Kick stand

Steven

I realized I had to do something about how far the bike leans on the side stand. The other day I pulled up to park and there was a little pot hole where the kick stand went. The bike was leaning way to far and that was without luggage. I came up with a temporary solution. I cut a piece of wood about .5 inches thick (maybe a little thicker - I didn't measure) and drilled some holes and attached it to the kick stand. Then I painted it black to keep it dry and so it wouldn't look so stupid. The bike still leans "enough" but it sits higher now. I made it approximately twice as big as the foot on the kick stand so it should be better on soft ground. We'll see if it lasts. Eventually I'll make it out of metal.

Steven

I saw the pads but I needed one that raised the bike up more than what they looked like on ebay. What I have on there now may be slightly too high, but I'll see. I'm heading out tomorrow so I don't have time to order one to find out. Thanks. I'll look into when I get back.

ofdave

good thinking
I have done that in the past. I used wood screws and cut the bottom of the pad at an angle so it laid flat on the ground. A little flat black and it looked pretty good-couldn't tell it from metal.

I've never seen a pad to purchase that was thick enough.

Last edited:

Merlin III

Thickness is relative. Yes, it at times looks like the bike leans too much, but then again, there comes that time that you are touring western Canada, run out of gas, and can't get the kickstand down because of the cross slope of the road. I would like to stick with what the Honda engineers came up with. I made my own, but it looks like crap. Are posters saying that those Ebay, NC700 feet fit the CTX700?

ponydrvr

@Steven, Been there, Done that! I finally ended up taking the kick stand off and going to my favorite local machine shop and had them extend the leg 3/4" and increase the size of the foot pad. It was < $20 and now, ... PROBLEM SOLVED!

Steven

I'm back from my trip and the block of wood I used to extend the kick stand worked out perfectly. It was much better than the stock height. It did break in two, but I fixed it with a pipe clamp. It held together after that. I'll be working on a permanent fix soon. If I can find a machine shop and do what ponydrvr did, it would be finished. I recommend doing this.

There were times when it seemed too long and I had to lean the bike to the right to get the stand down but when I got off the bike and the suspension raised up, it was perfect.