Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: New steed...

Foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in Northern California

New steed...

After putting 46K on the CTX in the past 3 years, I'm riding off into the sunset on my new BMW R1200RT. I enjoyed the CTX a lot and my wife and I have our memory banks filled with the good times we had while touring together on it. But, while the Honda did well in the mountains that we ride in, the power loss at altitude at times was a bit much riding two-up. The BMW, in terms of both suspension and wind protection gives hope that future tours will be even more comfortable than what we had on the CTX. The extra liters of storage space are going to come in handy too when we want to be out for awhile.

I've enjoyed your stories, your photographs, your technical expertise, riding tips and help while I've owned the Honda. Thanks to you all...
    rick

Name:  R1200RT at Coloma-IMG_0003.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  103.5 KB

2. Thanks Steven, BobWitte thanked for this post
    Likes Steven, Radiomerchant, BobWitte, 12MANY liked this post
    Northern Catskill Mountains, upstate New York
    That's a gorgeous machine, Rick. Best of luck with it!

You know you don't need to leave the group, right? You can swing back and tell us what you've learned on the new bike, how you like it, etc.
    2014 Honda CTX700ND, "Flicker"
    ------------------------------------------------
    Former rides
    Cruisers: Victory Cross Roads, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, Suzuki Boulevard C50, Suzuki Marauder 800
    Scooters: Suzuki Burgman 650, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Elite 80

4. Thanks rickster thanked for this post
    Likes rickster liked this post
    Beautiful Rick. Wonderful color on that bike. Iím sure you two are going to enjoy every mile. Congratulations!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Thanks rickster thanked for this post
    Foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in Northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodswoman View Post
    That's a gorgeous machine, Rick. Best of luck with it!

You know you don't need to leave the group, right? You can swing back and tell us what you've learned on the new bike, how you like it, etc.
    Thanks Woodswoman...I'm a short guy with a 29" inseam, so the first thing I'm learning on the new bike is to stop "en pointe"! So far...so good.

[QUOTE=Radiomerchant;8127]Beautiful Rick. Wonderful color on that bike. I’m sure you two are going to enjoy every mile. Congratulations!

I've enjoyed everyone of the 1,012 miles in the past 5 days and hope to just keep going. Funny about the color. I wear a white helmet too. So, being that the California Highway Patrol R1200RT-P's look almost identical to mine when glancing up to a car's rear-view mirror, I've discovered that I have quite an impact on traffic speed. Makes it easy to get by...
    Last edited by rickster; 10-22-2018 at 08:38 PM.

8. Likes Woodswoman liked this post
    Nice machine... Be safe, I've enjoyed your stories and pictures.

10. Thanks rickster thanked for this post
    [QUOTE=rickster;8128]Thanks Woodswoman...I'm a short guy with a 29" inseam, so the first thing I'm learning on the new bike is to stop "en pointe"! So far...so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiomerchant View Post
    Beautiful Rick. Wonderful color on that bike. Iím sure you two are going to enjoy every mile. Congratulations!

I've enjoyed everyone of the 1,012 miles in the past 5 days and hope to just keep going. Funny about the color. I wear a white helmet too. So, being that the California Highway Patrol R1200RT-P's look almost identical to mine when glancing up to a car's rear-view mirror, I've discovered that I have quite an impact on traffic speed. Makes it easy to get by...
    Yup all you need are some Blue Lights. You will definitely get lots of second looks. Even though mine is Blue , I still get a lot of double takes when coming up on someone. Very distinctive profile. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beautiful bike, great color choice. Like the old saying goes “ Use the right tool for the right job” and that is the right tool for the type of riding you all do. Better wind protection, suspension and oh yah double the horsepower and torque of the CTX. The contrast between riding the two bikes must put a huge smile on your face every time you get on it. Good luck and enjoy your new ride!!
    CTX700ND DCT/ABS

13. Thanks rickster thanked for this post
    Thats a nice beast Congrats

event planning software : floor plan software

15. Thanks rickster thanked for this post