Replace Headlight Bulb CTX700D w/Fairing.

randy1149

I always run with the high beam to been seen better, so the high beam burnt out. Go to ebay get 2 55/60W H4 bulbs for $6. This is for the CTX with a fairing, it was easier than I expected.

From the rear of the bike to the front here's the hardware.
1. The 3P electrical connector.
2. The rubber boot around the whole bulbs mounting.
3. The bulb.
4. The spring wire holding the bulb in.

Replace bulb procedure:
1. Remove the left fake speaker grill (Front Inner Cover) to get easy access to the bulb.
2. Remove the 3P connector.
3. Pull on tab(s) on boot to pull off.
4. On right side of spring wire push down and out to release.
5. Remove bulb.

Install new bulb, reverse above procedure.

Just a word of caution, there's a temptation here to put a 80/100W bulb for brighter head lights. The problem with that is the extra wattage (HEAT) has no place to disperse in the head light housing and the housing can melt. The other problem is all the connectors and switches that the head light current goes thru will be stressed from the added current flow. Yes connectors and switches do have wattage ratings. Keep the head light stock. Add some aux lights with additional wiring is the best way to go if you need better lights.

Last edited:

Merlin III

You remove, as I recall, one bolt and two of those damn push pin plastic couplers. It is pretty easy to take it apart, but getting those damn push pins back in is a PITA, and if you are like me, expect to lose a few. Specifically, you lift it up.

Thumper

I think I was able to do it without the removal. I went in from under the front cowling and worked blind but it was pretty easy. You just reminded me though, I should pack a couple of extra bulbs for our bikes. They don't take much room and Murphys law dictates it! :)

randy1149

You can change the bulbs from under the cowling blind. Although I think it's a little easier if your standing up and looking down at the job at task. The fake speaker is removed with 2-5mm bolts and one push clip and then pops out with some jiggling around, careful of the plastics tabs on the fake speaker. To release the clip I use a a 3mm hex wrench w/45 degree angle, just push hard on that little pin in the center of the clip until it clicks down into the body of the clip. To install, pull out the center pin about 1/2 way, then insert into the body of the clip and bush the center pin back in... done.

The push in clips are $1.50 each from Honda or the dealer. You can get 100, yes 100 for $4.98 plus shipping at ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Pcs-6mm...ash=item5d63ac29cc:g:We4AAOSwp5JWZTYa&vxp=mtr Check the measurement from your OEM rivet to MAKE SURE your getting the correct size. I know 100 will last you and all future relatives on this and other planets but it's better than the $1.50 each from Honda. And to my not so handy do it yourselvers... you may need the hundred, they fall into that black hole somewhere around your engine that you can never find.

Last edited:

Merlin III

From memory, my dealer charged me what amounted ton 3.71 per pin. Said he had to special order them and I had to pay for shipping, hence the 3.71. Just to clarify, those 6mm pins you referenced are the ones used on the CTX? If so, I will order a pack right now. Out of the ten or so that I purchased, I lost half of them down inside the black void. Thanks.

randy1149

From memory, my dealer charged me what amounted ton 3.71 per pin. Said he had to special order them and I had to pay for shipping, hence the 3.71. Just to clarify, those 6mm pins you referenced are the ones used on the CTX? If so, I will order a pack right now. Out of the ten or so that I purchased, I lost half of them down inside the black void. Thanks.

Yes 6mm fits the CTX.

burdicda

Actually the plastic rivets come in two (2) sizes and three types
There are only two of the 5mm rivets on the whole bike they are used to hold in the headlight assy
5mmSmRivits.jpg

The remaining rivits are 6mm larger rivets use throughout the tupperware
6mmLgRivits.jpg

or the large ones with a cross-point or "phillips" screw driver stem
6mmCrossPtRivets.jpg

Now this level of technical detail is what is needed to jump start this forum to be better than
the ctx700forum (without the dash).

Last edited:

burdicda

Thanks for going to the trouble to let us know how you are doing things "Randy1149" I have a 2016 CTX700DG DCT ABS w/fairing and am always looking carefully to make sure the techie how-to's relate to my bike...Shout out to Thumper also...you are my hero...LOL

randy1149

The "rivets" in the Tupperwear are 6mm, don't waste your money when for 1/2 the price of 3 or 4 from Honda when you can get 100 of them... and send me a few? When you drop one while working they fall down into the CTX700 Black Hole, which is not documented in any of the manuals. Only Honda knows where it is and they are not willing to share it with the owners.

The not to well known fact is the Black Hole (BH) can only hold about 10 or 12 rivets. Honda recommends if your going to remove the plastic you should first drop about 15 of them down into the BH. This way if you drop any while taking the plastic off some of the rivets will drop past the BH and onto the floor and your sure to find a few that have not fallen into the BH. So buy a pack of 100 then drop 15 of them down before taking the bike apart. :D Buy 'em here at ebay 6mm rivets.

Last edited:

Merlin III

I bought the 100 pack as per Randy's prior post. They are as advertised. The only screw up was that they infer a faster delivery time than they can do. I don't remember for sure the time lapse, but it had to be about 40 days before mine arrived. Did I mention that I hate those things and even more I hate the cramped spaces they place them on the Tupperware.

Shanghai Dan

I think I was able to do it without the removal. I went in from under the front cowling and worked blind but it was pretty easy. You just reminded me though, I should pack a couple of extra bulbs for our bikes. They don't take much room and Murphys law dictates it! :)

That is how I did it - from the bottom. Reach up, replace, done.