Trailering advice

fergy

Planning on trailering my CTX to our new home in Delaware in the near future. I have a HF 4x8 trailer, the HF chock, all the straps and tie downs. I am going to secure the front from just above the triple tree clamp. I tested my soft ties on it today to see where the ratchet straps and/or soft ties might rub on the underside of the fairing. Looks like if I go straight out at 45 degrees from each side that their might be some rubbing. But if I criss-cross the straps it would be clear. Do you think there is any problem with doing the criss-cross or will it be just as secure? Also, would the hand holds work for the back ties or should I use the saddle bag hooks. I was going to just ride the bike down, but I need to get the trailer down there anyway and will be putting some other long, unwieldy stuff on the trailer with the bike.

kujawskir

I've never tried the crisscross thing, hopefully others can help with strapping methods.

The thing I see wrong most on trailers is too much weight on the tongue. Forgive me if you already know your setup, but with a load that light, 100 lbs on the tongue is more than enough. Read the manual to the pulling vehicle, max tongue weight is usually 200 lbs. Whatever the book says, if you go near that plus the load in the trunk/bed you can quickly find yourself fighting the steering. Hitches are for pulling weight, the vehicle shocks are not magically stronger without changing them or using expensive equalizers.

If the steering does not feel very normal then it's loaded wrong, move the weight forward/back until not lifting or dropping the hitch much, and centered on the trailer. Braking and acceleration can feel different, but steering on the level should not.

- hope this helps

fergy

Thanks. I set the posotion of the front chock so that the bulk of the bikes weight is centered near the axles of the trailer so I should be good there.

MJC

Super Moderator
I have been trailing my bike all summer. I just tie my front wheel to the wheel chock, When I ride my bike onto the trailer the front wheel chock locks the front wheel into the chock, I just use a tie to make sure the tire stays put. I then remove the seat, put a srtrip from one side over the frame to the other side, then replace the seat. works great. You can also use the passinger hold-ons to help hold the rear in place, I used them once but it is not realy needed.I went from NY to IN, and back, NY to KY and back and upstate NY and back by way of VT, MA and CT. In Oct going to NC using same set up/ I do lock the bike down with a cable tie lock, bike to trailer, so no one can take the bike off the trailer. And pad lock the trailer to my SUV. just so I know I did my best to make it harder to take.

fergy

Thanks Mike. You are a braver man than I, so I think I will still use the soft ties and straps on the triple clamp. My guess is that the crossing of the straps won't matter (especially in light of what has been working well for you). I like that idea of lifting the seat and running the strap through there for the rear. Looks like you have been getting around and enjoying the summer!

MJC

Super Moderator
Yes fergy I have been all over this year. Wish it was on the bike and not bike on trailer...lol. With all the rain hard to leave home without taking the trailer. I hate riding in the rain but do not want that to stop me from going places.

I will be out by Bear Mnt. on Saturday if you care to meet up and ride up to New Paltz by way of Storm King Highway. Email me before 9AM or see me at the top of the Mnt at 11 or so.

here is a photo of bike on trailer, you can see that the hold downs are very HD, and wheel chock is too.
DSCF0146.jpg

Last edited:

burdicda

The only straps are on that drive in wheel chock...nothing across the back or from the handlebars down...???

fergy

Yes fergy I have been all over this year. Wish it was on the bike and not bike on trailer...lol. With all the rain hard to leave home without taking the trailer. I hate riding in the rain but do not want that to stop me from going places.

I will be out by Bear Mnt. on Saturday if you care to meet up and ride up to New Paltz by way of Storm King Highway. Email me before 9AM or see me at the top of the Mnt at 11 or so.

here is a photo of bike on trailer, you can see that the hold downs are very HD, and wheel chock is too.
View attachment 1110

Sorry I missed you today. Getting this move together is taking up some time. Thanks for the pice though. Great trailer set up!

MJC

Super Moderator
The only straps are on that drive in wheel chock...nothing across the back or from the handlebars down...???

The Condor front chock locks the front wheel in, plus I strap it. I then put the kickstand up, take the seat off, run HD strap from loop bolted into trailer bed, around the frame of the bike (at the seat) and down to a 2nd loop bolted to the trailer on the other side. This strap pushes the bike down, the front and rear go down. If I wanted to put down the kickstand, I could not. I then re-install the seat.

I have also blocked the rear wheel, when you put a wood block in front and rear of the rear wheel. Plus run two more straps from the rear bag bars to the trailer. Then ran one strap from under the
triple tree clamp to the trailer out the sides. If I do this set up with the 1st set up, the rear wood blocks come loose, so they are not good. The strap to the triple tree makes the seat strap loose and puts too much down pressure on the front end, so I do not do that anymore. I will on long trips just do the 1st set up and add the two straps on the rear bag bars after I do the seat strip and just use little pressure on the bag straps.

Here is a photo of the bag straps just so you can see where they go. I install the seat strap 1st (not in photo) then bag straps.
DSCF0144.jpg

ponydrvr

I would be concerned about the kickstand being in the down position and becoming damaged or worse yet -damaging the frame of the bike. Like you I always compress the suspension about 50% on both front and rear.