This could be a good forum

MJC

Super Moderator
I think the name of this thread should be "This is the Good Forum" check us out, read and see why, join and get involved. This is the only ctx700 forum for YOU, to share what You know or Ask what You do not. It is all about the CTX700 and YOU. Please note if You are new to the CTX700 there is good info and knowledge here, just look or ask. And if you are one of the Knowledgeable people, that just means you have been here or owned the CTX700 longer then the new owners, That does not make you into a "God". But we do think you for sharing. There are things that work on/for the CTX that can or may work today and tomorrow there maybe a better way, so go ahead and post what works for you just remember someone may find a better way and they are welcome to, the OP should not be mad, but happy that we are all working together to better each other and our ctx700's. Personally I have been riding, teaching riding, fixing/repairing, moding bikes for over 30 years, I do not know everything but I am willing to share what I do, and if there is a better way to do it I am open to learn. You should be too. Having said all of the above, I am not talking about YOU or people here, just what kind of person you should be on this forum. We do not want or I do not want, this forum to end up like the other forum (not going into details) just looking to get, share info and make a few friends a long the way. ......

randy1149

I don't think this forum will end up like the "other" forum. "That" forum is in a category in and of itself below the bottom of the barrel elevating above just the motorcycle riders. They reached rock bottom and begun digging, to a level no mortals can even imagine.

Thumper

I still read that forum because I was there from the beginning! However, I am only there because I have some friends over the last few years and like to read what they have to say once in a while. I don't post much and I won't let anyone run me off.
That said, I like to members on this forum as well. I hate that several got banned at the other site but there are worse things in life I guess. As long as I can share with friends and other enthusiasts, I'm good. I still check in with the Versys forum and NC700 forum as well.

randy1149

I still read that forum because I was there from the beginning! However, I am only there because I have some friends over the last few years and like to read what they have to say once in a while. I don't post much and I won't let anyone run me off.
That said, I like to members on this forum as well. I hate that several got banned at the other site but there are worse things in life I guess. As long as I can share with friends and other enthusiasts, I'm good. I still check in with the Versys forum and NC700 forum as well.

I still read from that forum also. But it's only with a critical eye. I have no respect for the owners of it, the Admin, several mods and the information posted as facts. In a nut shell you can not believe anything, their track record is so bad you have to take everything with a grain of salt.

Rebel13 and jfc's are the worst mods I have every come across in 30 years in web site forums. The times they've been challenged goes beyond average or normal... they are just out and out liars. Rebel loves to rebuttal you with 4 paragraphs of absolute nonsense and then tells you you haven't read it or don't understand it or both. Another negative reply from you and a "disrespecting a mod" warning is in your PM.

Tell you friends about this place. We may not no everything, but what they get will be as factual as we can be.

Last edited:

ofdave

Tell you friends about this place. We may not no everything, but what they get will be as factual as we can be.

Agreed-factual is the operative word.
Opinions will be stated as opinion and not fact-that's why this place is better and can only grow.

randy1149

I'd like to add one more recommendation that this is a forum for motorcycles not for politics, religion, climate warming or any other controversial topic not related to motorcycles. Also political or religious icons or avatars are forbidden and removed by the managers of this forum. If you need to release your opinion on any of the above mentioned topics, please do it on the "other" CTX700 forum... I don't care what political party or politicians you vote for... keep it to yourself. Lets keep this place dedicated to our common denominator, motorcycles and the CTX.... thanks.

ofdave

+1 to randy's comment
I do think an "off topic" section would be good though, talk about you plumbing problem, your car, foortball, barbeque, etc.-just no religion or politics, or controversial issues.
I'd also like to see an :Other Bikes" thread. I believe most of us here just really like bikes. Talking about others than the CTX doesn't hurt anything. Witness the Aprilla thread elsewhere.

Thumper

I like those comments! I ride several different bikes and yet I enjoy reading and sharing about the Honda CTX700. I just think it is one of those designs that has come along and hit the mark for a lot of riders. It may not be everybody's cup of tea, but no one could deny it's reliability and handling.

DevilsFan

If I may be so bold to chime in on this discussion...

I have been on these motorcycle forums since 2003. Since then there are things I can contemplate the differences between a "Motorcycle Forum" and a "GREAT Motorcycle Forum".
First, you have to establish what it is you want out of the forum. Examples could be, but not limited to or in this order:

1) A place to go for General "motorcycle-related" discussions WITH a bias towards the specific bike the forum is designed for,
2) A place that will have limited moderation - unless it's politics, religion, politics, religion, politics, religion (because there are always "those people"),
3) Absolutely NO PERSONAL ATTACKS against anyone,
4) An "Off-Topic" section where almost anything goes. This needs to have a warning posted and should only be given access to registered members,
5) An understanding from ALL MEMBERS that sometimes there are disagreements...and sometimes there are heated disagreements! Let it go so as long as all members refer to #3.

From my experiences on these motorcycle forums is that the best forums have the best discussions in the "Off-Topic" section. But not only are the "Off-Topic" discussions good, they create friendships, humor and allow a forum to grow into something more than just CTX, CTX, CTX (or whatever bike-specific the forum was designed for). If a forum is ONLY ALLOWED model-specific discussion it's only going to be as strong as the current owners are.

The reason I say this is because, truth be told, as much as we all love our CTX's, after a few years (or sooner) many members go with something different. When they do it's important not to make them feel like they are done here, but just the opposite. They need to feel like this is their home no matter what motorcycle(s) they own!

We lost our old Intruder forum a few months back. But let me tell you, that forum was strong for 14 years!!! There was banter, the fights, the tech section and the stories and humor from all those members made that site a FAMILY!!! Not everyone liked everyone else, and there were a few that were so out there...but they we're like that one family member that shows up at Thanksgiving and treats your home like their own...they drive you crazy but they are always invited back next year!
Oh, and there were very few that owned Intruders but they stayed on for years!

Merlin III

If I may be so bold to chime in on this discussion...

Spot on! A biggie in my opinion, is keeping contentious, non-MC, subjects isolated from those who don't want to go to the "Dark Side". ADVRIDER is the best example of how to do that. You can make sure, very easily, that none of that comes across your screen unless you want it.

DevilsFan

Steven stated it well when he mentioned that sometimes people get "offended" so another person wants to lock the thread. Again, unless there are personal attacks then there should be no "Locking of threads". Trust me, the thread will either lose it's interest...or even better, we can all laugh at whoever is arguing!!! :cool: (Kinda like instigating your little brother!!! :D :D :D ) And don't act like when you're with your friends you all don't poke a little fun at each other!!! A great forum should be no different as that's what friends do!

Also, I probably should have added this to my previous post, and it's probably THE MOST IMPORTANT of all...

People need some thick skin on these forums!!!!

I say this with the notion that, time and again, what is TYPED is not always the same as if it was SAID!!! Some people are not as articulate as others (that'd be me!) and don't express through a post the same way they could if they were talking to you face-to-face. So members need to have a little understanding that not every post is meant to demean or attack!!!

There should also be a rule that if you threaten to leave the forum...then don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out!!! IT'S A FORUM, FOR PETE'S SAKE!!! PEOPLE WILL RUFFLE FEATHERS!!! GET OVER IT!!!

MJC

Super Moderator
My opinion on what makes a good forum is this. THE PEOPLE. Most join for whatever the forum is about, some just want info or details, some share what they have done or know, most want to be friendly, some want to be funny, some love to brake your balls, some just want to talk about controversial subjects and start shit because they get off on that, and the list goes on..... The only kid of person that is bad for any forum is one that has a opinion (right or wrong) and is not open to other opinions, These people know it all, get there info from who knows where and do not care what others think, only there opinion is what counts and they are right all the time. If you do not agree with them, they will go out of there way to make you look like you are the wrong or that your opinion/facts/info should not to be counted. The only reason they are on a forum is because it is the only place that they can act like they are King and get away with it. People who do not know (in this forum about the ctx700) will believe that this person is right on what he is posting. Once that happens the King (in his eyes) will post more (non forum related) views/posts on what he wants you to believe so he can remind you that he is the King (know it all). So I say, if you want a good forum, be open to whatever, post your opinion, share your views, tell us how to, learn, just do not think of yourself (or be) a know it all, every persons opinion counts be it right or wrong but be the kind of person that will say "I was wrong", "you are right" "that is a better idea then mine" "Thanks for sharing"........and I think the most important, point out (in a nice way) the Kings and move them to a new kingdom. If you want to keep or grow a forum you have to have open, friendly, people. Subject does not matter, it will change, just you be willing too. just my 2 cents.

Last edited: