Kick-stand Right?

MJC

Super Moderator
Do motorcycles where you ride on the right side of the st have kickstands on the right side of the bike? Just wondering.

Looks like I will have to start learning how to get on my bike from the right side, never did it before so was thinking what do people do in England? Do they have the kickstand on the right side?

Time for youtube?

ofdave

no
on many bikes there is "stuff" in the way of putting it on the right and not cost effective to redo so the stand would be on the right.

why get on from the right?
many do it now but with the stand on the left it always looks awkward to me.

kujawskir

My wife gets on the back from the right with no trouble. Her left is not so strong and she has trouble from that side. Of course, she has me already on and holding the bike.
I'd say if the rider had to mount from the right it might be a good idea to turn the wheel and hold the front brake on.

ofdave

My wife gets on the back from the right with no trouble. Her left is not so strong and she has trouble from that side. Of course, she has me already on and holding the bike.
I'd say if the rider had to mount from the right it might be a good idea to turn the wheel and hold the front brake on.

I hold the front brake every time I get on a bike.
Watched a guy get on one in a showroom and apparently the floor was sloped. The minute he got on and straightened up it rolled into another bike and knocked it over

MJC

Super Moderator
My left leg is getting to the point that it can not hold me up. so now i am going to try and use my right leg more. so off to youtube to find people getting on there bikes from the right side. just seems wrong to me but maybe someone out there makes it look ok...........or i may watch funny youtubes of people trying this and i may just lol...

rickster

I don't know if this will help with getting on the bike from the right...but for those who stuggle with "swinging a leg over, check out the video linked to below.

I'm a short 5'6", and lost most of my flexibility by my mid 50's. Swinging a leg over my CTX with side cases and a top box proved to be pretty frustrating. Then, I found this YouTube video. I use a modified version of the second example he shows. I put my knee on the seat first, then reach back and pull my foot over. I dismount in the reverse sequence. Now, I have to say that when I pull up in front of my favorite breakfast place that is full of other motorcyclists, that this gets a few grins and chuckles from the crowd. But, I'll be 70 years old in a few days and my ability to be embarrassed by this was lost at just about the same time as my flexibility went out the window!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARcbo_dr02Y

randy1149

ike, I have an "work around" for your mounting problem. Remember in the old cowboy movies when the good guy was tied up on the 2nd floor of a barn? He whistled and his horse came running and stopped under the barns 2nd floor door and he jump out spread his legs and landed on the horse and off he went.

Well you can do the same thing. When parking your bike at night bike it under a 2nd floor window (you getting where I'm going?) The next day you jump out the second floor window, spread your legs and land right on the saddle and off you go. Maybe you can even cut a video on youtube for us?

See what a great forum this is... you won't even get that kind of high tech detailed information from Rebel or that other jfc shithead.

Summer getting close... if only the frigging snow stops.

randy1149

Mike, I have a "work around" for your mounting problem. Remember in the old cowboy movies when the good guy was tied up on the 2nd floor of a barn? He whistled and his horse came running and stopped under the barns 2nd floor door and he jumped out spreading his legs and landed on the horse and off he went.

Well you can do the same thing. When parking your bike at night, bike it under a 2nd floor window (you getting where I'm going with this?) The next day when you want to ride you jump out the second floor window, spread your legs and land right on the saddle and off you go. Maybe you can even cut a video for us on youtube?

See what a great forum this is... you won't even get that kind of high tech detailed information from Rebel or that other jfc shithead.

Summer getting close... if only the frigging snow stops.

Last edited:

MJC

Super Moderator
randy, i live in a 1 story home....
i have seen the guy jump on the horse and said doing that would be bad for the boys, not going to try. but i would be willing to video smeone doing it just not me.

all my snow of today has melted. bike is ready to go. still have to work on getting on it.....if only i had a 2nd floor...lol.