Do you wear all the safety equipment you are supposed to?

Trellum

Hey guys! I'd like to know if you guys wear all the safety equipment you are supposed to wear every time you ride. I personally think I have been responsible most of the time, whenever I rode with my cousin I always wore a helmet :) Because I knew the helmet was a very basic item, it didn't fit me perfectly, but I was hoping it'd be able to do its job in case something bad happened.

I'd like to wear a leather jacket in the future while riding, but to be honest I don't think that would be the best idea...! Mostly because the weather here is really warm most of the year! So wearing a leather jacket all year long would be impossible. I'll always wear my jeans tho :) Not sure about wearing special boots for riding tho. I guess I'll just stick to riding away from the city for now.

What about you guys? Do you wear all the safety equipment you are supposed to every time you ride your bike?

hdejong

I would like to say that I do wear all of the recommended safety equipment, but I don't. I always wear long pants to avoid any burns but I rarely wear a helmet. In the future I think I will be more safe, but for now I'm young and don't like all of the gear.

MegaZero

The most safest thing to do is of course wear your helmet but for short distances, I don't really wear my helmet because the need is not there.

But, just always keep in mind, wearing helmets has saved people lives and is one of the most important equipment you need to wear whenever you are out biking.

margarito

The most safest thing to do is of course wear your helmet but for short distances, I don't really wear my helmet because the need is not there.

But, just always keep in mind, wearing helmets has saved people lives and is one of the most important equipment you need to wear whenever you are out biking.

This is the same with me. I don't carry a helmet along with me for short distances because there is actually no need of it. I only think that helmet is the must thing while driving a bike and all the rest being secondary depending on our like. Helmets do stand as the most important equipment while driving all the time.

novasparker

I wear my helmet every time I get on the back of my motorcycle. I usually wear either my leather or my mesh riding jacket. But I don't normally wear boots, gloves, or protective pants when I ride, though I often wonder if I should. I have often pondered the need for this type of protective clothing because I have seen the devastation caused by road rash and such. It's terrible and that's IF it doesn't get infected. Definitely need to think about it more.

skully93

I wear MOST of it. I ALWAYS wear a helmet (exception: if I am moving the bike 25' to work on it) jacket and gloves. I used to occasionally skip the jacket but then I bought an armored hoodie from gogogear and it works wonders in the summer.

I don't always wear riding pants, though I do for highway commutes, and sometimes during scoot rallies I will wear my docs instead of armored boots. However, after having crashed at a good clip and been able to just get up/walk away, it's the way to go.

firelily99

I do, its not worth it to put myself in a position to become donor fodder. Sure it can be uncomfortable but getting smashed up is even worse. Anyone who chooses not to wear a helmet is a total fool.

Johnny Bravo

The perfect answer is to wear ATGATT. But that isn't always practical, there are some people who do, and even I know that if I skimp out and wear a leather jacket/jeans/helmet like I would want to I would lose a lot of skin in a crash, however it's convenient and humans tend to choose the path of least resistance..

Scottie

The only safety gear I wear is my helmet. No matter how far I am going, I always have it on! There are a lot of stupid drivers out there on the roads that don't believe bikers deserve to be on the road, so they don't treat them with as much respect! An accident can happen at anytime, make sure you are safe at all times!

ponydrvr

ATGATT isn't just a concept to me it is the value I put on my body and it's working parts. Just like my American Express card, I NEVER ride without ATGATT. The problem isn't my safe operation but the fools driving the cages.

jcanavera

I wear my gear with every ride. This means a full faced helmet, armored jacket. Gloves, and Bohn under armor pants under what ever pants I wear. The jacket (Tourmaster) has two zip in layers for rain and cold. I zip out the liners in the summer so the jacket is mesh, but still contains all of its armor.

http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/catalog/indexga4wb.php

Jack

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Geophizz

Like the Duck in the Insurance commercial says: ATGATT!

I wear a full face helmet (helmets are mandatory in my state), an armored mesh jacket, knee pads, jeans and boots for every ride.
Sometimes I feel like a dweeb when I go to the next state over, because they only require eye protection, and everyone there rides nearly naked except for sunglasses. Then I think about what would happen to each of us in an accident and I don't feel so dweeby anymore.

Steven

I always wear a helmet, gloves, and I finally got boots that fit, nothing else does. Like they say, it's better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Woodswoman

Yes, I do. All the gear, all the time.

When I first started riding, I thought I was geared up well if I wore a halfie helmet and gardening gloves. As I moved to more and more powerful bikes, and became aware of exactly how fast I could go, my gear changed as well to become more and more protective.

I'm so used to wearing it now that if I don't, I feel vulnerable.

casper

I almost always wear a helmet. Sometimes I admit I take the risk. Most times I wear a mesh armor jacket and Kevlar jeans with boots. Almost always wear my gloves. Not doing so is unusual for me. But I have done it. I'll be honest. But if I know I'm going to be on the freeway I wear all that every time. A 30 to 40 mph spill will be bad, I take that risk occasionally. But a 70 mph spill I know is gonna be a bad one. I almost always though wear my helmet. I'm like Woodswoman though. If I don't wear stuff I feel vulnerable and I don't like it as I'm so used to wearing it.

Steven

About feeling vulnerable, I with you guys on that.

A long time ago I fell off my bike a couple of times. The first time I broke my ankle (I wasn't wearing boots), but I was wearing leather gloves which were worn through in a very short slide and so no damage to my hands. The second time I went over the handle bars and landed on my chest and slid down the road. I was wearing a coat (it was Fall) and that protected me from the slide, but while I was sliding, my head was back and my chin was gliding an inch from the pavement so things could have gotten real bad (That's why I wear a full face helmet now.). I decided not to do those things again.

popeyoni

I always wear a full face helmet, gloves and boots.

I almost always wear a textile & mesh jacket with elbow, forearm, shoulder and back armor.

But... this summer has been brutally hot, so I removed the back armor last month and I have left the jacket home twice.

ofdave

Always a helmet (just got a new modular), always Gloves (Icon with mesh and knuckle protection), always an armored jacket (mesh above 70 and non below), don't have riding pants (maybe if santa is reading) so jeans have to do, and work style boots over the ankle.
Some days at 90 with 65% humidity it almost isn't fun-but only almost.

Shanghai Dan

ATGATT.

Full riding suit (Olympia mesh suit)
Full face Helmet (HJC RPHA Max)
Gauntlet gloves (Joe Rocket)
Boots (Bates Talimenas or Dainese Fulcrums)

Takes just a minute to suit up - the one-piece suit is super easy to wear, and in addition to protecting me in case of an off, it keeps the road grunge off my clothes too! And since it's 80% mesh, it flows plenty of air for the SoCal weather.

Woodswoman

Full riding suit (Olympia mesh suit)

I absolutely *love* Olympia's gear. I now have two of their jackets -- one for summer with lots of mesh, and one that's great in the cold and rain -- and every time I wear either one, I'm so glad I got them. They're perfect for a woman rider my size, and such good quality.