First bike picture 2018

12MANY

Hey, the more posts the better!!! I always see more people subscribing to the site but never post. Your seat looks very custom. Can you tell me more about it? It looks very comfortable.

RicardoAS

Here you have a pick from [emoji633]

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Steven

Hey, the more posts the better!!! I always see more people subscribing to the site but never post. Your seat looks very custom. Can you tell me more about it? It looks very comfortable.

It's a Russel Day Long seat. The stock seat was good for maybe 200 miles non stop, this RDL seat is good for the entire trip. I've only ridden several 500 miles nonstops with the RDL, but I never gave my butt a second thought. What's different about the RDL seat compared to the rest is that they install metal brackets to allow the seat to be wider than normal. I also installed highway pegs which allow me to change my seating position when I want. I can't stress this enough, but the seat "with" the highway pegs creates a very comfortable riding position. At the end of the day, I feel just as I did at the beginning, no pain and no discomfort.

I can tell you this... A good seat is worth it regardless of the cost.

RicardoAS - Looking good!

12MANY

I am 5’11” with a 22” Madstad shield, floor boards and a Beadrider seat top that keeps my butt a little cooler. Problem is I sit more on the slope of the seat. The Corbin seat and possibly the Russel appear raise the seat height to move you back and over the hump. I am afraid it will make the shield that is adjusted all the way up too short for me. I think I will bungee cord some padding to the top of seat and test out the higher seat height.
SEAT1.jpg

Steven

I am 5’11” with a 22” Madstad shield, floor boards and a Beadrider seat top that keeps my butt a little cooler. Problem is I sit more on the slope of the seat. The Corbin seat and possibly the Russel appear raise the seat height to move you back and over the hump. I am afraid it will make the shield that is adjusted all the way up too short for me. I think I will bungee cord some padding to the top of seat and test out the higher seat height.

We're about the same height and I had the same concerns you did. Remember, these seats are custom so you can have them made the way you want. It's not only the thickness that makes these seats comfortable it's the way they redistribute your weight onto your thighs. The foam on the RDL has compressed since I first got it and I do sit a little lower than when new. RDL requires that you give it time for this to happen and then they will adjust the seat if you ask. I have a 32 inch inseam and I can sit flat footed on the bike without stretching my legs.

Years ago I bought another custom seat and while it looked cushy, it was rather firm, but it worked perfectly. Not one complaint on long trips. BTW, that company moved to Florida about 180 miles from your location. It's called Diamond seats. Their work back then was excellent.

http://diamondseats.com/

It's up to you but valour seats will be better in the Florida sun. They don't get so hot, but you will need a seat cover for when it rains.

Just finished my first spring mod, and I'm happy with the CustomTaylor33 reflective rim tape. Should help visibility. Installation pretty straight forward, helped by the little wheel cleaning stand. Hope the pics post correctly...sunlight, dusk, and dark.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 153
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 152
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

Brunnka_CTX

View attachment 1006

I'm about 6' 2" and have a 32" inseam. When I first got my bike I put a 20" Madstad windshield on it which turned out to be too short. However, I waited before replacing it since I knew I was going to be putting a Corbin seat on it and wasn't sure the 22" was going to be enough or if I was going to have to talk to Madstad about having a bigger one custom made. When I finally decided to replace my 20" I noticed that Madstad offers a 24" and a 28" replacement windshields for the CTX. I got the 24" and it has worked out great. I ride with it almost all the way up.

MJC

Super Moderator
Ready to ride. I moved the top case back, added lights to case, top rack. Now I am ready for my touring. On the seat I made a cover for the air pad (forget the brand name) so water will not stop me from riding. On the fake tank I added a map cover, Out front I added new driving lights. All tested and ready to go.
DSCF0124.jpgDSCF0116.jpg

Last edited:

12MANY

Looks good, nice set up MJC!! You really have made the most of your storage space. Can you tell me about the tall bag sitting on the passenger seat, like what brand is it? I cant make out the logo on the back of it but it looks familiar.

MJC

Super Moderator
it is a Kuryakyn full dresser bag, 25 tall by 15 wide by 12 deep. it has two hard shelves that come up about 2/3's of the 25" so you can fold down about 6-8" of the top of the bag when not in use. you should be able to find one on ebay. they do not make them any more. if you do get one make sure you get the rain cover and the wheels are still on the bag. many remove the wheels to make it fit better on the rear rack. new cost $250, used $125 to $150 with shipping. On a side note if you set it up like i did, you will not be able to open your top case with the bag on the seat. but the bag does have small side bags. That is one of the resons i need the small bag on the top case rack. hope that helps, mj

Last edited:

Woodswoman

Tell me about the map case you selected, MJC. What brand? Where'd you get it? How is it attached, please?

I want a map case for my upcoming trip. Can't decide which one would be good to use on the CTX. I have one that's years old, but it's magnetic.

MJC

Super Moderator
It is a Wolfman Luggage Map Pocket, for the Explorer Lite Tank Bag. it is 9 by 13" long, it is installed with hook and loop, the back of the map pocket comes with hook. I got new 3M hook and loop, and installed the loop on the cover of the fake tank. one on top edge, one on bottom and one in the middle. The hook and loop was $4, and comes 3 " wide by 5" long. I remove the map cover and roll it up when not in use but the slef glued loop stays on the bike. I was able to get a used tank cover and saved my good one in case I sell the bike (thanks ofDave). There is one on Ebay from the guy I got mine from, $17 w/ free shiping, last one.....
mj

Finished installing the Mutazu rear rack assembly on the Silver Bullet, and got itchy for a ride. Threw on the Dream Apparel saddle bags and the Nomad trunk bag and went for a 50 mile "county cruise". Will install Effem Tee's closet rod mod next:p.

Sooo happy spring is finally here....:D:D:D

Attachments

• Silver Bullet cruiser.jpg
    Silver Bullet cruiser.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Plaque.jpg
    Plaque.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

rickster

OK, not my first bike picture (s) of 2018. But, after all, it's almost June!

I was out wandering around on the CTX this morning and thinking how nice that we haven't had blistering heat yet in the Central Valley (California). Our record highs in May have hit well above the 100 degree mark, but this year it's been mostly in the mid 70's with only a few 80 degree days. As I enjoyed the weather I put my mental navigation system on auto-pilot and found myself in the old west town of Folsom. I found a couple of places to get photos of the bike with the cities name in view for reference. Since Johnny Cash made the city and its prison such easy to recognize places, I thought I'd put a few of them here.

P1300513.jpg
The old Folsom Train Station. (I hear the train a comin' It's rollin' 'round the bend....)

P1300523.jpg
The "Escape Folsom" sign was pretty cool. The Johnny Cash Memorial Bicycle Trail is only a short distance from here.

Last edited: