Hells Half Acre

ofdave

nice ride, only about 30 miles from me and I've never been there on a bike
it's actually on Terra Ceia which is an old part of Manatee county and existed as a thriving fishing and farming town back when the Spaniards were around.
Some really great old houses there. look here http://www.terra-ceia-via.com/story-of-terra-ceia.php#!
Just around the corner is Rubonia where there was a version of Mardi Gras until 2015. Colorful characters (think red necks and trucks and lots and lots of beer)
I'm guessing more than a few mosquitos in the evening.
You sure do well with your GoPro (or whatever)-keep 'em coming, they're great to watch.

Last edited:

Merlin III

Mosquitoes+heat=Hell's Half acre. Nice video. It would be nice to tour "Old Florida". Around here they have Moose, deer, and Bear crossing warning signs. Ever see any "alligator Crossing" signs?

ofdave

Mosquitoes+heat=Hell's Half acre. Nice video. It would be nice to tour "Old Florida". Around here they have Moose, deer, and Bear crossing warning signs. Ever see any "alligator Crossing" signs?

actually have seen them on state road drainage ponds-they don't say "crossing" but they do say stay away
will try to grab a pic
the signs are tourist collectables and don't stay up very long around here

Thumper

nice ride, only about 30 miles from me and I've never been there on a bike
it's actually on Terra Ceia which is an old part of Manatee county and existed as a thriving fishing and farming town back when the Spaniards were around.
Some really great old houses there. look here http://www.terra-ceia-via.com/story-of-terra-ceia.php#!
Just around the corner is Rubonia where there was a version of Mardi Gras until 2015. Colorful characters (think red necks and trucks and lots and lots of beer)
I'm guessing more than a few mosquitos in the evening.
You sure do well with your GoPro (or whatever)-keep 'em coming, they're great to watch.

That is very interesting! I've grew up in Tampa, and have been here 64 years and that was my first time visiting there. Been by it on US41 a million times but never knew that area was so nice. I will be riding back there in the future.
Thanks and glad you enjoy the vids. Hardest part for me is finding music to go with them! That was filmed with my old GoPro v.1. I have a new GoPro Hero 4 my wife bought me this year as a gift. The video is higher quality and I can use a remote attached to the handlebar. Going to have fun with it on our trip this summer