Grab Rails

MJC

Super Moderator
Has anyone removed the passenger grab rails? I have the fairing model and it comes with the grab rails, I was thinking of removing them. If I do remove them are the bolts going to be too long without the grab rail to be used or are they OK?

Anyone got photos of a fairing model without the grab rails?

just wondering, mj

Glen e

You can remove them, a shorter hex cap bolt from Lowe's or AMZN should do the job ....you can find them there in anodized black. There is a spacer underneath that bolt, if you take it out , you'll have an even bigger hole. Also there is a large rectagular pad there too

Last edited:

12MANY

If the bolts were only holding on the grab rails I think you could just remove them and cover the hole with part # 8 COVER, R. COWL *NHA30M* (DIGITAL SILVER METALLIC) 81314-MJF-A00ZH and the #13 screws off the naked model. This is how the N model comes without the handles and just a strap over the seat to hold onto. To access the threaded lugs for the grab handles on the N model you have to pull the rear cowls off and remove these covers. Amazingly they only cost $8.64 each and you would have to look up the year of your bike under the N model parts to get your correct paint color matched and there are different part numbers for the left and right one they are not interchangeable. I am guessing the N model covers will fit the rear cowls of the D model but cant guarantee it. I have attached a pic of the ones off my bike.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2016/ctx700n-a-ctx700n/rear-cowl

cowlcover1.JPG

MJC

Super Moderator
I have the factory hard bags. So I am thinking just remove the grab rail, use shorter bolts and that would be OK?
I just had the left side off to do some wiring of rear lights. And when I had the bracket for the bags and grab rail off, I was like, this grab rail must be like 10 pounds. Without thinking I put everything back together.

I guess I have to go back and see what it looks like without the grab rail.

MJC

Super Moderator
Thanks everyone. I am going to try and take them off. I did not know they are worth that much. I could use the cash.

If any one on this forum can use them let me know, PM me with offer. I think $80 each is too much. But they have weight to them so shipping maybe on the high side.

casper

I almost took them off, because my saddlebags go over the pillon. In the end I left them on, as to get it up on the centers and I use them as my leverage point.