Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I practically live on an island with water on three sides of me in one of the most populated “people per sq mile” county's in Florida so most of my time is spent cruising the beaches at 35 to 45 MPH in stop and go traffic. There are no hills to power up and no twisty turns to scrape the pegs. There is no thrill in shifting from 0 to 45 over and over and over so the DCT is the perfect bike for my riding location. It’s more comfortable and gets better fuel economy than any scooter close to its size and when I get fed up with the beach traffic I can head over to US 19 or the interstate and cruise home comfortably at 65 MPH and over. The bikes versatility for my location is unmatched. Picked the right tool for the job at hand.
    CTX700ND DCT/ABS

2. Likes Woodswoman liked this post
    It's not a scooter! According to Honda it's a Tour bike. Sometime we need to meet up. Several of us up North of Tampa, one from the other forum. We have no issues riding down or meet up somewhere. Busy Feb. for me maybe early March?
    2014 CTX 700 dct
    2016 NM4

Quote Originally Posted by ponydrvr View Post
    Sorry for the confusion. Yes I do paddle down for engine braking. And it works. I have often gone down two gears and even three gears and almost always in S mode. I look for more engine braking when riding twisties - not in normal driving scenarios. I probably push the limits a bit to close when I get into the Smokies and some even around here. I have found engine braking to be better than rear braking in hairpins and tight decreasing radius turns. If the engine could somehow produce a higher resistance when the throttle is off is what I am looking for. It's just the way I ride.
    I guess I was far less confused than I thought, and it certainly makes good sense in the best of environments you'd want the best entry speed into each turn with the least amount time backing down.

Northern Catskill Mountains, upstate New York
    Quote Originally Posted by MJC
    The sad part about the DCT is people who just do not get it. It is not a beginner/novice thing (but can be), it is a performance up grade in the clutch/shifting area.
    Bingo! You hit the nail on the head!

Quote Originally Posted by MJC
    To get the most out of the DCT, you have to know, how to ride a manual, real good, then add the DCT and now you have true performance.
    Totally agree with this, too.

I learned to ride on scooters, then shifted (tee hee) to manual tranny bikes. Now I've got the DCT, and it seems to me like darned near the best of both worlds. The only thing I really miss about manual is being able to feather the clutch for low speed control. I can get pretty much the same effect by modulating the throttle and riding the rear brake. This technique is helpful, but not as good, IMHO. Or at least I haven't gotten it down pat.

P.S. My husband's 2014 Subaru Outback has paddle shifters. You betcha I use 'em when I'm behind the wheel, especially in the twisties!
    2014 Honda CTX700ND, "Flicker"
    ------------------------------------------------
    Former rides
    Cruisers: Victory Cross Roads, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, Suzuki Boulevard C50, Suzuki Marauder 800
    Scooters: Suzuki Burgman 650, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Elite 80

While doing blue ridge parkway earlier (Oct 2017) I found I was more comfortable in "S" and setting in 2/3/4 while doing all those switchbacks for hours on end...but on open highway...."D" is for me...

Danny

7. Likes casper, Woodswoman liked this post
    Me too Danny. That's the way I roll as well.

Northern Catskill Mountains, upstate New York
    Same here, when I get involved with twisties or hill-climbing.

When I vacationed in West Virginia a few years ago, I spent days on end running the curves in S mode. D was saved for the interstate going to and from Elkins.
    2014 Honda CTX700ND, "Flicker"
    ------------------------------------------------
    Former rides
    Cruisers: Victory Cross Roads, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, Suzuki Boulevard C50, Suzuki Marauder 800
    Scooters: Suzuki Burgman 650, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Elite 80