CTX700 Test Ride

Daboo

I got a chance to test ride a CTX today. It left me with a wet crotch. :eek:

I liked a lot about it. Paint finish was up to Honda standards. The bike felt light, like a toy, in comparison to the NT700V I've been riding. It reminded me a lot of my Burgman 400 that way, but obviously without the fairing. Obviously, I don't know how it would be in cross-winds. The lightness could be an advantage or disadvantage in that situation.

The drivetrain was sweet. Very smooth. Good shifter. First gear feels different than 2nd, so you shouldn't miss downshifting to 1st at a stop unless you're really not paying attention. Did I mention it was smooth? The bike never "chugged" when I gave it gas. Any gear close to what you should really be in...is still good to accelerate in. The manual transmission is so nice, if I bought one, I'd get it and not the DCT. The seat felt comfy too, in the style of a tractor seat...something you could probably sit on all day long. A backrest would be a nice mod.

Negatives. The bike sits low. I liked that for the ability to plant my feet easily, but I also like the high seating position of the NT for looking over traffic. The storage area is nice...but it is way too small to use for anything but maybe your wallet or a pair of sunglasses. Probably not both at the same time. The biggest complaint I have is the foot controls. It's a stretch for me at 5'8" and a 28 " inseam. I also didn't feel like the foot position was comfortable. It's one thing to put my feet out forward on the floorboards of the Burgman 400 scooter. They aren't doing anything but providing support on the scooter. On the CTX, that's where the brake and shifter are. It just didn't feel natural. I kept wanting to put my feet down...where the controls are on the NT. That's something you'll get used to, but I'd need either some kind of seat mod to position me forward some, or some kind of change to the shifter and brake pedal.

I told the salesman that the CTX was a delightful bike, and it is. The low weight and low COG made for a very responsive bike. The flat engine torque curve makes it seem far more responsive than the HP would lead you to expect. If something happened to the NT, the CTX will be on the short list.

We were supposed to get only "showers" today. Since I live in the Puget Sound Convergence zone...it rained steadily. Hard at times. I noticed the diminutive "screen" on the "N" version I rode actually did something. RainX works wonders normally in removing the rain drops off my visor. Water just beads up and slides off. It didn't while I was on the CTX. It just stayed there.

The seating position of having my legs straight out in front of me with no downward slant left a crease on both pant legs that collected rain water. Yup, the water pooled there...and soaked through the "waterproof" lining leaving me with this cool feeling for hours. :eek: ...in the crotch. I can see the kids now in Sunday School snickering about the dark stain in my pants. :rolleyes:

Chris

LALUCIEN

I definitely hear what you're saying about the wet crotch syndrome! Fortunately, (or maybe unfortunately actually), I haven't ridden the CTX yet ( so your run down is much appreciated) so haven't experienced how bad the pooling is on it but, I am familiar with the issue of pooling at the crotch when riding bikes that have forward pointing leg positions, as my very first bike, a Chinese moped, had quite a long seat with a protruding cushion that extended about 20cm from the centre of my crotch. That coupled with a well sized foot well caused lovely pools at the crotch area and left me with many a wet patch!

Daboo

In this case, the wet crotch was solely because my legs were stretched out so far. Get someone a couple inches taller or with a longer inseam than I have, and they'd never have the problem.

Chris

hondazooom

I've been looking forward to doing a test drive, but now I'm looking forward to disappointment. I know that everyone is different, but you touched on a couple of points that have me second guessing.

I guess at the price you can't expect perfection, but as much as Honda boasts about the bike I'd expect more.

Daboo

One thing you should always do, is to check out a bike for yourself. You can only get so much from the impressions others have about it.

I liked the NC700X, but I told the salesman the CTX700 was "delightful". It was. For my uses, I think the CTX would be more in line with what I'd want than the NC700X.

What I would do, is to take the "points" you found in my comments and then go see for yourself. You might be surprised...pleasantly so.

I have two bikes now, and each are great in their own ways. My Burgman 400 gets great gas mileage, has phenomenal underseat storage (62 liters) and is comfortable enough to ride the SS1000 on it without needing an "Iron Butt" ...or having a sore one, either. :) The NT700V that I just bought isn't as comfortable, has the storage split into two panniers, and gets less gas mileage...but seems more designed to eat up the miles. I'm more inclined to take the Burgman 400 now around in town, and the NT out on long day trips. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. Neither is perfect, but they are good enough for my needs.

You may find the same thing with the CTX. It isn't perfect...but it is perhaps the best bike out on the market for you.

Chris

Trellum

Awesome review, Daboo, very detailed and honest :) I also like bikes that sit high, too bad this one does, but that doesn't change the fact I want to buy it. This bike is awesome, I must admit I'm more attracted to the bobbers (like for example the bolt), but I really like the CTX700, specially the black one. I loled at the wet crotch bit, it's amazing all the details you let pass during a normal test drive, until you actually test your bike under different circumstances. Oh well, I guess that's just a small detail!

novasparker

Ok, so I tend to avoid riding in the rain, not so much to avoid the wet crotch syndrome, but I don't like the instability of riding in the rain...it's slick and makes me totally uncomfortble, plus riding in the rain just hurts. So, I appreciate what you are trying to say about the seat position and your particular predicament, but do you feel like you will feel the same way if you weren't caught in the rain?

hbmm

Ok, so I tend to avoid riding in the rain, not so much to avoid the wet crotch syndrome, but I don't like the instability of riding in the rain...it's slick and makes me totally uncomfortble, plus riding in the rain just hurts. So, I appreciate what you are trying to say about the seat position and your particular predicament, but do you feel like you will feel the same way if you weren't caught in the rain?

I'm the same, I hate riding in the rain. It's horrible and I always feel very nervous if it starts raining

Chaos

How does anyone else feel about riding in the rain? does anyone actually like it?

It's a nice feeling, and the road smell after a rain is amazing. I like the sun reflection and how the wet road looks but nevertheless it's a dangerous activity, and you can even get injured or even die if your tires slip on the wet surface. You need years of experience and even than a maximum concentration is required.

andrew172

If the weather forecast says that there's a 50% chance of rain... well then there's a 100% chance I'll be taking the car. I'm not a fan of getting wet at all, especially in thick clothes that aren't gonna dry off. But yes, I agree with what everyone else is saying here. It's much better to test drive a bike before you buy, statistics are just numbers and nothing can tell you how you're actually going to feel when riding the bike or what the overall experience with it will be.

Oivas

Daboo,

From what I read (which was rather amusing) I must say that the bike is good but for the wet crotch we guys may end up having during the monsoons... :) .... Okay get your point... :)

andrew172

Daboo,

From what I read (which was rather amusing) I must say that the bike is good but for the wet crotch we guys may end up having during the monsoons... :) .... Okay get your point... :)

I guess I could live with a wet crotch during the rainy season- I get completely soaked when it rains anyway and always dry off in the Florida sun quite quickly.