Follow Across America

Thumper

We leave on Thursday morning (6/16/16) heading up to Michigan. One week there with TheMagsters family, and then on to San Diego for a week with my family. Then we make our way back to Florida! I plan on several cool rides along theway: The Wabash Cannonball Bridge (A very long, one lane wooden bridge in Illinois). Also, planning on crossing Loveland Pass in Colorado. Dropping down from there across Mohab desert area.

https://www.findmespot.com/spotadventures/index.php/view_adventure?tripid=344510

It will update every ten minutes, and you can streetview to see wher we are on the trip.
I hope you enjoy the ride, as I know we will!

Last edited:

ofdave

I'm excited for you both.
great link so we can keep up.
Ride safe, see ya when you get back

just checked the link-looks good
But how do we get a street view?

Last edited:

Thumper

Streetview! Sorry, looks like that is only available to the actual account holder. Bummer! However, I will try to post up pics on that site for anyone that wants to see them. I definitely plan on taking some video of a couple of area we are going through that will be interesting.

randy1149

Very cool Thumper, wish all the best for a very good ride with loads of fun safety. I'll be watching with a lot of envy.

Thumper

We made it to Huntsville, Al. today. About 650 miles in two days, with some torrential downpours. Bikes are great and riders are hanging out at the hotel pool with beverage in hand. Magster put us on some great sweeper roads coming in today. Tommorrow night we will be in Indianna. Not sure our Spot tracking is working as well as we hoped. I have had several people tell me they are able to see our tracks, (one posted a screen capture of it) but for the life of me, this technology is totally foreign to this old fart! :)

ofdave

Sounds like a good time, especially the pool and beverage.
I don't see any tracking, just the emblem for you and a blank map when I click on it.
Technology is foreign to most of us old farts! That's why we have 14 yr. old neighbor kids or grandkids-to guide us through!
Keep on enjoying your ride.

Thumper

I am not sure Randy! I can bring it up if I sign in with my administrative password but I thought that anyone could follow along by looking up the findmespot adventures site. It doesn't seem to work that way. I can't post up my actual username and password so this looks to be a totally useless waste of time for others to follow along. It's probably just me not understanding how to set it up correctly.
Anyway, we are in Evansville, Indiana tonight and the weather is incredible! Tomorrow, we ride the Wabash Cannonball bridge! Look it up on YouTube! Very cool and I will be using the GoPro for that one. I will try to post a pic up after we stop for the night.
If anyone does Facebook, you can follow some of my picture updates at Thumper McKenzie or Instagram Ridefar.
Great trip so far and I can't believe this is only our 3rd day of about a month and half on the road!

MJC

Super Moderator
I can not follow you at that site so I put in for a friend request on facebook, if that is ok with you. (Mike M J Cxxx)
Not sure if I got the right person ( Thumper McKenzie), there is a photo of a man with two girls, if that is you. If not you then I just requested the wrong guy and he is more then likely thinking who the Fxxx is this..lol. Ride On!

Thumper

Hey, that's me when I had hair, and those two little bundles of joy are my granddaughters. I haven't seen your friend request show up yet. I will definitely friend you as soon as it shows up. We are in Michigan now with family for a week and then on the road again. TheMagster now has 52k miles on her CTX and it is running like a champ!
I'll post a couple of pics up from the Wabash soon. Our video turned out fantastic and will post that up to Youtube when I get a chance.

Thumper

In Michigan! Weather has been great the last two days and the CTX is now at 52k miles and running great!
We rode the Wabash Cannonball bridge between Illinois and Indiana. Historical old Railroad bridge that is very long and supposedly haunted. It was an incredible ride and I'll post a video when I get back home and can use a real computer.
One week here and then heading to San Diego, CA. where I hear we will be hitting record heat crossing the desert!ride-across-bridge_2.jpgus-on-wabash_2.jpg

randy1149

I am not sure Randy! I can bring it up if I sign in with my administrative password but I thought that anyone could follow along by looking up the findmespot adventures site. It doesn't seem to work that way. I can't post up my actual username and password so this looks to be a totally useless waste of time for others to follow along. It's probably just me not understanding how to set it up correctly.
Anyway, we are in Evansville, Indiana tonight and the weather is incredible! Tomorrow, we ride the Wabash Cannonball bridge! Look it up on YouTube! Very cool and I will be using the GoPro for that one. I will try to post a pic up after we stop for the night.
If anyone does Facebook, you can follow some of my picture updates at Thumper McKenzie or Instagram Ridefar.
Great trip so far and I can't believe this is only our 3rd day of about a month and half on the road!

Well $hit happens. Glad your enjoying the trip. Don't knock yourself out with on the go, you can post some when you get back.

Stay well and safe from the CTX700 crowd.

Merlin III

Thumper

Very cool that the map works! Thanks again Merlin! We have looked at this over and over and heading to San Diego just means cutting south across Mohab to cut down on time. However, we do use Camelbak 2 liter hydration units in our tank bags, and we fill them with ice every morning and water with gatorade mix. It's all good, and we will be fine! Hard rain/wind is what beats us up more! It's just brutal to ride all day in those conditions and try to make 400 miles or more. So, flexibility is key and I pull rank on if we ride on or seek a hotel shelter to ride it out. Thanks for the maps and tech information. I hope you can follow along! I will be posting to Facebook under Thumper Mckenzie and Instagram under Ridefar for pictures and short messages. We head up to Clare Michigan on Friday and then deadhead to Peoria Illinois on Sunday. It's heading west from there. BTW Steven, if your wife is like mine, she probably already has you on satellite tracking and you just don't know it!

Thumper

Made it into Peoria, Il. We hit a real gully washer first thing leaving Clare, Mi but put the water gear on and hammered through to the Ferry without issue. A kid on a CBR we passed coming into the ferry was soaked. He strapped down next to me and when we went down to unstrap the bikes, TheMagster was on the other side of my bike undoing my strap, when the kids bike decides to take a nap against her. She was ok but the kids bike may have suffered a little as it also hit my crash bars on the Vstrom and they are invincible! I helped him get the bike up and checked that she was unscathed (she is fine) and his bike would be ok for riding. He must have either bumped his bike when unstrapping or let the strap loose to quickly and the tension sent it over. All is good and I felt really bad for the kid as I know he was really on the noob side. Experience for the next time I guess and other riders might not be so easy on him.
Westward bound from here for the next few days. Click on Ridefar and follow our routes:

https://login.findmespot.com/spot-main-web/myaccount/share/list.html

Password: 2wheels