750-cc CTX?

Woodswoman

DaddyDave, who used to be a member here, recently posted this rumor on Facebook regarding the 2019 model year:

Honda has replaced the 670cc engine on all the other "700" class bikes (NC750X, Integra, etc.) with a new 749cc engine. 15% increase in horsepower, and almost 13% increase in torque. It has an additional balance shaft so it runs smoother at highway speeds. It also gets a factory rating of 67mpg, vs. the factory rating of 64mpg for our current CTX700. All we can do is hope that this will be a replacement for the 700 here next year.

So, I'm curious: If the rumors prove true, and Honda puts the larger motor into the CTX frame, would you trade?

For myself, yes, I would trade to get 80 more CCs of displacement -- especially if Honda also puts in the third-generation DCT.

How about you?

Chill Will

I'm w u Woodswoman, count me in for a ctx750.
Riding friends in UK tell me that the 750 nc dct engine runs more smoothly, that the latest gen dct is more refined, it has 2 level traction control, 3 levels of revs choice in sport dct mode, in addition to the power/torque/economy improvements.
All this in the same lightweight manageable package. Ideal for those of us who are seasoned riders with joint issues, and more able bodied folks too.
Seriously, what's not to like?

I don't think I'd go through the bother of trading in the Silver Bullet. I just got through adding the mods so it is perfect for me. I never had any complaints about the power, torque, or vibration. I never wanted a bigger more powerful bike anyway. As I mentioned before, I really like the low end torque the CTX has off the line, and it has plenty enough power for me. I think this is my last bike, and I plan to just enjoy it instead of constantly looking for a better one. Just my opinion.......

Attachments

• Ready to ride.jpg
    Ready to ride.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:

Glen e

I wouldn't trade for 80 cc, that amount is negligible on a big bike, the 80 cc alone won't make much of a difference. I will only trade for a bike that goes up in technology. The new Yamaha tracer GT is a 900 triple, electronic cruise control standard, Adjustable forks and rear shock from the seat on the fly, adjustible seat height, iPad like screen, and a few other goodies. I think that will be my next bike. I'm not married to the DCT. I like it, but it's not a must have.

fergy

I would love to see a software update on the DCT for our models so we would have the same sport mode options and no more shifting to 6th at 38mph in Drive.

Brunnka_CTX

I might at some point but not right away. I was planning to test out the NC 750 whenever it finally shows up at my dealer just check out the new motor and updated transmission. However, I really like the way I have my bike setup. The nice thing about having a CTX750 available would be that all of the mods that I added to the bike, seat, crash bars, windshield, etc. should be able to transfer directly to the new one since the frame and mounting points should be the same.

rickster

No interest at all in a 750. While I would like more power from the motorcycle that I ride, a 15% increase just doesn't address the reason for my desire to change. I've seen a few different horsepower figures for the CTX, but Rider magazine put it at 43hp (@ 6100rpm), but let's say it was 50hp. . A 15% increase would give me only 7.5 additional ponies. That's not the kind of power increase that I'm interested in.

As it is, I'm pretty happy with my CTX...but there is a lot of riding nearby that is over 6,500 ft. And the reduced power at elevation, especially on our steeper mountain roads when two-up is what leads me to look around.

Edit: At 43hp and 6500 ft of elevation, I lose over 8hp giving me 35hp to pull 8%-12% grades with while 2-up, but if I go over let's say Tioga Pass at 10,000ft, I'm down to 30hp. That is doable...my wife and I ride in our mountains often, but on each trip I have at least one occasion that I'm mumbling about more power. (The most agreed upon formula that I could find for HP Loss: elevation x 0.03 x horsepower @ sea level)/1000).

Last edited:

Woodswoman

My 3 biggest gripes about this bike -- and this is just wanting to have my cake, and eat it, too -- are:

1. I'd like more engine. My ideal for displacement in a parallel twin is 800 CCs. Moving from 670 up to 750 would get me a helluva lot closer.
2. I'd like more DCT modes. Don't get me, wrong; I *love* my DCT. But one more mode, something between Drive and Sport, would be very welcome.
3. Better suspension. I'm thinking I'll be giving Penske some money before I'm done, too.

Admittedly, I have Flicker set up well at this point. And, if a new CTX750 should reach the shores of the US, it would probably be the fairing model, not the N model like I have, so I couldn't switch over my MadStad windshield or Fehling front roll bars. Plus I simply prefer the look of the N model.

But I think that I'd switch anyway. Your mileage may vary, of course. :)

Steven

Myself, it would be preferable, but it's not enough to make me change. I have too much money in mine with up grades and all for such a marginal difference. Assuming 50 hp now, I would want 70+ hp which would be substantial increase. I remember watching a video about the 750 and while better, it wasn't enough of a difference to make it worth an upgrade, according to the reviewer.

kujawskir

No, I'm looking to trade one for two, not likely any time soon:

First: My primary use is commuting across town. Even on the interstate at 70 MPH, short trips 10 minutes or less, I'm happy with the power from a 500cc if I could get a total weight reduction and increased gas mileage commensurate with the difference in power. Not your sport bike high-winder bend over model, but a comfortable upright ride to work does not need to go 0-ticket in 4.5 seconds.
Trouble is, I don't see those pulling real differences in MPG or starting price to be worth stepping down from the CTX700. Sure, the toy bikes are thousands less, but still get cost a gallon per 50-70 miles, smaller tanks, higher insurance, less comfort, there's no good ROI there yet, but electrics are working on it.

Second: 900cc to 1800cc full dress long distance touring comfort, with a trailer hitch. Again, not in that market for few more years.

Woodswoman

Second: 900cc to 1800cc full dress long distance touring comfort, with a trailer hitch. Again, not in that market for few more years.

That's what I had before I switched to the CTX, but without the trailer hitch. (See my signature.) I kept both for a year, but found I wasn't doing enough long distance trips to make it worth keeping the bagger. So it went to a retired buddy who in short order rode it from Long Island down to Daytona Bike Week. THAT's what the Cross Roads was meant for, not piddling weekend trips.

Sometimes I still can't believe I sold my "apex" bike and kept the CTX. Pretty counter-intuitive after I spent years gathering the skill to handle a bike as big and heavy as the Victory.

As I describe it, the Victory was the bike of my dreams, and the CTX is the bike of my reality.

burdicda

There are folks that would upgrade if it were 1cc more never happy regardless...LOL
I'm done
50+ yrs of riding everything imaginable
This is the one
Enough is enough

orhiker

2021 is supposed to deliver a new 850cc on the CRFL850 Africa Twin, delivering approximately 90HP. I'd take a CTX running that powerplant in half a heartbeat.