Tire Pressure Calculation (Apt PsI)

bala

A lot of people find it disconcerting about an abnormal tire pressure ride is how jarring it turns out every time they bump or rut on the local paved bike path.
I found these at a quality site.This chalks out the exact PSI required for your bike.(Can be applied on any bike as long as it falls within the range.)

Tire Width=20: Pressure(psi) = 0.33 * Rider Weight in lbs + 63.33
Tire Width=23: Pressure(psi) = 0.33 * Rider Weight in lbs + 53.33
Tire Width=25: Pressure(psi) = 0.33 * Rider Weight in lbs + 43.33
Tire Width=28: Pressure(psi) = 0.33 * Rider Weight in lbs + 33.33

Tire Width=32: Pressure(psi) = 0.17 * Rider Weight in lbs + 41.67
Tire Width=37: Pressure(psi) = 0.17 * Rider Weight in lbs + 26.67

illustration : You are 150lbs running 28's

Pressure (psi) = (0.33*150) +33.33 = 82.83psi (rear)
Front Pressure = .9*Front Pressure = .9*82.83psi = 74.55psi front

As long as you comply with these pressure,rest assured you can have a safe and smooth ride.
Infos and source : Bicycle Tires and Tubes

novasparker

Wow...this is cool info, but does this address the appropriate tire pressures in every situation? Meaning, is it possible that the tire pressures for certain tire manufacturers can vary, maybe significantly from what you have posted here, not only affecting the ride quality, but how the bike handles under certain circumstances. This can not only jeopardize comfort, but rider safety as well. I think it's important to stick with the tire manufacturer's recommendations for appropriate tire pressures rather than rely on a chart that illustrates what is ideal.

bala

Wow...this is cool info, but does this address the appropriate tire pressures in every situation? Meaning, is it possible that the tire pressures for certain tire manufacturers can vary, maybe significantly from what you have posted here, not only affecting the ride quality, but how the bike handles under certain circumstances. This can not only jeopardize comfort, but rider safety as well. I think it's important to stick with the tire manufacturer's recommendations for appropriate tire pressures rather than rely on a chart that illustrates what is ideal.
That was a general information,if nothing is specified in the manual.These are for tires that are standardized and accord with the norms.Accepted that it will vary with every manufacturer,if that's the scenario,the manufacturer would then surely give you his recommended values.

Petereteno

Tire Pressure Calculation Apt PsI

65 under Max Load, but if youre never carrying heavy loads, you can go to 48-50psi. The tires on mine say 80psi cold, Max Load. I run at 60psi.