Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Dan View Post
    I'ts not really road crown - it's the fact that left turns are ALWAYS longer than your right turn. So you end up with more "left" side wear than right... The opposite happens in countries like the UK and Thailand; in Thailand I always wore down the right side faster than the left - because we drove on the left hand side and the right turns were long compared to the left - and there was basically zero crown on the roads (one slab across).
    Dan, I'm sure your right. Around here though we have highly crowned roads due to the need for highway drainage. That might also explain why left turns are easier to make at higher speeds generally.

Foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in Northern California
    I have a question for those of you who have put the Roadsmart 3's on their CTX 700's. Did the tire affect your mileage at all? I have about 1400 miles on my set and have noticed a drop of 2 miles per gallon since they were put on. I had the valves adjusted, new front brake pads installed and all of the scheduled maintenance done at the same time, but the difference in rolling resistance in the tires would be the first place that I'd look. The air pressure in the old tires and the Roadsmarts are maintained the same...36lbs. front and 42 lbs rear.

I'm not concerned about the 2 mpg drop if it is the tires...I'm still getting 69 mpg. I'll be more concerned if all of you chimed in with increased mileage reports as that would have me looking at the quality of the other things that were done when the bike was serviced.

As for MPG, I am all over the place with anywhere from 50's to high 60's. It is hard to tell if the tires have anything to do with it. I think the gas a lone has more to do with it, in colder temps the gas has a mix of things in it that is not the same as warmer temps. Plus here in the Hudson Valley you can go south and get one brand of gas and then ride North and get that same brand with a deff make up. 10, 15% or just plan reg. gas.

4. Thanks rickster thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post
    As for MPG, I am all over the place with anywhere from 50's to high 60's. It is hard to tell if the tires have anything to do with it. I think the gas a lone has more to do with it, in colder temps the gas has a mix of things in it that is not the same as warmer temps. Plus here in the Hudson Valley you can go south and get one brand of gas and then ride North and get that same brand with a deff make up. 10, 15% or just plan reg. gas.
    Good point mjc... I do buy my gas at the same place 90% of the time unless I'm traveling. I'll try another brand from another station just to see what happens...

I've experienced the same as mjc. Colder temps plus winter additives really drop the mileage. I wonder if non oxygen has the same mix all year around, or if they add winter additives to it as well?

OK, as mentioned in a February post, I put Dunlop Roadsmart III's on my CTX front and back. The two sets of Pilot 4's that I was running before the Dunlop switch had both cupped noticeably at 5,000 miles. I had read something in one of the CTX forums that mentioned (edit) that the cupping was specific to tires with certain siping paterns like the the PR4 has. On the other hand I found an article that said that riding in the twisties a lot causes the cupping and is normal (http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html).

I now have 5,000 miles on my "new" Dunlop tires and they, just like the PR4's are cupping. There are no handling issues on the bike, so I think the suspension is just fine. Also, I'm attentive to tire pressure. That leads me to believe, since almost all of my riding is on the twisting roads of the Sierra Nevada, that the cupping is just something to live with.

(Edit: It's only the front tire that suffers from the cupping. This was true on the PR4's and on the Roadsmart III's)
    Last edited by rickster; 06-21-2018 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Accuracy

I just put the Michelin road 5s on. So far, love them. Stick to the pavement, even on tar snakes. Able to really push it with confidence. We'll see on longevity.

Are you completely satisfied with them?