Just arrived from the Dark Side

Woodswoman

It must be true, you're here!

LOL! Hadn't looked at it that way.

Hoping to share knowledge about the CTX and motorcycles/riding in general.

I've been a rider for 14 years, and in that time I've had 7 or 8 bikes. The smallest bike I've ever owned was a Honda Elite 80 scooter; the largest was an 1800-cc Victory Cross Roads touring bike.

My CTX700 is making me happier than any bike has in a long time. :)

Steven

AND... you own a very cool Russell Day Long seat... BTW, That's the one I'm going to get later this year. The way I figure it, if I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars on a seat, I may as well spend a little more and get the best.

I got my bike early last year and I've put about 10,000 miles on it. That says it all, don't you think?

ofdave

this place just got better!!
welcome!
now you need to start a thread
maybe on dealing with helmet hair in high humidity or something
wouldn't be helpful to Thumper or me though, no hair
do post a few pics or do a gallery-your bike looks good

Merlin III

I've been a rider for 14 years, and in that time I've had 7 or 8 bikes. The smallest bike I've ever owned was a Honda Elite 80 scooter; the largest was an 1800-cc Victory Cross Roads touring bike.

Woodswoman, It is always a pleasure to have you as company.

randy1149

Happy riders are always welcome. The happier the better.

Woodswoman

AND... you own a very cool Russell Day Long seat... BTW, That's the one I'm going to get later this year. The way I figure it, if I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars on a seat, I may as well spend a little more and get the best.

You won't regret it one bit, Steven.

I know, it's not a Corbin (c'mon, everybody genuflect), but I freaking love it, and the fact that it was built to my specifications. And the way Russell Cycles stands behind the product, allowing you to send it back for multiple adjustments, is neat.

Last edited:

Steven

You won't regret it one bit, Steven.

I know, it's not a Corbin (c'mon, everybody genuflect), but I freaking love it, and the fact that it was built to my specifications. And the way Russell Cycles stands behind the product, allowing you to send it back for multiple adjustments, is neat.

The one thing I didn't understand is, if you research seats, the RDL is clearly the best seat on the market, but when the subject of aftermarket seats came up, the RDL seemed more of an after thought than the main contender, except for your posts. I wonder if it was the looks?

Woodswoman

Yeah. I was so excited about being Russell Cycle's first CTX700 customer. I dashed over to the Forum to share the good news ... and pretty much heard the sound of crickets in response.

The looks of an RDL are somewhat unconventional, no doubt. Fortunately, so are the looks of a CTX700. ;)

And then there's the fact it's not the least expensive choice out there. A few years ago, a Corbin cost almost as much as an RDL, and Corbin's offering was one size fits all, versus Russell's built-for-you approach. But now Corbin has lowered its price, and offers two models, so the RDL is seen as overpriced. <Shrug>

Anyway, I'll be happy if at least ONE other CTX owner believes me that the RDL seat is the bomb!

Steven

Woodswoman,

I've seen you mention the RDL a few times, and you're right, crickets in the room... Sad, very sad.

From what I read, compared to the Corbin, the RDL has better support and the foam is adjusted for each rider individually. You also mentioned that the RDL has a little bit of give on the bumps,whereas the Corbin, not so much. You might have thought that no one was listening to you, but I was.

MJC

Super Moderator
Yeah. I was so excited about being Russell Cycle's first CTX700 customer. I dashed over to the Forum to share the good news ... and pretty much heard the sound of crickets in response.

The looks of an RDL are somewhat unconventional, no doubt. Fortunately, so are the looks of a CTX700. ;)

And then there's the fact it's not the least expensive choice out there. A few years ago, a Corbin cost almost as much as an RDL, and Corbin's offering was one size fits all, versus Russell's built-for-you approach. But now Corbin has lowered its price, and offers two models, so the RDL is seen as overpriced. <Shrug>

Anyway, I'll be happy if at least ONE other CTX owner believes me that the RDL seat is the bomb!

I think the RDL is the Bomb! I would have let them make my seat but I made (re-did) it myself, did it the same way and used the same materials they use, adding the drivers backrest too, only I had to reuse the stock sit cover. To make a seat fit right, it has to be made for each rider, one at a time, there is no other way. So if you think about it, RDL prices are not that bad at all. It takes me about 4 hours to make a seat, plus about $150 in materials, if you where to add the material cost for a new cover and labor, plus a shop to work out of, anything under $600 is cheap. Corbin seats are better then stock, nice covers, form is harder and has to be worked in by the person sitting on it and they are made in about one hour, add that up for what you get, over priced seat, just my 2 cents.
BTW, R U Happy Now!