What to look for when buying a motorcycle helmet?

Trellum

I'm planning to buy a bike very soon, but I need some advice with the helmets part... what should I look for when buying a motorcycle helmet? Is there a brand you can recommend me? What kind of things should I consider before buying a new helmet?

Sorry if my questions sound kinda noobish, but I'm kinda new at this. Actually my cousin got me started on this, and now I can't stop thinking of the day I finally buy my first bike. Please feel free to make suggestions or offer me a piece of advice :)

Stallion

I always look for certain things before choosing a helmet.

The very first is obviously the fit - should be snug around the head. Every helmet has a different kind of fit so you need to wear a few to check which one suits you best. I always go for a full face helmet and never a half one.

Price is also an important factor but not at the cost of safety. Several medium range helmets are good and you can get some good helmets in the $150-$200 range. Fox and Bell helmets are good.

willstat

Make sure that it is comfortable. The style of it is not meaningful at all. You must put comfort and safety ahead of styling. Make sure you pick one with solid padding on the interior and a sturdy exterior that can withstand the impact of a violent crash. The quality of the front shield is probably one of the more important aspects as that is the area of the helmet that leaves you most vulnerable in an accident where your head hits something.

Trellum

Thanks, Will :) I'll take that into account, I'm a girl so I must admit I always go with the style part first and then think about the rest. I guess I'll have to leave that behind and start worrying more about the safety part. I'll make sure to get one with a good padding in the interior and strong exterior. It's nice to really know what to look for in a helmet, that way it'll be easier for me when I go to the store and ask the guy!

Trellum

I always look for certain things before choosing a helmet.

The very first is obviously the fit - should be snug around the head. Every helmet has a different kind of fit so you need to wear a few to check which one suits you best. I always go for a full face helmet and never a half one.

Price is also an important factor but not at the cost of safety. Several medium range helmets are good and you can get some good helmets in the $150-$200 range. Fox and Bell helmets are good.

Fox and bell helmets you say? I'll keep that in mind, thanks a lot :) I heard about the fit part, I guess it's like finding the right pair of shoes for you, isn't it? I'm not worried about the price, as you said safety comes first. I got some really good tips from you and will. It'll be easier to find the right helmet :)

willstat

Fox and bell helmets you say? I'll keep that in mind, thanks a lot :) I heard about the fit part, I guess it's like finding the right pair of shoes for you, isn't it? I'm not worried about the price, as you said safety comes first. I got some really good tips from you and will. It'll be easier to find the right helmet :)

Yes, I have a Fox helmet as well and I am pleased with it. I have not owned a bell helmet. That is a legitimate comparison about finding a proper pair of shoes that fit. I'd rather compare it to a fitted hat. You need just the right size and style for each individual person. Not every fitted hat fits every person. Let us know when you have picked out a helmet. I'm curious to see what you end up with.

Trellum

Woah, the Schubert C3 Pro Helmet looks like a really good helmet, but look at the price: Schuberth C3 Pro Helmet - RevZilla I think I'll stick to bell or Fox. Ever tried the Schubert one? It looks like a good helmet, quite sturdy! Sometimes I wonder if by buying a cheaper helmet I might be making a huge mistake. You never know what could happen while on the road :(

Trellum

Yeah, I think fit is really important... I compare it to buying a pair of new shoes! I just went to try on some helmets the other day, and I could tell there are helmets that fit me better than others! Comfort always comes first, specially if you're wearing a full face helmet! I think I found the right helmet that day, but it was a bit expensive. Going to wait until I get my bike.

Chaos

First you should see if the manufacturer tested this helmet and it has a quality check. A full face helmet is the best option and will offer you a great protection in an accident. You should see what size you are comfortable with and if it has a guarantee.

margarito

Fundamentally you should have a clarity on which type of helmet you actually wanted to buy, although all are designed to protect a rider's head from any harmful incidents while being lightweight and comfortable. Then you need to find the right size which perfectly fits your head. As already mentioned a good fit is crucial. A sport style helmet is a multi-use helmet and is an economic one. The rest being secondary in my opinion. You only have to check out whether it is hard and strong enough which gives us support in any crucial situations or not. The rest lies in your comfort and the way you tackle your driving.

hbmm

First is comfort, there is nothing worse than a badly fitting helmet, then safety is very important. At joint 1st with comfort and the durability, style and price. :)

Chaos

First is comfort, there is nothing worse than a badly fitting helmet, then safety is very important. At joint 1st with comfort and the durability, style and price. :)

I agree there is nothing worse than a too tight or too loose helmet. I had one too tight, and I hated every moment and my head was killing me when I finally reached the destination.

Trellum

Thanks for the tip, I thought most helmets were tested :p After reading your comment I assume they are not! It looks like buying a helmet for the first time is such a tough task. I was downtown the other day, and I saw a helmet store open... I went it and tried out a few. I liked none :/

mevsthor

I agree with everyone else. I feel that the most important part of a helmet would have to be the fit, after that I look at what it looks like. I'd say get something the feels comfortable because you are going to have to wear it whenever you are on your bike. As far as style that's pretty much up to you and your tastes.

Trellum

Really? The first thing I really notice about the helmet is the way it looks, the design must be of my liking, after all I'm a girl, lol. The fit comes after that in my mind, because even if the helmet fits me well, but isn't of my liking... then there is no chance I'll feel comfortable wearing it. As for safety, for me safety comes first, then the design and fit. In that exact order :)

Trellum

Yeah, comfort is important, but lately I've realized that there is no way I'll wear a helmet I don't like just because is comfortable. I've been trying on several helmets and I've come to the conclusion that safety comes first, then design (looks) and then fit and comfort :)

Trellum

Fundamentally you should have a clarity on which type of helmet you actually wanted to buy, although all are designed to protect a rider's head from any harmful incidents while being lightweight and comfortable. Then you need to find the right size which perfectly fits your head. As already mentioned a good fit is crucial. A sport style helmet is a multi-use helmet and is an economic one. The rest being secondary in my opinion. You only have to check out whether it is hard and strong enough which gives us support in any crucial situations or not. The rest lies in your comfort and the way you tackle your driving.

Wow, really? I'll take a look at those! So far the helmets I've seen over here are so expensive and the style and design aren't that great. I wish we had more stores to choose from. I might go for a sport style helmet, but I'll have to check a lot first. For me safety and design comes first, then comes comfort and fit.

andrew172

Well the only purpose of a helmet is for safety, so that is really the only thing you should be taking into consideration when buying one. You could take style into account if you really had to but... safety comes first. The fit is also pretty important. I once had a helmet that was so uncomfortable that, if I wore it for more than five minutes it would give me a headache. It won't do you much good turning up wherever you need to be with a throbbing head so, take comfort into account to... price isn't really something that you skimp on when it comes to safety so don't look at the price tags unless the price is ridiculous. Safety first.

Trellum

Yeah, I've been saying safety comes first always, then style ;) I'm a woman, so the style is really important for me. Then comes comfort :) I think of a riding helmet as a pair of shoes, because you basically need to take the same things into account when buying a pair of shoes... you need safety if you are looking for boots that can be used when it snows. Style is also important, and so is comfort, practical thinking ;)