Motorcycle Tyre (Tire) Markings

slayeraeb

What do all the markings, numbers, letters and codes on a tyre wall mean?

Attachments

• 4s_motorcycle_tyre_tire_markings.jpg
    4s_motorcycle_tyre_tire_markings.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 415

purplesea

Thanks for the info! Regarding the PSI readings, though. Is the posted PSI accounting for both summer and winter temperatures? Or is there a formula for this?

purplesea

For 2014, Honda motorcycles is adding a new series to the family: the CTX. CTX stands for Comfort, Technology and eXperience – these motorcycles have been engineered and designed to be tailored for the rider. Honda says they are “focusing on class-leading comfort, easy-to-operate features and versatility.” The CTX motorcycles will have the same engine as the NC700X, the 670cc liquid-cooled parallel-twin, and it will have the same ride ability as the NC700X.

I like this info! Are these models talked about going to come with the tires the original poster has shown us? If not, do you know their specs?

jace

I didn't know what the marking on my tire meant.. Thanks for the information, going to learn them and put it into practice. All this while i taught that those marking meant nothing but now i realize that my PSI for my tire was not set to the correct PSI marked on the tire.

Beanbags

Generally you want to lower the PSI a tiny bit for summer, and raise it a little for winter. Hot things expand, remember that!

ctx

This is awesome! Definitely did not know the intricacies behind something like this - very cool stuff. I always try to get the best tires I can especially when riding bikes which are essentially pieces of metal stuck in between two tires. Suffice it to say, the tires on a bike are extremely important. Thanks for sharing this - too cool; much appreciated.

MegaZero

WOW! Amazing find mate! This is really interesting and I never knew this before! Never knew tires were that amazing!

Hopefully there will be more content from you in the future!

novasparker

Ok, so you don't actually adjust the how much PSI you put into the tire, but you might have to add air in the winter to bring the PSI up to the recommended pressure or let some out in the summer since air expands in the heat and contracts in the cold. You keep your tire pressure at recommended levels, but make adjustments to get it there. Does that make sense? You shouldn't overinflate in the winter or underinflate in the summer as you can cause tire failure and ultimately cause an accident.