Who rode today?

Woodswoman

OK, guys and gals -- it was crazy warm in these parts today. Who got out for a ride?

I stayed on 4 wheels today, as my road is still a hot mess of sand and salt. But, boy, it made me wistful to hear all those bike motors out and about.

Sad thing, though: In the city where I work in the Hudson Valley, riders were everywhere -- motoring over streets that the city highway department had brined in anticipation of tomorrow's predicted ice and snow. Back to February's reality. <Sighhhh>

Brunnka_CTX

I got to ride a little on Sunday, but it’s freezing rain last night, this morning and this evening. So, it will be a little while before next time.

Glen e

Did 120 miles today, to jupiter and back for lunch....... interstates still clogged here with snowbirds down for the winter, another 45 days and roads will be fun again.....

Used a new jacket, a tourmaster draft air -series 3 - not as flow thru as i would have liked, a bit hot- compared to my joe rocket/honda jacket

Last edited:

ponydrvr

Didn't ride today due to an all day rain. So Just piddled in the garage and worked on a mod to the bike lift.

ponydrvr

Didn't ride today due to an all day rain. So Just piddled in the garage and worked on a mod to the bike lift. It's supposed to rain through Sunday with total accumulation of 4-6 inches. We got 1"+ today, raining now and all night.

randy1149

Didn't ride... too many pot holes in lower NY. Set the warmest in February since the weather organization began. The temp was 78 degrees, 10 more than previous history.

casper

Discount everyone from CA and the South. Rat b******ds they are for getting out! Lol!

Last edited:

fergy

Got out on Tuesday and it was great! Did only about 75 miles but it was nice to get back in the saddle again. Gave the C a good wash afterwards and lubed the chain.

Woodswoman

A fresh 2 inches of snow yesterday, and freezing rain today. Yep, it's still February in the Catskills.

Sighhhhh....

But the days are definitely getting longer.

ponydrvr

And we in Louisville got another 2" of rain today. Someone translate that to snowfall equivalent? The Ohio River is causing major flood damage here but others along the way have even bigger flood issue than we here. More rain expected tomorrow, so far we are at a solid 6" from this storm. The oly good thing is that it has been steady but not hard at any time but once.

casper

In rough terms, pony that's about 16-20 inches of snow!We got 6" in Friday , and another 6-8 tonight into tomorrow. Sigh.... But the data are getting longer.

Still cold here, but Thursday is March 1.......and like the dog said when the train ran over his tail.........it won't be long now..:rolleyes:

mtvic

Going tomorrow. 84 and sunny. Setting records. Hit 89 this week. At this rate in 10 years it will be 98 in Feb. Of course Daytona Bike Week is around the corner...

12MANY

Went for a short ride to Barneys on Gandy Blvd just to pick up a gallon jug of 10-40 oil for next years oil change and to Cycle Gear to see if they had a HJC RPHA70ST in stock to try on and it turned into a 60 mile ride due to the excellent weather. After taxes the oil was 25.63 out the door which was a lot more than I paid last year but they did have a2018 manual shift gold-wing to check out. Been having close to record high temps in Florida for the last couple weeks and have just harvested the last of my 5 lbs a head cabbage and 11 inch round broccoli and cauliflower which was a record for me and just planted the summer crop of tomatoes and banana peppers and they are taking off like weeds. Feels like we only had a couple weeks of winter and like flicking a light switch went back to summer. I hate to say it but I can only ride on the weekends and sometimes I skip a day if I think it is just too windy!!!:eek:

ponydrvr

Think I'll sell the CTX and buy a boat! There is another 2+ inches on the way tonight and tomorrow. So far today we've gotten 3 1/4 " today. Lots of flooding but we're still dry. Although, I do have a fast running river of water in the street out front. I'm still 5 feet above the water and the sump pump still working OT.

Woodswoman

Think I'll sell the CTX and buy a boat! There is another 2+ inches on the way tonight and tomorrow. So far today we've gotten 3 1/4 " today. Lots of flooding but we're still dry. Although, I do have a fast running river of water in the street out front. I'm still 5 feet above the water and the sump pump still working OT.

Holy hat, Pony ... you be careful down there, OK? That kinda running water is dangerous.

And may your sump pump continue to git 'er done.

Here in the Catskills, at 2,100 feet above sea level, we've got freezing rain today. The tree branches, the yard, my porch, the driveway: All coated with ice. Was gonna go grocery shopping, but that plan has been shelved. Not going anywhere 'til it warms up this afternoon.

<Sighhhh!> February is just a pain.

Last edited:

ponydrvr

It looks like the rain is over for a couple of days in Louisville. Total rainfall at my house for this storm is just over 10 inches. Went to the grocery this morning and there was gravel and trash everywhere. Our local sewer district is pumping 1.5 mm gallons per minute of water out of the Louisville basin. Our flood walls seem to be holding and all floodgates will be installed before midnight today. Then another rain event starting on Wednesday. I sure hope we don't have drought conditions this summer and so glad the precipitation was all rain and no snow.

We got 14 inches of snow last night...that puts our season total to over 100 inches. Nearly over though.

My wife and I are driving down to Hilton Head S.C. for a two week vacation on March 10. When we get back, the Cycle shop will have the "silver bullet" inspected and ready to be picked up from her winter hibernation!!!!:cool:

Hurry spring.

Last edited:

Woodswoman

On Thursday, when I got home from work, the ground was totally bare, and it was 45 degrees.

Yesterday we got 2 feet of snow. Our plow driver got stuck for 20 minutes in our driveway. The power has been out for 24 hours now. <sigh>

On the bright side, we saw our first robin of the year this morning! Admittedly, it was scratching for something to eat in a small bare patch of earth laid bare by the exhaust from our house generator, but ....

rickster

I did a ride from my home in the Sierra foothills down to Sacramento and took the Garden Highway which follows the Sacramento River. This is my favorite time of year along the river. The adjacent farmland is green and the leafless oak trees allow for great views of the river as it makes it's way out to San Francisco Bay. We've had some welcome rain and much needed snow in the mountains and a recent storm has just pushed east leaving clear skies with views of our snow-capped mountains. It was a really pretty ride. I was in no hurry and enjoyed myself as I put the bike and myself into cruise mode. My allergies tell me that spring is near and that the mountain snow that makes moto travel impossible (for me anyway) will soon melt from the Sierra roadways and I'll be able to do my favorite rides around Lake Tahoe and the high country. I put a new top case on my bike, a Bestem 929. It's not as jazzy looking as the red one I had, but I needed a bit more room for when Mrs. Rickster and I hit the road together while on our spring tours.

IMG_0025.jpg

Edit: The river is directly behind me. Lake Tahoe is nestled among the mountains in the photo.

Last edited: