What do I need to look for when buying a used motorcycle?

Trellum

Hi all! I hope you can help me out, as the title suggests, I'm thinking of buying a used bike, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. I've checked several places to find used bikes for sale, but I'm not sure what are the most important questions I should be asking the owner. I just want to avoid getting ripped off, since those bikes are being sold by private sellers. I don't want to end up paying to much to fix a boken bike or something like that. Can someone guide me tru this? Any suggestions?

Danch

I would check out the mileage first and then ease of driving.

If fuel efficiency is way below specified output, it means transmission is a problem. Trying to rectify mileage could also mean opening up the engine. I wouldn't try to experiment with an old bike.

Ease of driving is important to enjoy riding the bike. If I find I have to service the bike more often, riding pleasure is diminished.

Classified ad sites list bikes for sale. I would try to buy the bike directly from the owner.

wander_n_wonder

It would be the mileage all the time. The bike may look good from the outside, but it may have been used and abused already. So really make sure you check the mileage above everything else.

Stallion

If I considering buying a used motorcycle I would definitely get it checked by a professional. Reason being that it may have faults that the eye may miss or may not be apparent while taking a test ride. It might be something minor but may show itself a few days after owning it. Better to be sure and satisfied before picking up any used equipment.

Trellum

I get it, I guess buying an used bike is pretty much like buying an used car! The test ride might not be enough as you said, my mom bought an used car that behaved so well during the test ride, but after a couple days she had to fix a lot things! I'll do as you said, I'll get that bike checked by a pro. To be honest I don't like to buy used thing,s but with this economy there is no choice :(

Trellum

I would check out the mileage first and then ease of driving.

If fuel efficiency is way below specified output, it means transmission is a problem. Trying to rectify mileage could also mean opening up the engine. I wouldn't try to experiment with an old bike.

Ease of driving is important to enjoy riding the bike. If I find I have to service the bike more often, riding pleasure is diminished.

Classified ad sites list bikes for sale. I would try to buy the bike directly from the owner.

Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely check the mileage first and ease of driving during the first test ride. Actually mileage is one of the things I pay more attention to, specially when buying an used car. I guess some things never change! I don't think I'll have a lot time to check for fuel efficiency, but I'll keep an eye open when I first buy a bike.. I just hope I don't end up buying a broken thing!

Trellum

Yeah definitely have a look at the mileage and they if you can see if you're comfortable riding it.

Thanks, Andre. Comfort is always a must, I don't like bikes that sit too low... so that's also important for me. I'm really thinking of a bolt, but I might actually go for an used one :) I'd prefer a new one, but I'm just starting to ride bikes and I'm not that experienced yet.

Trellum

It would be the mileage all the time. The bike may look good from the outside, but it may have been used and abused already. So really make sure you check the mileage above everything else.

Allright, it seems everyone here agrees that mileage is a very important thing to check. I guess a bike is like a car in that sense, I was very close to buying a car with a really bad mileage, the car looked great, but man... you could tell by the mileage that car had been used and abused very bad!

willstat

Yes, Trellum, the mileage is important. I would also consider the aesthetics. If it has faults then it is going to hurt your own re-sale value when you go to sell it. Make sure that you like the feel of the bike. Take it for a test drive and see how you feel on it while cornering. That is when you are most vulnerable so make sure that it provides good balance.

Trellum

Thanks a lot, Willstat! I had been told about the cornering part, to be honest that's the part that makes me nervious! I'll take into account as well, I might go for a new bolt in the end, but I'm trying to check all the options I have :) I already ride my cousin's bolt from time to time, and I'd love to find an used one for sale.