What motorcycle would you choose?

Melvin

So i just moved to Houston tx, and I'm looking for some transportation. I had a 2005 250 honda rebel and used it for a good six months, prior to moving i had no way of bringing it with me so it got sold.

My choices now are the honda cbr250r
And the cbr500r, I've done some research on the 250r and I'm not sure how it handles on the freeway, if it's anything like my rebel it won't do seeing as i like to go to galveston via interstate. And I'd like to move up a class size

But the problem is in currently lacking transportation. So should i buy the 250 get a little more experience or wait for the 500?

Daboo

Neither. Look for a used bike. Unless I'm mistaken, the bikes you listed are new models. You won't care what happens to a used bike as you "get a little more experience". If you drop it...oh well. It sounds like you're also looking for a short term ownership of whatever you get. With a new bike, when you sign the paperwork, you just lost $1000 in depreciation...even before you get on it. With a used bike, you can sell it for what you bought it for.

Chris

gregsfc

I don't get all hung up in this beginner bike concept that is part of the motorcycle culture wherein folks have to progressively move up in size, displacement, and/or performance to stay satisfied with riding, so, although I don't totally disagree with the first reply, I would ask, are you looking for something that's going to always work for your situation so far as you know? Are you someone that views motorcycle riding for recreation or sport, or for the thrill? Or, are you the counter of this culture and are the type of person who views motorcycle travel as basic, enjoyable, transportation that's pretty cheap on the wallet? If you are the latter, and you want a new bike, I would opt for the CB500R; it's a choice that's going to stick a little longer, and you may end up owning it for years. The shorter amount of time you own it, the faster you're losing money by trading up, but if you ride it for years, you're getting your money's worth out of it.

The CB500s have got a top speed of 105 or so. They're supposed to accelerate on par with the NC700X (although probably a little less mpg); and it's just loaded up with value. A lot of bike for the money for a new bike, however, if I were looking at the CB500R, I would probably move quickly over to the CB500F, which is basically the same bike with a little more upright stance and no sport fairing for $400 less; but that's just me. I was very impressed with that bike and its value, but I don't like the slight forward lean on the seat, and I prefer the 700 power train. I can't say too much about omitting a fairing to save $400, because I'm probably going to spend an extra $800 for a fairing in the CTX700.

There will also be available (expected in July) a third version of the 500 cc platform; a CB500X. Looks a whole lot like the NC700X from the pictures. MSRP=$5999 same as the CB500R. Big advantages to me on the X model. It's got a 4.5 gallon tank, and it looks to sit totally upright just like the NC700X. Does not have the frunk like the NC though; but the 225+ range might make up for it. Not alot more curb weight over the F or R, but then again, it's the same basic bike as the F, so I'd probably be drawn back to the F.

Last edited:

ctx

Why not start with the CTX700? I agree with the above poster - this whole myth that you have to start low and rise up the biking ladder is just that, a myth! The reality is if you're spending money initially on a slower ride and you plan on getting something bigger and faster you're just going to wind up spending a ton of dough needlessly. You don't need to go tearing down the highway because you own a bike that's capable of doing so. May as well get the best you can afford and that way you'll have the power it if and when you need it.

DewaltDakota

I checked out the whole 500 line at the International Motorcycle show they had up in DC. My heart was ready to commit to the CB500F, until I sat on it. I only have a 30" inseam, and the footpegs were placed EXACTLY where I needed to put my feet down, so the daggone pegs were jabbing me in the ankles and calves. The rest of the ergos were great for me. After only a few minutes, my bubble had been popped, and I found myself without a clue as to where to go, with regards to my "future bike." Only a couple of weeks later, Honda announced the CTX700/N release, and the rest is history.
Phoenix.jpg

auroraantoinette

I grew up in Lubbock TX and i'm familiar with Galveston and unfortunately the Texas drivers. I really suggesting considering the CTX700 like everyone is saying, You cant be to careful when it comes to your bike and Texas is a mean roadway. Good luck with any decision that you do make :)

Trellum

Have you consider a bolt? They are very reliable and stable when you are on the road, even if it rains, but eh... this is just my opinion. Another great option would be the CTX700, I think this bike is just awesome. Just try to get the best you can afford, I think it's worth it!

Danch

So i just moved to Houston tx, and I'm looking for some transportation. I had a 2005 250 honda rebel and used it for a good six months, prior to moving i had no way of bringing it with me so it got sold.

My choices now are the honda cbr250r
And the cbr500r, I've done some research on the 250r and I'm not sure how it handles on the freeway, if it's anything like my rebel it won't do seeing as i like to go to galveston via interstate. And I'd like to move up a class size. But the problem is in currently lacking transportation. So should i buy the 250 get a little more experience or wait for the 500?

The new 2013 CBR500r offers a sports bike performance at an affordable price. It looks great. Have a look at it.

2013-Honda-CBR500R-front.jpg

It has standard ABS, so I would wait for its release in my local market. Running costs are also less. A CBR250R is a good option, but I would available of better mileage with a higher horsepower engine.

wander_n_wonder

Wait for the 500. I'm sure you won't regret it because it might have better features. It seems to be more suitable for your purpose as well.