Centerstand

ofdave

There is a centerstand available for our bikes. It is for the NC700S (a model we don't get in the US).
It is available from WebbikeJapan
here's a link http://japan.webike.net/ps/08M70MGSJ10/#!search&p.k=08M70MGSJ10
You will need the stopper to go with it. Do not install or use the stand without the stopper.
Stand part no.: 08M70-MGS-J10.
Stopper no.:35-21-01
There is no other centerstand for our bikes that I am aware of. Shipping usually takes less than 2 weeks.
Installation is not difficult except for attaching the springs-it is a bit tough and uses a lot of your vocabulary.
I understand the stopper is backordered until maybe July. Unless you are talented enough to fabricate one, don't get impatient and install the stand without one.

Last edited:

Steven

I've got mine, but the install was very easy. I didn't have to stretch the spring. I just laid the stand under the bike, connected the springs and lifted the stand into position, began inserting the rod and used that as a leverage point. Then all I had to do was push the far end on the stand into position and push the rod the rest of the way in.

I don't know how anyone can live without the center stand.

ofdave

The centerstand is, for me, almost a "must have" for lubing the chain. It is also more than handy for cleaning and just checking things out.
I tried to install the way Steven did but could not pull the right side of the stand back enough to push the bolt through.
Others have done it that way, but I used the old screwdriver trick and levered the spring on to the lower mount on the stand.
Plus, they just look cool on a centerstand.

randy1149

A center stand is a must for a chain driven bike. I used a ratchet tie down to pull the springs. I wish the stand was a little shorter, it's a struggle for me to get it up on it. I ride up the rear wheel with a 2x4 and it eliminates the struggle part.

Merlin III

Yes, the CS is too long. I too use a 2x4. I wish I was a welder so that I could cut off 3/4 of an inch of the stand. It would almost be worth it to hire out the process to someone else. I had it professionally done once where they cut and welded both the side stand and center stand. They gave me a finished product that looked like it was right out of the factory for 300 dollars.

ofdave

I have the "gonzo mod" on my rear shock-I guess it raises the bike just enough so getting it on the centerstand only takes a small grunt.

MJC

Super Moderator
Hello everyone, I think I will have to get a center stand, but from what I read here I will most likely not be able to put the bike on it. Some say use the 2 by 4 and one person said "I wish I was a welder so that I could cut off 3/4 of an inch of the stand". With that being said If I buy the stand and cut the 3/4" off would the stand work? I looked at the site that has the stand for sell and from the photos it does look like I can cut the two legs from the bottom feet plate and make new feet and weld them on, So my question is, is the room from the feet up to where the other parts are welded on to do this without have to go higher up? It is hard to see if there is 3/4 of a inch from the feet to the other parts that are welded on in the photos. Has anyone cut their stand? If I do get and cut and weld a center stand I would only do it once, doing the cut and weld 1st, then install it on the bike. If it does work I would have no problem doing it for other members, just send the CS to me, or have the seller send your stand to me, and I will make/do the mods and send it to you. Maybe I could make new feet plates weld them to a rod and people could cut their stands, and slide the rod (with the feet plate attached) and just drill and bolt these on....thinking...this is how I get in trouble......So let me know if there is the room for cutting and maybe we can get in trouble together...lol.

Steven

I didn't cut mine, but here are some pictures that might help make that decision... Oh yeah, I know I need to sweep the floor...

IMG_6494-1.jpgIMG_6495-1.jpg

ofdave

The only issue I see with shortening the stand is not altering the connection of the spring.
Otherwise, I don't see a problem.

Merlin III

You guys are probably way a head of me here, but I will say it any how. I cut a section of the stand OUT in the middle and then welded the upper part and the bottom part back together.

randy1149

Well... take a good look at the diagram of the stand below and find places to cut 1-1/2" to 2" off on each side of the stand and re-weld the tube back on... it scares me just thinking about it. Both feet must be exactly the same length after the cutting an welding to keep the bike balanced and centered in premounting the bike up on the stand. Then as dave mentioned the springs which will have to be cut down to make up for shorting the tubes. Cutting and bending spring steel is not a walk in the park.

IMHO and to all here... at $100 a pop for stand and stopper cutting the stand can be a very easy to f*()*k up, I'd go with the 2x4... which I did. You can put another inch under the wheel and the stand will practically mount itself.

Attachments

• Stand.jpg
    Stand.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 188

Novac18

I've got mine, but the install was very easy. I didn't have to stretch the spring. I just laid the stand under the bike, connected the springs and lifted the stand into position, began inserting the rod and used that as a leverage point. Then all I had to do was push the far end on the stand into position and push the rod the rest of the way in.

I don't know how anyone can live without the center stand.

I did the same with the same results. Surely a must have. For the stopper, I installed a nut on the other side of the bolt for security. A bit of a tight spot but keeps the bolt from getting loose when the stand hits it.

Aloha

Last edited:

Merlin III

Well... take a good look at the diagram of the stand below and find places to cut 1-1/2" to 2" off on each side of the stand and re-weld the tube back on... it scares me just thinking about it. Both feet must be exactly the same length after the cutting an welding to keep the bike balanced and centered in premounting the bike up on the stand. Then as dave mentioned the springs which will have to be cut down to make up for shorting the tubes. Cutting and bending spring steel is not a walk in the park.

IMHO and to all here... at $100 a pop for stand and stopper cutting the stand can be a very easy to f*()*k up, I'd go with the 2x4... which I did. You can put another inch under the wheel and the stand will practically mount itself.

I hear you. Cutting the stand is not for the faint of heart. I did just draw it up in my CAD program. I made some assumptions and took some rough measurements. All information is for discussion only.

If your tire friction point to friction point is 60 inches, and the center line axis of the center stand is 23 inches along the friction line from the rear tire friction point, your rear wheel will be 4" off the ground when your extended center stand is 2.47" below the friction point to friction point line. If you want to reduce the rear tire height when up on the stand from 4 inches to 2 inches, then you would need to cut 1.23" off your center stand. I do not know what the cutting potential is for this stand as mentioned by Dave and Steve.

On some bikes the rear tire only rises off the pavement 1 inch which may be enough to take off a tire or lube a chain. Some people actually ride off of their center stand and routinely use it for everyday parking.
Centerstand.jpg

randy1149

Merlin III my hat is off to you for even attempting cutting and welding the stand all by yourself.

Reading your geometry raises several issues. If I cut 1.23" off the stand I'm reducing my tire lift to 2" off the ground, friction point as you say. Is that high enough to remove the tire? And how much will 1.23" reduction improve the listing of the stand by myself?

Am I wrong when I say leaving the stand as is and just use a 2x4 will give me a 4" tire raise and the energy required to lift the bike on the stand will not be reduced by the difference of 1.23" and the height of the 2x4? The way I see it the 2x4 method will get better performance in raising the tire higher and reducing the effort to lift the stand will be better than cutting the stand?

Or.... cut the stand and still use the 2x4 :)

Last edited:

Merlin III

Randy, You give me too much credit. When I had my center stand length reduced on my BMW 1150GS, I had Max BMW actually do it. They told me they do it all the time. I have no real disagreement with what you said, but there are some good reasons to slice the CS as opposed to using a board or two. If you tour long distances, it is a real inconvenience to carry boards with you to oil your chain. Also, IMO, the CTX isn't really made for a center stand. It is odd shaped and doesn't have good grab points. I have to carry a ratchet strap with me to hook around that steel loop to get the leverage to pull up. I have a bad back and think long and hard before using the CS.

In regard to removing a tire on a lowered center stand, I was able to do it on the BMW easily. I don't think there would be a problem with the CTX, but I have not seriously gone out and analyzed the the situation. If it were to be a problem, you could always place a couple of pieces of 1/2 inch plywood under the stand.

MJC

Super Moderator
Well this center stand thing has got me, on one hand if I buy and install it has is I will not be able to use it (no way with my back) on the other if I buy it and cut and weld it, I maybe able to get my bike up on it, but the rear tire will be not that much off the ground. So I have decided to table getting one. I have a motorcycle jack, the standard one you roll under the bike. I have made a adapter that you put under the ctx700, it goes on where the center stand would go, these round metal tabs that hang down with holes in them. You just put my adapter over the holes, slide a long bolt (rod) though the adapter and the holes, then the adapter is in place, you then slide your standard motorcycle jack under the adapter and that is all there is to it. It is made out of 1" square stock, so anyone can make one. I will post some photos when I have time. Using the adapter can lift your bikes rear wheel or keep going and lift the hole bike, rock solid, and it does not hurt my back>lol. I also made a plate for my kick stand, so it will not fall in the left side, then I cut the kick stand down about a 1/4", now if a big wind blows, my bike will not fall over on the right side. Again I will post photos soon. I have been telling my wife that I need a welder so if I get one, I will try my hand a making a center stand for the ctx700, that will work without having to do any mods or use a 2 by 4. I think I will call it the BAD BACK CTX700 Center Stand..lol. I am also thinking about getting a few (used) kick stands, adding plates and cutting them down for members who want one. I could also tell you how to or make members a jack adapter if there is a need for them. Not looking to make money just help others who may have a need for these things like me...lol...Maybe I should go on the other forum and tell them YOU CAN USE A REG MOTORCYCLE JACK TO LIFT A CTX700, they where just so big on telling me it could not be done...still lol about that....pixs soon..

randy1149

Merlin, and I don't have any disagreement with you either. If I could cut the stand and weld it all back I'd probably do it. But I'm a retired electrical engineer and don't have the tools or the welding experience to even try it.

And no I don't carry a 2x4 to get the bike on the CS away from home. ;) If it ever comes to I need the bike on the stand away from home I can get it up myself with a few grunts, or ask a good Samaritan for a little help. Also I don't do any touring anymore and most of the time I'm riding with friends. To minimized any need to raise the bike up away from home I've installed an auto chain oiler that puts chain maintenance pretty much down to zero.

Again I have nothing against cutting the stand nor using a 2x4 both have their pros and cons. I have no need for chain maintenance away from home so the 2x4 at home works for me.

mjc, I have a MC jack also and very interested in seeing the photos of your adapter. Let me know when you go over to the "other side" and tell them 2 dip $hit mods that you CAN use a MC jack on the CTX... I love it.

Good night gents.

Last edited:

Merlin III

Well this center stand thing has got me, on one hand if I buy and install it has is I will not be able to use it (no way with my back) on the other if I buy it and cut and weld it, I maybe able to get my bike up on it, but the rear tire will be not that much off the ground. So I have decided to table getting one. I have a motorcycle jack, the standard one you roll under the bike. I have made a adapter that you put under the ctx700, it goes on where the center stand would go, these round metal tabs that hang down with holes in them. You just put my adapter over the holes, slide a long bolt (rod) though the adapter and the holes, then the adapter is in place, you then slide your standard motorcycle jack under the adapter and that is all there is to it. It is made out of 1" square stock, so anyone can make one. I will post some photos when I have time. Using the adapter can lift your bikes rear wheel or keep going and lift the hole bike, rock solid, and it does not hurt my back>lol. I also made a plate for my kick stand, so it will not fall in the left side, then I cut the kick stand down about a 1/4", now if a big wind blows, my bike will not fall over on the right side. Again I will post photos soon. I have been telling my wife that I need a welder so if I get one, I will try my hand a making a center stand for the ctx700, that will work without having to do any mods or use a 2 by 4. I think I will call it the BAD BACK CTX700 Center Stand..lol. I am also thinking about getting a few (used) kick stands, adding plates and cutting them down for members who want one. I could also tell you how to or make members a jack adapter if there is a need for them. Not looking to make money just help others who may have a need for these things like me...lol...Maybe I should go on the other forum and tell them YOU CAN USE A REG MOTORCYCLE JACK TO LIFT A CTX700, they where just so big on telling me it could not be done...still lol about that....pixs soon..

Ya MJC, people who don't have back problems like us can't appreciate what a chance we are taking putting the CTX on the center stand. However, I like Randy's idea of of asking a stranger while touring for some help. That could lead to some great interactions while on the road. Just for the record, when at home and using the 2x6 board to raise the bike, I will get my wife to help whenever possible. Keep us posted on your experimentation.

MJC

Super Moderator
Here are the pixs, this is with the adapter on the bike with the bike on the standard motorcycle jack....
DSCF3729.jpg
The next 3 are the of the adapter, you install it then remove it when done...
DSCF3730.jpgDSCF3732.jpgDSCF3733.jpg