Do your loved ones think your passion for bikes is dangerous?

Trellum

Hello girls! I don't know about you, but when I told my mom and the rest of my relatives I was thinking of buying a bike in the future, they felt kinda concerned, specially my mom. My mom freaked out and practically said I'll surely end up killing myself while riding one of those things :p She was so mad at my cousin for getting me into bike riding, so mad she didn't want him to teach me more about bikes :eek:

My boyfriend freaked out as well, his reaction was similar to my mom's. One would think that bikes nowadays wouldn't have such a negative connotation, but surprisingly... they do :eek:

What about you, did you have a similar experience when you let your relatives know you had an interest in bikes?

andre92

Well I'm a guy and yeah my girlfriend and my parents and other family members were worried and said that i should use my car instead.

sn1

Of course they do, it's only normal and if they loved you they would care that much, but hey I'm cautious when I ride and I don't ride so often anymore anyway.

Trellum

Wow, really? Are they completely opposing to it or they just nag you every once and then? Mine totally oppose it, specially my mom and boyfriend, they really think I'll end up killing myself, and my mom has now stopped talking with my cousin because he's the one who got me into bikes :( Sometimes this feels so awkward, because I'm an adult woman and I'm free to do whatever I want! Plus I'm not so clumsy!

Trellum

Of course they do, it's only normal and if they loved you they would care that much, but hey I'm cautious when I ride and I don't ride so often anymore anyway.

Really, are they opposing to it completely or they just nag you every time they know you have been riding? It's actually really interesting for me to find out a lot people are having the same issue I'm having. I think this happens to a lot girls who are just getting into riding bikes, specially those who have no relatives who like riding... there are some lucky people who have dads who ride or used to ride, so that makes things easier for them. Sadly my dad never rode a bike in his life :( That would have made things way easier for me!

Trellum

Well I'm a guy and yeah my girlfriend and my parents and other family members were worried and said that i should use my car instead.

Wow, Andre! I thought this happened mostly to girls, but I feel kinda surprised this also happens to guys! This makes me think my family don't sound so crazy after all. I mean, if you family worry about you riding bikes...and you're a guy, then isn't so strange mine do as well. I'm not going to stop riding tho, this is my passion and I'll continue, but I'll try to be very careful all the time :) How long have you been riding?

Trellum

Same here! Sometimes that makes me feel really nervious! I'm actually starting to feel bad and kinda guilty over this, every time I ride I feel a bit bad... my boyfriend said it was so selfish of me to have a ''hobby'' like this one. Same with my mom.

hbmm

Same trellum, I am actually thinking of selling mine now (i've just moved to a city and I don't ride it a lot any more :/

Trellum

Oh no, you're really going to do it? Maybe you can keep the bike and ride it from time to time, you really need to think this through...! You might regret this decision later. So think about it and reconsider it. How often are you riding your bike lately? like for example in a month?

firelily99

I've had a few friends express their concerns to me but they also know that I am a safety first rider and ride in a responsible way.

bala

Its quite normal for persons to trepidate when their loved ones take up biking.It should also be noted that they dreading bike riding may be, owing to their past experiences.They might have witnessed some nightmarish accidents,and they often place us in a situation like that.We cant blame them,its just their love for us that we shouldn't get hurt at any cost.
In case of girls riding bikes,the general public feel they are more likely to encounter accidents.Its a stigma that has unfurled itself over centuries.My advice for girls,kindly take up biking,it shall enthrall you to peaks rather than that lame old household chores.:p :)

Stallion

My girlfriend thinks riding bikes is cool and I have never had a problem with my folks. However I have been a safe driver and never cross the limits even on a race bike. Which doesn't mean that I don't go fast, I do! But I slow down where I need to and follow the rules all the time.

Oivas

Trellum,

I am not a girl ( :) ) to start with and I know that this concern is true for all. If you have people in your life who are really concerned about you, then they would be worried. But then it is usually a matter of time before they get used to your new likes and dislikes.

So, don't read much into it and enjoy your riding!!

novasparker

My parents don't necessarily like the fact that I ride, but they don't say much about it. My mother likes to try to make me feel guilty by telling me to "be careful" all the time and that she worries about me. But they don't ever come out and say "don't do it". No one else in my family rides, which makes it a bit more out of the norm for them, but my husband and I truly enjoy riding, so I do what I enjoy.