powers to warn an ban anybody who has the nerve to challenge their wisdom... it's called "disrespecting the moderator."

Yes, I noticed that posting there can have adverse and disrespectful responses to your knowledge or honest opinions. That caused me to google for another forum,... Glad I found this one!

Aloha

Merlin III

Sorry, I haven't followed this thread, but I was just wondering. I have never used a MC jack and I don't know of anyone else who has either. Besides the obvious function of a jack, what specifically would one be used for? Thanks in advance.

Dub3

Sorry, I haven't followed this thread, but I was just wondering. I have never used a MC jack and I don't know of anyone else who has either. Besides the obvious function of a jack, what specifically would one be used for? Thanks in advance.

My old bones are not as flexible as they use to be:) I use it to raise the bike to my level so I can clean/lub chain, change oil, make adjustments, do routine maintanece, check tires all while the bike is level and steady. I know there are other means to skin this cat but I prefer this one, As do a lot of shops that work on bikes. My jack allows me to move the bike around if desired.

MJC

Super Moderator

Change the tires, maintenance, whenever you would like the bike sitting straight up, off the ground or high up. I also use it to store the bike off the ground and covered for winter.

Steven

I don't need a jack at this point, but I've made note of this thread and will come back to it when I need to. It's a good idea.

Last edited:

ponydrvr

My old bones are not as flexible as they use to be:) I use it to raise the bike to my level so I can clean/lub chain, change oil, make adjustments, do routine maintanece, check tires all while the bike is level and steady. I know there are other means to skin this cat but I prefer this one, As do a lot of shops that work on bikes. My jack allows me to move the bike around if desired.

I'm with you on the lift. I bought a lift table six years ago and is the one accessory I would not do without.

Woodswoman

I'm with Dub3 -- sometimes I just *like* to be able to work on my bike without doing so on my knees.

This option is great. I'm toying with the idea of removing my center stand so I could do this instead.

randy1149

Caught your post on the other side (Link) Rebel is sticking to his nonsense right to the bitter end. According to mjc, Honda was contacted and they said the engine is part of the frame and it can be used for a MC jack... maybe Rebel should know that... as he is sinking like the Titanic on his incorrect information full of holes.

MJC

Super Moderator
Caught your post on the other side (Link) Rebel is sticking to his nonsense right to the bitter end. According to mjc, Honda was contacted and they said the engine is part of the frame and it can be used for a MC jack... maybe Rebel should know that... as he is sinking like the Titanic on his incorrect information full of holes.

Let me quote what he said:

"You only have one possible lifting point on the CTX for a motorcyce lift, that is where a center stand can be mounted."
That is where this adapter locks into.

"You cannot make one without additional forward support! Otherwise, no forward support and the front wheel will remain on the ground rendering the lift half usefull. That would mean resting a majority of the weight on the engine and oil pan since more of the weight is forward from center."
Not true, once in place the adapter is locked at these points, then the cross brakes is under the supports. Once you put your jack under the adapter, 80% of the bikes weight is supported by the adapter. Just like he says "the front wheel will remain on the ground" yes because the weight of the bike is being supported by the adapter, not the engine. And if you keep lifting the weight come off the front wheel...You just have to keep lifting, lol.

" The engine is not designed to hold access weight. The frame is designed to hold weight. The engine can be used as part of the frame structure by design, but not as a major weight load carrier. The frame cradles the engine, the engine doesn't cradle the frame."
Not true, Honda says " the engine is designed to be part of the frame" The frame has to be designed to hold the weight of the bike and the rider plus extra, up to it's weight limit.

And now the best part, I called and talked to Honda, sent phones etc. I was told to bring my bike and the adapter to a Honda Shop. I did, they not only said it was fine to use, they where my one and only sell of the adapter. I was later told that where this adapter locks to the bike is where Honda bolts the frame to the line while they are being made. So if you want bolt the adapter to your bike (while on the jack, do not leave adapter bolted to bike) and this will let the adapter hold 100% of the bikes weight. You could just use it has is, and if you where not working on the front wheel, put blocks under it. Or do like me and just use it has in post #1, and know that person is just a ass and thinks he knows more then Honda. I do not want my adapter info shared on the other site, I can not stop you from sharing it, just asking. If you make your own adapter and share what you made, that is you to you. But has you can read (from the other site) some people know it all anyway and do not need your help...lol.