Do you ride with a jacket?

pinkdrizzly

My husband loves his motorcycle jacket. His dad gave it to him when he got his first bike years ago. Even when we ride the little motorbikes, he always wears his favorite jacket. It's really a safety thing, too. That jacket has protected his arms from some serious road rash in times of need. So, we went and bought me a nice jacket to wear, too. Not sure if I like how it feels, yet, but we are still looking at our options. Do you like to wear a jacket when riding or do you prefer to feel the breeze?

Chaos

You should always use a protective leather jacket and pants, also special boots, integral helmet and gloves are mandatory. I don't know if you saw how a road rash looks like, but I tell you it's horrible and the scars are for life.

novasparker

Yes. A jacket is one piece of safety gear I never leave home without. I have a leather one for winter riding and a mesh jacket with skidplates at the elbows, chest, and back for summer riding. I also wear gloves every time I go out. I have seen so many friends bear the pain and scarring of road rash and I personally never want to experience it. It looks terrible and terribly painful.

Trellum

I like the idea of wearing a leather jacket during the winter, but there is no way I'd be ever able to stand one during the hot seasons! Not a chance!!! So wearing a leather jacket isn't a choice for everyone riding a bike, in winter yeah, but summer? Hell no!!

mevsthor

I wear an old jacket of mine that isn't meant for riding. I'm actually looking for riding jacket suggestions(I posted a separate thread) It gets surprising cold when you have wind whipping at you at around 60 miles an hour so a jacket is a must, I feel. I tried riding without one recently and I felt really exposed which was uncomfortable. I do occasionally see someone riding without one around town, which I suppose is fine if you are staying around town. However, I do a lot of freeway riding so there is no way I could get away without a jacket.

MegaZero

For long rides, I always wear my jacket but for short distances, I don't because there is no need for it.

For long rides, it is a must because it can get chilly out there even though the weather is hot.

dieselfit

I wear a jacket ALWAYS. Being chilly on a sweet ride isn't worth it. It's better to look smooth then to be shivering from the chills!

margarito

I only carry an integral helmet along with me and never bothered about wearing a jacket when going out for any store or for any casual work. Jackets could surely be the best while on a ride to a long distance and more predominantly in winter. Wearing jackets in summer, according to me, is a ridiculous thing.

dieselfit

I only carry an integral helmet along with me and never bothered about wearing a jacket when going out for any store or for any casual work. Jackets could surely be the best while on a ride to a long distance and more predominantly in winter. Wearing jackets in summer, according to me, is a ridiculous thing.

I agree but I think some jackets are made for summer as it protected the body if an accident was to happen, right?

andrew172

I have a pretty stylish safety jacket that I like to wear, but sometimes in the summer, it's just too hot to be wearing it...

firelily99

I wear a leather jacket as well as other protective gear when I ride. I have no desire to be turned into an organ donor mobile at this point in my life.

bala

Jackets tend to lend an air of security,We feel as though we have been armoured.Jackets also avert minor scratches which recur almost everyday.It serves its purpose as it also makes us cozy while driving,on a more personal not i never scoot unless i have my jacket and helmet on me.

Stallion

I wear a white motorcycle jacket because it looks good on me and I like it. It's different because usually everyone wears black motorcycle jackets. Wearing a jacket is a must unless of course it is too hot to wear one.

Oivas

Pinkdrizzly,

I have done both. I ride with a jacket and without too. In fact, I wear the jacket if I am taking the bike to work, else it is without the jacket for most part. I honestly, enjoy without the jacket considering the humid condition I have here in my home town.

skully93

I own several jackets.

My Icon chapter leather jacket, with d30 armor. It protected me very well in a good crash, and still looks fine.

Corazzo Postale. I'm a little stocky for this one but it's a nice jacket for mid-seasons

GoGoGear armored hoodie: The black faded fast but an armored Kevlar hoodie rocks. Plus you can put patches and all manner of stuff on it. Great for riding in the summer. It protects you pretty well ONCE. I plan on swapping the armor for another set of d30 though. Especially the back pad! They go on sale once in a while for $99, and don't look like biker jackets.

Also picked up a used Joe Rocket at the thrift store of all places super cheap. its pretty much an Adventure jacket.

Every so often I've ridden around town without the jacket on for short periods, but I don't recommend that.

Scottie

Sometimes! but must times I only wear my helmet because my head is the most important to me. I don't wear the Jacket a lot because it gets way too hot if i'm riding for a good distance and it can get extremely uncomfortable too.

Athena

Even in Arizona's crazy heat, 113 in the summer on up, I wear a jacket and gloves. If anything it will protect me from getting fried on the pavement, if not a skid. Also gloves keep hands from burning on the bars, and hot pavement. As uncomfortable as it is, and it is very, I still wear them plus helmet.