which is first?

margarito

Hello all!

I'm a big fan of bikes and I always wonder which factor I should investigate the most while selecting a bike. I got a chance to buy a bike and don't understand depending on which factor I should choose one. Fortunately I'm going to buy a new bike and my budget is around $2K. Would you guys help me out? Which do you think plays the key role in selecting a bike - mileage or engine performance?

novasparker

It really all depends on your experience level, if you ask me. You don't want to go for a bike that is made for performance if you aren't that experienced. And, for me, gas mileage isn't really a factor for me as they all get better mileage than my car. I need to like the look of the bike and feel comfortable when riding it, in terms of body placement, balance and weight. It's not until I get to that point that I think about engine performance and other performance metrics. Just my opinion.

hbmm

Completely agree with what novasparker is saying. What is your experience level? as this would be a big help in choosing a bike

Trellum

I always check the mileage! I also pay a lot attention during the test drive, to check how the engine sounds, how stable the bike is... how high or how low it sits, how it reacts on a curve, etc. If you're not experienced with bikes, I'd then go for something that's isn't too fancy... have you thought of a moped? I think that kind of bikes are great for starters. Since you're going for a new bike, I don't think you will have a lot issues... I personally hate buying things from private sellers, because you never know what they could be hiding! That's why I prefer to make deals with people I know or my family knows, that's not a choice all the time tho, but at least you don't have to worry about that now :) Buying a new bike is the ideal, but not always possible!

hbmm

If he is a starter I would go with the moped! I loved mine (i had one first) and thought it was great. It's good at building up your confidence and teaches you a lot before you go out on a bike that is very powerful. I think a moped would be a great first choice:)

Chaos

It all depends on your experience and from what I can tell is that your a novice. You should start with a 250cc bike and then go to a bigger class like 600cc or 1000cc , it's all about your ability to ride it safely and handle the horse power.