Centerstand

MJC

Super Moderator
photo of kick stand, with plate and cut down about 3/16" off, . And yes I did paint it after taken the photo...
DSCF3731.jpg
Next is a photo of the angle of the bike on the kick stand
DSCF3696.jpgDSCF3734.jpg
Sorry, the last photo was a ride I was on today and did not know how to -un-do it after hitting upload...But you can see I can now park (using the kick stand) anywhere...

Last edited:

randy1149

mjc, thanks for the pix. You've demonstrated by intelligent thought process what can be triumphed over prehistoric ignorance.

Great job!

Woodswoman

ofdave

@mjc
nice job on the adapter
looks like it isn't used with the centerstand?
how 'bout some dimensions if any of us want to make one?
but if you are going to make and sell them, nevermind

MJC

Super Moderator
@mjc
nice job on the adapter
looks like it isn't used with the centerstand?
how 'bout some dimensions if any of us want to make one?
but if you are going to make and sell them, nevermind

I will sit down and make a full size drawing and post it here. For the people who want to make one. If you can not make one yourself I will make one for you and mail it to all who want them. I used 1" square stock, a grinder and two 1" bolts, and a 1/4" threaded rod to go from one side to the other, you bend the end of it so it is like a handle but that bent part stops you from putting the kickstand up so you do not forget to take this adapter off the bike. Not hard to make, drawing soon.

MJC

Super Moderator
DUDE, WOW! Did you make this adapter? Or can it be purchased, and if so, where?

There are times when I dearly want to be able to put my CTX on my conventional "belly lift" motorcycle stand.

Yes I made it, drawing soon so you can make one if you want. Right now it will work only if you do not have a center stand. I am working on a adapter that will work if you have a center stand. I am also working on making a center stand for the ctx700, bolt on, ez to get the bike on, this stand will only lift the rear wheel 3" or so. But will include a floor plate- when used it will bring the rear wheel up to 6" off the ground. The center stand will be like the one people use now, but some people put a 2 by 4 under the tire so they can lift the bike onto the stand, my center stand you will use a 2 by 4 (floor plate) to put under the center stand when you want to raise the wheel higher off the ground. This way it will be e-z to put the bike on the stand except when you want to have the rear wheel higher off the ground.

MJC

Super Moderator
mjc, thanks for the pix. You've demonstrated by intelligent thought process what can be triumphed over prehistoric ignorance.

Great job!

.....triumphed over prehistoric ignorance." Now that is funny! I would bet that the way you word that would go over the head of a person we both know. Sorry I should not be LMAO at that person.....but every time I think of that person I think, Just because your head get bigger did not make your brain bigger, even tho he thinks so. I have to stop thinking and lmao my side is starting to hurt! Sorry I was a bad boy.

randy1149

.....triumphed over prehistoric ignorance." Now that is funny! I would bet that the way you word that would go over the head of a person we both know. Sorry I should not be LMAO at that person.....but every time I think of that person I think, Just because your head get bigger did not make your brain bigger, even tho he thinks so. I have to stop thinking and lmao my side is starting to hurt! Sorry I was a bad boy.

Well Mike you don't need to apologize, you made the adapter for the jack and I made the reference which could cause umbrage by the recipient... if it didn't go over his head. Applying his legacy from the quality level of his combined publications the results are leaning very strongly to stupidity with some arrogance mixed in... one sentence at a time.

rickster

Honda missed a beat on this one. The CTX700 is listed in their touring catalog. Who made the decision to make a chain driven touring bike without a center stand? My bet it was someone who never laid down on a motel or campground parking lot who had to get up and down time after time as he moved his bike enough to expose the un-lubricated part of his chain! My center stand is in the garage, I've studied all of the Youtube videos which were very helpful, and have thought out some things to address the known issues with the stopper (rubber bumper, 12.9 hardness bolts and locating the stopper lock nut beneath the stopper, etc. ) I have a ratchet strap for the springs and all of the stuff I need. But, it's sunny outside...so to hell with it! I'm goin' for a ride!

rickster

OK, got the center stand on. Not difficult at all with the ratchet strap setup for stretching the springs. I did a few things that I hope will insure the stand will be trouble free. I replaced the center stand stopper bolt (the one that fastens it to the bike) with one that is 12.9 hardness. I also bought a longer stop bolt (the one that keeps the stand from hitting the chain) and put the locking nut on the stop bolt on the bottom side of the center stand stopper. There was still enough bolt length sticking out from the top of the stopper to put a nylock nut on top to keep the bolt from falling out if by chance things loosen. Then, I covered the stopper bolt head with a rubber bumper, like you'd put on the bottom of a round chair foot and fastened it with a hose clamp.

None of this was "original thought". It's all out on the net and is the sum of the best "how to's" I found. Here's what I thought was the most helpful video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEiN7SPPR3o EDIT: And, here is what I thought was the most useful text article: http://www.expandingknowledge.com/J.../CenterStand/2017_01_19_Honda_NC700S/Main.htm

While I was at it, I replaced the passenger pegs with Kuryakyn Mini-Boards and adapters to match the larger boards I have up front. My wife really likes them and now with her added comfort and a more easily maintained bike, we'll enjoy our long tours together even more.

Last edited:

ofdave

I did the longer stop bolt and nylock nut also, never an issue.
I chose to install the springs using the flat screwdriver and blue language method-takes longer tough.
Centerstand is the best thing I ever put on my bike (except for me, of course)

Duffy

I am going to have my mechanic put this center stand on as soon as possible. Maybe as soon as next week.

I read that the stopper was back ordered. Is that still the case or is it available?

Can the center stand be effectively put on the bike without the stopper? Can a good mechanic fabricate an effective stopper?

Steven

The answer to your first question is that without the stopper the center stand will be against the chain.

As for your second question, anything is possible. A person with good fabrication skills can do anything.

ofdave

@Duffy
if you have the Webike stand, you need the stopper. Check the web site for availability.
I saw one install without a stopper and the chain did not hit the stand at rest. I do think while riding there would be a good chance the stand would hit the chain as the chain will flex with swingarm movement. Fortunately the bottom of the chain rotates front to rear so the chain would not grab the stand. But if the chain were to wear a groove in the stand it could be grabbed with bad results.
I would not run the bike without a stopper.
You mentioned in another post that your mechanic is an oldtimer with considerable experience. I bet he could devise a way to make a stopper. Try to find some pics of a bike with a stopper installed and show them to him.
If he says he can't make one, wait till you get a stopper before installing the stand.

Duffy

The answer to your first question is that without the stopper the center stand will be against the chain.

As for your second question, anything is possible. A person with good fabrication skills can do anything.

Can't have the stand against the chain. . . . Purchasing a stopper is my preferred route to take.

Just having a center stand that works well will be a great thing. I like to put my bike on the center stand when at home, etc. My Yamaha Majesty 400 scooter has a very nice center stand and the bike goes up onto it with ease. It makes working on certain things easy and checking other things very easy as well.

rickster

Duffy,
I ordered my stand and stopper a couple of weeks ago from Webike Japan and they both arrived 4 days later. I was impressed.

Regardless of who installs your stand, you may want to consider a couple of things. A few people in the other CTX forum have reported that the 6mm bolt that attaches the stopper to the bike has failed due to shearing forces caused when the spring loaded stand hits the stopper. That causes the stopper to fall onto the roadway and for your stand to come into contact with the chain. The fix, according to what I have read, is to replace that bolt with one that is 12.9 hardness (got mine at my local auto store). One other thing that others have done is to put a rubber bumper that hangs down below the stopping bolt to soften the blow when the bike comes off of the stand (a couple of guys used a hose, I used a rubber chair leg end cap held in place with a metal hose clamp). The stopper arrives with the stopper bolt threaded through the bottom of the stopper and a tightening nut on the top. You may want to replace the bolt with a harder one (10.9) and one that is longer. You would then place the tightening nut at the bottom of the stopper assembly and put a nylock nut on the top to keep the bolt from falling onto the ground if it did become loose. Whether you do the install or have your mechanic do it, the point of doing these things is to obtain an install that is trouble free and reliable. By the way, I love my stand...it makes cleaning the bike and chain maintenance much easier (especially when on a multi-day tour). I've never owned a center stand before, so I'm still learning how to put the bike on it. I'm a short 5' 7" and don't have a lot of lifting distance, so, it isn't exactly easy for me yet. But I am getting better at it as time goes on. I hope this is helpful...

randy1149

I think Hepco & Becker makes a center stand specifically for the CTX BUT... it's almost 100 buck more then the NC700. LINK

If your vertically challenged as I, getting the bike on the NC700 stand can be a chore. I have to put the rear wheel on a 2x4 first to make the job much easier.

Last edited:
I recently purchased a Mutazu NC700 center stand for my CTX. It appears to be a close copy of the Honda OEM stand other than they made the hook for one end of the small spring too small (that was adjusted with pliers) and don't supply a section of hose to put over the springs to keep them from scrubbing on the stand.

All of the stands, Honda OEM or aftermarket, are for the NC-X or NC-S models which use a rubber foot on the stand against the underside of the muffler on the right side of the bike as a stop.

There's a stop sold by a shop in Japan that provides the OEM NC-S stand (shorter height than the longer suspension travel X model) that doesn't look too fancy but they get $40 for it. It is mounted with the M6 bolt that retains the pivot shaft and some people have reported bending of that bolt. I think the problem is that the only thing holding the stop in place is that bolt and many people probably just roll off the stand and let it slam into the stop.

I just finished, other than paint (it is too windy outside right now), a more elaborate stop that should eliminate that issue. I had some bits of .25" HR steel plate on hand that I used along with a piece of .125" angle and some .125" UHMW-PE sheet.

I'd noticed there were some 6 mm fixturing holes in the lower damper mount plates so I shaped and tapped a piece of plate to be clamped to the underside of the mount, then welded a vertical piece of plate to that. The bottom of that (with the plastic underneath) is what contacts the reinforcing rib on the stand so all loads are fed through those plates straight into the frame plate. The bolt only acts to keep the stop from falling on the ground when the stand is down, the rest of the time the stop is held in place by the stand. The retaining screw for the pivot shaft is not used to retain the stop.

I drilled a couple of token lightening holes, and the big one is so the pivot bolt for the suspension rocker can be accessed without removing the stop.

It no doubt is overkill but I think it should be bulletproof (though a bit on the heavy side).

If anyone wants to base their own home-brew stop on what I came up with be my guest.

Japanese stop:
http://www.eurospares.com/graphics/FF/Honda%20CTX700/NCcenterstandstopperOverRacing.jpg

My stop in place on the bike: http://www.eurospares.com/graphics/FF/Honda%20CTX700/centerstandstopper_0991.jpg

My stop, various views:

http://www.eurospares.com/graphics/FF/Honda%20CTX700/centerstandstopper_0994.jpg

http://www.eurospares.com/graphics/FF/Honda%20CTX700/centerstandstopper_0996.jpg

http://www.eurospares.com/graphics/FF/Honda%20CTX700/centerstandstopper_0998.jpg

http://www.eurospares.com/graphics/FF/Honda%20CTX700/centerstandstopper_1002.jpg

cheers,
Michael

randy1149

Duffy,
I ordered my stand and stopper a couple of weeks ago from Webike Japan and they both arrived 4 days later. I was impressed.

Regardless of who installs your stand, you may want to consider a couple of things. A few people in the other CTX forum have reported that the 6mm bolt that attaches the stopper to the bike has failed due to shearing forces caused when the spring loaded stand hits the stopper. That causes the stopper to fall onto the roadway and for your stand to come into contact with the chain. The fix, according to what I have read, is to replace that bolt with one that is 12.9 hardness (got mine at my local auto store). One other thing that others have done is to put a rubber bumper that hangs down below the stopping bolt to soften the blow when the bike comes off of the stand (a couple of guys used a hose, I used a rubber chair leg end cap held in place with a metal hose clamp). The stopper arrives with the stopper bolt threaded through the bottom of the stopper and a tightening nut on the top. You may want to replace the bolt with a harder one (10.9) and one that is longer. You would then place the tightening nut at the bottom of the stopper assembly and put a nylock nut on the top to keep the bolt from falling onto the ground if it did become loose. Whether you do the install or have your mechanic do it, the point of doing these things is to obtain an install that is trouble free and reliable. By the way, I love my stand...it makes cleaning the bike and chain maintenance much easier (especially when on a multi-day tour). I've never owned a center stand before, so I'm still learning how to put the bike on it. I'm a short 5' 7" and don't have a lot of lifting distance, so, it isn't exactly easy for me yet. But I am getting better at it as time goes on. I hope this is helpful...

I secured a piece of rubber hose with tie wraps on the leg of the stand to absorb the shock... all is well for over a year

pipster326

Yesterday, I finally had some time to try and install the Hepco and Becker center stand. Everything went pretty well, but I was unaware that in order to mount the spring holder , on the right side, you must loosen and move the exhaust mount.
Did anyone else have that problem?

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk