Anyone have Vertigo??

BobWitte

On Friday, I spent 10 hours in the local Hospital Trauma Center. When I awoke at my usual 5:00am, I was exhibiting symptoms of a possible posterior stroke. Among other symptoms, I was extremely dizzy and was having waves of nausea. I called my primary doctor and was told to come in right away, but with 20 years of heart disease under my belt, once my nausea turned into vomiting, I headed to the trauma center 5 minutes from my house instead (I figured that's all my PC Doc would do anyway -- and the Hospital staff said it was the right thing to do!).

But, I have to thank God for His tender mercies. Despite my stroke-like symptoms and years of blood plaque build ups, after a CT scan & full cranial MRI, there was no sign of a stroke. Instead I had suddenly developed a "classic case" of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV).

This type of vertigo is a fun filled surprise awaiting a fair amount of our older generation. Clearly, the over 50 crowd are the winners of this Life Lotto. But other than causing an old person to fall and get hurt (or even die!), BPPV by itself is not dangerous, nor terminal -- just annoying.

Now I come to my dear wife of 50+ years. She was never keen on my return to riding in the first place but this latest episode yesterday has freaked her out over any thought of me mounting up and riding off. So I like to know if anybody out there has had this condition or knows someone who has it and is still able to ride. Therefore, what are my prospects for the future??

TIA,
Bob

Woodswoman

Bob, just tossing this out there.

My husband was mis-diagnosed with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, when in fact what he had was a persistent sinus infection that had worked its way into his ears. He went through four miserable, scary episodes like you described before the true cause -- a low-grade strep infection -- was found by a PA filling in for our regular MD.

Multiple courses of antibiotics, coupled a round of steroids, turned the trick and <<knocking wood>> he hasn't had a vertigo episode since. Bonus: He even got back the sense of taste he had almost entirely lost.

Do you have problems with persistent allergic reaction, congestion, post nasal drip, etc?