Gauge Needles on MotorCycles. !@!

bala

This just flashed past me.Why do the gauge needles always go up and then back down when you start a motorcycle?.Is it because of the sensor's resistance value that varies in a range as max/min value.? Also why is there a high pitched beeping sound while starting the engine ?
I sound amateur,but yeah its just a discussion.:p

novasparker

You know, I have often wondered this myself. Both my Suzuki and my Harley do it. I wonder if it's some sort of calibration or "reset" function if you will, or if, like you said, it has something to do with the sensor's resistance. Not amateurish...just inquisitive. Maybe someone can chime in here and solve the mystery?

bala

You know, I have often wondered this myself. Both my Suzuki and my Harley do it. I wonder if it's some sort of calibration or "reset" function if you will, or if, like you said, it has something to do with the sensor's resistance. Not amateurish...just inquisitive. Maybe someone can chime in here and solve the mystery?
I asked some of my close pals out there,they say it has got something to do with the ECu,it probably resets and calculates the range of those values.Mystery..?/ Nope dude,it is Kinda of an enigmatic concept.Probably we should get to the root of these to understand them better,an overlay doesn't help often.

Stallion

I have never heard a beep although there are vibrations at times. I think it may have to do with a self check that is incorporated into the bikes. It could also be something else but I am not sure.