To kick tires or not to kick tires

Woodswoman

Woodswoman, this thread resonates with all of us over-70 retirees....It highlights the mind vs body struggles that come with aging. My wife is still working also, and I'm keenly aware that she is now the breadwinner. I do have to fight the feelings of inadequacy, even though I know she doesn't feel that way.

Bullseye, Prof -- 100% spot on. This is exactly what my sweetheart is going through.

His intellect and spirit are those of a much younger guy. Many of my friends are shocked when they learn his age, because he doesn't look (except for his hair) or act it.

But his stamina lets him know why he's retired. He finds that exasperating.

Last edited:

MJC

Super Moderator
Dutchess Rec in Poughkeepsie. Their sales guy was smart enough to remember that Mike had phoned a few months back to inquire about availability; he called a few days ago and mentioned they'd uncrated their first one.

The 'Wing they had stuffed and mounted wasn't the right trim line, but ... do you know whether they offer test rides, MJ?? I've not encountered any metric dealer in New York State that does.

This is a Demo unit so come in and try the ALL NEW Goldwing... Link to dealer: http://www.mavrixmotorsports.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=5003362&p=3&s=Year&d=D&fr=xNewInventory
Mavrix in Middletown, 845 344 2457.

Honda is sending DCT Goldwings to dealers for demo rides. This maybe a 1st in NY...lol. I think even Ducthess Rec may offer a Demo but do not count on it. Mavrix has more then one Goldwing in stock. D Rec, when I asked them to call me when they got one in, said Maybe. and they have not yet. lol. Best deals when you are ready to buy are on LI, so test ride close by and order and pick up in LI. If you come by D Rec again let me know, I am 10 mins from there.

Last edited:

Woodswoman

Thought I'd take some time on a rainy afternoon to post a follow-up to this thread.

After Mike repeatedly snuggled up to the idea of a new Goldwing, and then shied away from sticker shock, I found on Craigslist a gently used 2014 CTX1300 in the Albany, New York, area, and brought it to his attention.

Mike closed the deal on it in late June ...

... and has spent the last couple of months riding it when the weather has permitted (i.e. not enough) and equipping it to his liking.

I'm happy (and relieved) to report that the more Mike rides the 1300, the happier he is with it. He definitely notices that it weighs 100 or so pounds less than his Vulcan Vaquero, and that it handles accordingly better. It also pumps less engine heat onto the rider than the Vaquero.

What made him REALLY happy was a very plausible opinion piece he found on the CTX1300 owners' forum, in which a guy who bought a new Goldwing compared it to the CTX1300 -- and swore that the 1300 was the "beta model" of the 'Wing. Mike believes that he got darned near the bike he wanted for about $20,000 less.

Except he really wishes the CTX1300 had a DCT. ;)

Last edited:

MJC

Super Moderator
Good for Mike. I do not know why Honda only made the ctx1300 for one year but I feel if Honda would have kept making it Goldwing sales would have went down. And if they made a ctx1300 DCT, the ctx700 dct and the new dct goldwing would not be doing so well. It sure would have been a big hit, I know I would get one.

kujawskir

I do not know why Honda only made the ctx1300 for one year ...

I think tariffs had a lot to do with both that and marketing the 700 in US vs the 750 in every other country. There was a limited number of over 700 cc bikes allowed before tariff jumped from 4% to 34% for a few years, then tapered back to all 4%. They say it was aimed at saving HD and succeeded in such big fashion HD advertised with new manufacturing processes and fewer defects they no longer needed the last year of tariffs to compete fairly.
The GW could survive tarrifs with a claim the value was worth the price of a car - 34% more than the price of a GW in it's home country. Honda kept the price of the CTX1300 down by staying under the number limit so they were rarer, not more expensive.

Now I'm no MC marketing genius at Honda, but if the tariffs were gone a few years ago, I'd have released the same 750s in US that work in Australia and Europe as well as the CTX1300 with and without DCT and see what flies. Trim the manufacturing line down by eliminating the 670 cc motor?

And for goodness sake, change that stupid shaft on the 1300 to a belt - most of the durability, none of the power losses. That could be a 58 MPG or better power beast.

mtvic

Almost 5 years later Honda USA still advertises new 2014 ctx1300 in US while 2018 came out in other countries.. Guess they still have some. Great bike, but still think a crossover between it and the ctx700 at a 600lb range would sell better in US. Take the best features of both, and add a cruise control.

Your husband certainly got a great bike.

Woodswoman

And for goodness sake, change that stupid shaft on the 1300 to a belt - most of the durability, none of the power losses. That could be a 58 MPG or better power beast.

Right?? I don't understand why there are so many people who feel a belt drive is undesirable. I had one on my Victory, and it never gave me a moment's grief -- nor has it for its present owner, with whom I stay in touch.

Shoot, I dearly wish my CTX700 had a belt final drive.

mtvic

Most of us agree. Had it on all my bikes over last 20 Years, HDs and Victory. Almost no power loss, quiet, little to no service. Almost never needs adjusting. It is a pia replacing one, but rare to need it done. Put 75k on one before trading bike, never had to touch it, was still in good shape.

kujawskir

I just visited Honda's sales site for something unrelated and found the same thing across the line:
Manual or DCT with a chain: They advertise MPG and sometimes power specs. They're proud of efficiency.
Anything with a shaft: they post "MPG: TBD" and don't mention torque or HP power specs. - They do not want questions about why twice the engine drinks twice as much and still only gets 25% - 40% power increase.

btw: DCT is available on GW, FTX, CTX700, and a few other lines already, does not affect specs or willingness to post specs.