Thoughts

randy1149

... For the record, this is entirely my fault.

Steven with all do respect. Are not the OEM mounting configuration (red circles on your pix) at best marginal for the CB windshield... especially with the two lower well-nuts up to the job with the added PSI by the CB windshield?

Steven

They seem to hold well enough, but the issue I have is that it's possible for the shield to slide downwards and out the attachment points if they are not tight enough. When I install a new shield I'm going to add bolts and washers at the upper connection point (just under the Honda mounting hardware) to prevent it from being able to slide downwards. With the foam (that is in the picture) the shield braces itself decently and there doesn't seem to be any flex of the shield at any speed, but without the plastic of the bikes fairing, there was more movement (only slight) but enough to allow the shield to slowly work it's way downwards and out of the mounting holes, at least that's my theory. Like you said, the extra PSI only exacerbated the problem and hastened the resulting situation.

At least I got to see what it was like riding an unfaired bike. Needless to say it was quite a bit noisier and when I would turn my head the wind would want to make the helmet turn more. Sometimes I forget how nice windshields make riding.

Since I wasn't prepared to spend money replacing this stuff I had to make adjustments. I was going to send my forks to Boston to have the Racetech cartridge emulators installed but I found a different alternative that would be easier and cheaper. Ricor makes what they call an "Intiminator" which does a similar job and it only requires changing the fork oil and dropping their device inside the forks. It will be about $300 cheaper and that should about pay for a new shield plus the x-creen.

randy1149

Thanks Steven, your post is exactly what most others have determined. Those lower mounts let the shield slide down an out specially with higher PSI. Your a better man than me taking the fault of poor installation hardware supplied by the windshield. In my eyes your not... there's probably 10 other owners that had the same problem.

Steven

The important thing is that people become aware of this problem and I believe that I can prevent it from happening again like I described above. I just finished ordering a new CB shield and a x-creen (I liked that combination), plus the attachment hardware. Shortly it will all be a memory.

I have a theory about life. When bad things happens, it's life telling me that there is something that I need to learn and for that I become a better person. I know that sounds naive, but it's better to think that way rather than let life's minor trials and tribulations ruin such an awesome experience, life itself. You gotta admit, the fact that we exist is pretty darn cool!

I'm going to wax on philosophically a little longer... It's like what brought many of us here to this site. At the moment it seemed important to be upset with the way we were treated on the other site, but now it feels like leaving there was a blessing, like we woke up from a bad dream. I'm really glad that some of the members stop by here, I really enjoy them, but as for the other site... why would we want to subject ourselves to what was an unpleasant atmosphere. So, in a way, what was a bad thing turned out to be a good thing.

I know that not everyone will agree with what I just said (maybe someday) and that some might not understand it the way I meant it, but it's very pleasant being here with you folks. Even ofdave has begun making with the funny stuff again.

Last edited:

Steven

Yes I gotta admit we living here is cool. How that happened is where the controversy begins.

In my mind, it's not controversy, it's curiosity and speculation. To bad some take it too seriously. If we ever find the truth out about our existence, I think it's going to be something we didn't expect and couldn't ever imagine.

Getting back to that shield thing again, there's another reason to wear a helmet, you never know when pieces are going to fall off your bike and hit you in the head! :)

Last edited:

Steven

Last night I went for a ride, it was hot and the humidity was high. I got no more than a mile out of town and I could't see through my helmet shield, it was covered in bugs (I'm not exaggerating) and I kept getting stung in the neck from all the bug collisions, Then I made the mistake of trying to wipe it off with my glove, it just smeared and made it even worse. I headed back into town and stopped at the gas station to wash the helmet off. This has to be one of the worse summers in Illinois in terms of humidity and bugs.

I want my shield back! I see people riding all the time without shields I just don't know how they do it. I'm so spoiled!

BTW, the other day I ran into an older Goldwing rider and his wife and he was about ready to downsize. He was complaining about the GW being too heavy and hard to handle in stop and go traffic. He showed a "slight" interest in the CTX so maybe we have another convert a few years down the road.

MJC

Super Moderator
I like the photos, here is one I took 9/11/16, I will post about how to install a CB windshield with a lock bolt so it does not come off when I have time.
DSCF3917.jpg
DSCF3918.jpg

Steven

I like photos too, the more the merrier. There are so many interesting things to see and show that words can't convey. I'm interested in the lock bolt, so thanks...

There's one thing I mean to take a picture of, someone put a tractor on top of an old grain silo, why, I just don't know, but it's rather odd and interesting. :)

I also stopped at a small graveyard to take a picture of a tree and while there I found a gravestone of a woman named Lucy that was born in 1785. She lived to be 92 years old and what's interesting is that this woman lived her whole life without seeing cars or electricity, perhaps not even a train. For her, transportation was by horse and it's even possible that the horse drawn wagon that I took a picture of (not too far from where she was buried) was one that she actually rode on. She also lived through the American Civil war.

Here's another picture of the wagon.

Attachments

• Horse drawn wagon small.jpg
    Horse drawn wagon small.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:

Steven

I don't know who painted the flag, but it probably looked pretty nice when new, now it has character.

Here's the tractor I was speaking about.

Horse drawn wagon small.jpgHorse drawn wagon small-2.jpgStill Plays with tractors.jpgBike tractor.jpg

Last edited:

Steven

Oh, you might like this... This is the tree that made me stop at the graveyard. The bike is on the right... It's a silly picture, but it's something to do.

Graveyard Tree-2.jpg

MJC

Super Moderator
Steven, here is the pix of the windshield, the center bolt holds the windshield in place. It is a 1/4" bolt, you drill a hole into the windshield , into the plastic, then into the metal bracket. Bolt goes thou all, use 1/2" washers and 1/2 plastic or rubber washers against windshield. Use a 3/8" drill bit and lock nut. DSCF3932.jpg
The duct tape has nothing to do with anything, just stopping some air. You maybe able to see where I wielded the windshield back together after it broke but that had nothing to do with bolting it down, the bike fall over (long story) before I added the set bolt and replaced the factory bolts with real blots and washers. I also angled the windshield more away from me. I would have never tried any of this if the windshield did not brake, plus the fact that is was so lose and moved around too much, now it is rock solid.
Thanks for the photos keep them coming I like them.

Steven

Well it's Sunday and the weather is beautiful. All the garage queens are out in force. One bike in particular stood out, it was bright yellow with a 2 foot wide rear tire and... a V8 motor. I though about racing him, but there was no point because we all know the red bikes (like mine) are the fastest. My ears took a beating because of all the loud exhausts.

Steven

Nothing much going on, just ordering parts for electrical upgrades. It's been either too humid to be outdoors or too nice to not ride and so I've been procrastinating. I've got my new shields but haven't installed them. The bugs when riding at night have been horrendous, literally one mile and I have to stop and clean my visor. I just don't know how anyone can ride without a shield. When everything is good, it's not bad at all (actually kind of fun), but....

Last night's sunset...

1 Sunset small.jpg

btw, you would not believe how many people stopped (when I did to take pictures or whatnot) to ask me if everything was okay. It's an amazing thing!

Last edited: