Got a Bike Stand

MJC

Super Moderator
Well I read somewhere (not here) that the best way to jack up the CTX was to use a Bike Stand. So I got one off ebay. WRONG, It is not going to pick up the rear (swing arm) because (I should have looked before) the parking brake is in the way on one side and the other side the sprocket is in the way. The only way it will work is if I install bolts under the swing arm for the stand to attach too. So I go back and re-read about jacking up the CTX, the post says, a motorcycle jack can not be used because there is no frame to hold the bike onto the jack, using a stand/life is the best way to go. Then it goes on about everything you can do while your bike is on the stand, after about 60 more posts from other people about how great this OP was for sharing about the stand, the OP says OOOO you need to wield 1/2" nuts to the bottom of your swing arm, then tread 1/2" bolts into those nuts so you can hook the stand onto them to raise the bike up on the stand/lift. What BS, What it should have said was, you can not use a motorcycle jack or bike stand/lift without making mods to your bike. I should have never assumed what I was reading was right in the first place and should have checked for myself before ordering the stand/lift. Just makes me mad when people say things can not be done one way and you should do it other way and then they leave out info on what has to be been to do something they said for you to do in the first place, like I should know that info before hand. Just a note here, If you read something about any mod or change I made to my bike, I will only post what I know works and all the details you will need to know, up front, in the 1st post, and if you have any questions I am willing to answer them. ......end of rant, sorry, just hate wasting money and time.
BTW,I am going to make a attachment for my motorcycle jack to pick up my bike, then I will post pixs so you can see it can be done. And maybe find a use for the stand/lift I got off ebay................

ofdave

A stand is a useful tool. There is an adapter I've seen the bolts on to the swingarm and provides the two points needed for the stand to hook into. You might search for them.
Here's one https://www.amazon.com/Motorsport-P...dp/B00M9MLRGS?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0
here's another http://www.kapscomoto.com/product_p/smi3001-p.htm
Can't find the one that bolts on each side of the swingarm and gives you spools to hook the stand on
wait-here they are https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OBWSJ5..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=CAWZ9GRFQN77PA2ZF2FR
For a CB500 but there may be others or the swingarm may be the same size and it'll work.
A good alternative is a centerstand-invaluable to me.

MJC

Super Moderator
A stand is a useful tool. There is an adapter I've seen the bolts on to the swingarm and provides the two points needed for the stand to hook into. You might search for them.
Here's one https://www.amazon.com/Motorsport-P...dp/B00M9MLRGS?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0
here's another http://www.kapscomoto.com/product_p/smi3001-p.htm
Can't find the one that bolts on each side of the swingarm and gives you spools to hook the stand on
wait-here they are https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OBWSJ5..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=CAWZ9GRFQN77PA2ZF2FR
For a CB500 but there may be others or the swingarm may be the same size and it'll work.
A good alternative is a centerstand-invaluable to me.

Thanks for the info. The stand I got has the paddle attachments to lift the rear wheel from the swingarm but my brake line is in the way. I will have to use spools just did not know this before buying the stand/lift. Now that I do , I am not going to spend that kind of money ($45-$70) on bolt on spools. I may just get the center stand or make something for my jack, do not know yet. I am working on (from your idea and what you have done) my kick stand, so we will see how that comes out and go from there. I guess I started this tread to point out (that on the other forum) people post things and leave out details that are important or post info that is just not true. And I got court up in reading what they said and it cost me lost time and money. Guess that is my way of saying I do not believe that persons' treads should be believed and although he may believe he is, he is not the ctx700 GOD, or really knows what he is talking about. I for one, and know people here would not post things in that manner.

ofdave

@mjc
not sure how the brake line is in the way-it's on top of the swingarm
the bolt-on adapter would fit under it I bet
Good thing about a jack-it can lift the whole bike
Bad thing about a jack-it can be unstable-and fabricating lift points/blocks can be a PITA.
A centerstand allows easy rear wheel and chain access. To get the front of the ground you need to weigh down the rear of the bike-so one wheel at a time in the air.
Maybe there'll be other ideas soon.

MJC

Super Moderator
ofdave, I have the DCT, the parking brake is under the swing-arm and the rear brake line is on top. I think a center stand would work well for me but I do not want to carry it around with me. It is a weight thing with me, if I do not add weight to my bike then I do not have to lose pounds off me....lol, I lost 50 pounds to get to 250, now that it is BBQ time, any more will be hard...lol...

randy1149

mjc, I could have written your post verbatim. I have a rear wheel swingarm stand that does not work without modifications, a MC jack that needs MC and/or modification, and a MC wheel cleaning stand that's worthless.

None of the above worked for me without more modifications and MORE money. I was not comfortable raising the bike by myself with the flat paddles that came with the swingarm stand. I had to cut the lips off the paddles to get them to work on the CTX, but not very stable. Changing over to spools was a fix but would be over $100 mod (ouch). Plus I can't get the bike off the ground while away from home. So I ended up going the center stand addition. BUT the center stand does not go without issues. The stand was engineered for a NC bike not a CTX. So it's a little longer than it should be making it just requires a little more umph to get the bike on the stand. Some of us (me included) put the rear wheel on a 2X4 making the mount an easy lift. At the end of the day I prefer the center stand than the swingarm stand or MC jacking. It's always there any where if needed. Because Honda never intended to put a center stand on it we're stuck with options with issues. You may have to loose another 10 lbs. though.

Thumper

Ditto on the Center Stand! Invaluable if you plan on any traveling at all, as the chain has to be lubed after 500 miles. Unfortunately, adding the center stand for this bike makes lifting a little tougher. It is made for a taller frame bike, so getting the CTX up is harder than my Vstrom DL1000! I'm almost 65 yrs young and can manage it, but it is harder. Just saying!

ofdave

found this
http://www.motorcyclejacks.com/adapter.shtml
you can almost get a centerstand for the same price
or this http://redlinestands.com/catalog/ac...ift-motorcycle-atv-adapters-ships-free-p-1572
I used a Craftsman bike lift on my Valkyries and had to make an adaptor from wood to kit under it. There was a how to on a forum-it worked on 2 Valks for many years. There was also a bolt on adaptor that stayed on the bike-never tried it.
You may wind up just having to build something your self.
If you build something be sure to keep us posted.

MJC

Super Moderator
Well I know the center stand would likely be what I should use but there is no way I would be able to get my bike on it. With my back there is no way to get it up, I can not pick up more then 7 pounds, and my leg is not strong, so I would not be able to push the bike onto the center stand...I just spent the day fixing the CB windshield that broke when my bike fell over, and I am in big time pain. Anyway I used the stock shield, cut it just below the part that covers it, then glued (welded) it to the base of the CB shield, then used new longer bolts, and made some brackets to firm up or hold the ends that go out to the sides and are (where) just out there with no support. Now the CB shield is on there, part of the fairing and solid. I also bolted on the top edge I made (angles the air up and over my head, plus it is wider too) So now all I have to do is test ride it.... Maybe after my Doc visit tomorrow. Everyone, thank you for the info, web sites, and ideas.......

Merlin III

Copy here on the back. As I said, I use wood under the rear wheel when using the centerstand. I also use a strap that is hooked into that looped metal piece under the seat to give leverage without bending my back. At home I get my wife to help me, just for insurance. On the road, I have even asked a stranger for help and have never been refused.

This gray hair and gray beard comes in handy when on the road. Everyone sees their dad in me. :)