top box/case mounting

MJC

Super Moderator
I have had two top cases mounted on the factory rack on my ctx700. Both the 1st one (which was a smaller one) and now my big (24 x 18 x 14) case, I mounted on the rack as far forward as I could and still get the seat off. My thinking was, my seat has a backrest (with a smaller bag attached to it) and I am not going to have a passenger, so for better handling I would mount the case as far forward to keep the weight of it close to the rear axle.

Now I am thinking of taking some long trips and want to bring a long my (kuryakum Full Dresser) pack, which (on other bikes) I had on the rear seat. And a smaller bag that was on a rack on top of my top case on that same bike.

So my question is, Does mounting a top case on the factory rack, (more back then I mounded it) have any handling changes to the ride of the ctx700.

From the back seat edge to my top case is even, no space, in looking at what other people have done I have seen up to 3" in space.

Has anyone installed a rack on there top case? If so how has that changed the ride of the bike, if any?

Has anyone done both, used a big pack on the passenger seat, installed a top case with lug rack and put a bag on top of it? How is the ride?

Thanks for your input,
mj

randy1149

MJC, to answer your question, I have a Besteem 929 46 liter which is 2" less around than yours. It's mounted on the Honda factory rack. I have no noticeable changes to the ride or handling of the bike. I can't help you with the luggage rack on the box. A pix can be found on the Gallery

Last edited:

Woodswoman

MJC, I have 2 Shad top boxes -- a 40-liter and a 46-liter -- which fit on the same mounting base. I interchange the boxes depending on how much storage space I need.

I've loaded up the 46-liter box repeatedly for long trips, and never once noticed any difference in handling. Of course, I always follow the common-sense rule of putting the heaviest items I carry, like tools, tire compressor, etc., low down on the bike -- namely in my saddlebags.

Although Shad offers a top rack that will fit my 46-liter box, I haven't gone for it. At the moment, I'm thinking I may try adding these 'bungee buddies' tie-down loops instead:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/bungie-buddies

That way, I could put a dry bag with light things (rain gear, bike cover) on top of my trunk box, instead of across my passenger seat. But that's just something I'm toying with at the moment.

Hope this helps.

MJC

Super Moderator
IN my Stock side bags, on the kickstand side I have things I may need face shield, warmer gear, rain gear, 1st aid kit, some tools etc, On the other side I have smaller 1st aid kit with meds (I may have to take that day) ID, Insure/reg cards, reg riding jacket, vest, cane. So if I am wearing these items I have a place to storage them when I get off the bike.

I have bungee buddies, and plan to install them on top of my side bags, this way I can hold down the big pack. I do like the way they look (bungee buddies) and are a great deal for the price.

On the top case (bigger one) I am going to install a rack (it is black, very lite, looks like the same design has the ones you see on full dresser HD's top case). I did not want to put the bungee buddies on the top of the case, just me but I do not want to place things right on top of the case, prefer to use a rack.

So how much space do you (woodswoman randy) have from the back of your seats to your top case? The back of my top case base mount and back of my rack are even, leaving no space from the seat to the top case. Just trying to get a feel of where your top cases are mounted.

Woodswoman

MJC, maybe this photo will help. Not the best, but should give you an idea. I didn't fuss at all about location; this is just how the top case ended up after I placed the mounting bracket in what seemed like the optimal position.

MJC

Super Moderator
Thank you, Photos always seem to help me better understand what I am looking for. Looks like you have about 3" of space. From seeing yours and Randys I think both of your bikes, there would be good amount of room for a passenger. That is basically what I wanted to know.

Now that I confused everyone, lol.
mj

rickster

The CTX is so darn stable that I have yet to put anything on it that was even noticeable to me in terms of handling. I've put sidecases on it, put a big bag on it behind me, I've put a top case on it and then put a rack on the top case with two different bags. I've loaded all of the cases for tours in a variety of ways. It just doesn't seem to be a big whooop. When I tour, I usually have my wife behind me along with all of that other stuff. With the exception of having to shift down on the steeper, longer grades in our mountains and a little more push on very windy days I'd probably forget she was back there. I really don't understand it. This isn't a big heavy tourer. I get that the low center of gravity is helpful here, but I just didn't expect so little difference.
Here's a pic of the bike with the top box and rack. The box is a Bestem 2012 and is set 1.75 inches back from the seat. I placed it there so that the top box backrest would be comfortable for my wife.

BTW, I have no fear of placing my big bag on the top box rack while I am two up. But the Bestem, while a good box, does have some flex that causes me a bit of concern when the big bag is subjected to winds at highway speed. While my wife is in front of the top box blocking the wind (she'll kill me if I write that she's back there breaking wind! ) it's not an issue. I also have a smaller, flatter bag that still holds five liters which is secure whether or not I'm two-up.

EDIT: The large bag that goes on the top box luggage rack is a Saddlemen R1300 Deluxe Roll Bag that carries 1300 cubic inches / 21 liters. The small bag is a cordura bag that came with a luggage set that I purchased years ago.

IMG_0025.jpg

Last edited:

MJC

Super Moderator
Thanks rickster, Hearing that, gives me pace of mind. My planned trip includes roller coaster roads and I would hate to have to a re-route because of the bikes handling.

I was looking around here and found a bike loaded up, except for the sleeping bag, my bike will look something like this one:
Loaded up for a week of solo camping.jpg
This is not my bike, I forgot to write down who it belongs too, sorry.
I plan on using a bag about 1/3 the size of the one on the rear top case, and a bag about the same as shown here on the rear seat, less the lower sleeping bag.

Last edited:

ponydrvr

As Woodswoman said, keep the heavy weight items down low and pack lighter weight items up higher. I rode a long, long way over many days and had no handling issues on any kind of road. By keeping the heavy items low balance is much less of an issue. It probably didn't hurt that I am 265 lbs+.

MJC

Super Moderator
Thanks guys.
ponydrvr, "...probably didn't hurt that I am 265 lbs +.." I hope not I am right there with ya.

burdicda, Your set up is close to how I would load up my bike. I even have the same set up, up front, Radio, GPS, etc.
What kind of windshield is that, is there more angle (more straight up, away from the rider)? I was thinking about making something like that, where there is a metal part, then the windshield is mounted off of it, Is that how yours works? Maybe I could just buy the metal parts and make my own windshield? What do you think.

Thanks everyone for answering/posting, you all gave me one less thing to think about on my up coming trips!
mj

casper

Fwiw. I have a barrel bag that I have on the tail rack. I zip ties a 1/2" plywood board to the rack. The barrel sits on that. Made it long enough to support the entire bag. Don't even notice it's there in handling. Last summer I carried my duffel back there, that included 7 bottles of wine I'd gotten from visiting a few wineries. No difference in handling. Less than two up for sure.

pipster326

Can someone help me? I just ordered a rear carrier and backrest for my Ctx700n. It said it came with all hardware to assemble and mount. Of course it didn’t!! It didn’t come with the spacers and bolts to mount to the inner supports. I emailed the company and haven’t gotten an answer. Does anyone have any to sell or know where I can get them? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spirit 4

I have a Givi E450 Top Box I purchased from Revzilla for $175. It came with a universal mounting plate that fit perfectly on the OEM rear deck! I put a picture in my gallery area "Spirit 4"

JImmt H.

12MANY

Can someone help me? I just ordered a rear carrier and backrest for my Ctx700n. It said it came with all hardware to assemble and mount. Of course it didn’t!! It didn’t come with the spacers and bolts to mount to the inner supports. I emailed the company and haven’t gotten an answer. Does anyone have any to sell or know where I can get them? Thanks

The hardware comes with Honda OEM part # 08R71-MJF-A00ZP Backrest Bracket. Unfortunately they don’t individually number the bolts and collars to order them separately. I would at least try the dealer and ask if you can get replacement installation hardware for part #08R71-MJF-A00ZP just to eliminate that as a option. If not the bolts should be easy to source. 8mm flange bolts are pretty common and the bike shop may be able to match them up or Google bolt and screw dealers in your area like Fastenal. The spacers are a different story. They are listed as Collar ( thick) 2 Collar (thin) 2 with no Collar ID so far as dimensions. It takes one tall one or thick in the front and short thin in back. This compensates for the downward slope of the frame and sets the rear carrier level. At 0.20 of the video you can see what the spacers and flange bolts look like. The A model with the grab handles does list part numbers for the collars used in that setup although they list the same part number for the front and back. I have a N model and have never seen what they look like but I would think they are at least the same diameter if not height. Maybe you could use those and add some height to them with washers to get the correct angle. Good luck I hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbPHlxMfZMs

http://powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08R71-MJF-A00ZP.pdf

pipster326

I just installed the inner supports last week. I need the sleeves (spacers) and the bolts that mount the rear carrier and backrest to the inner supports. Do you know what size the bolts? Or where I should look for them and the little sleeves? Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randy1149

I just installed the inner supports last week. I need the sleeves (spacers) and the bolts that mount the rear carrier and backrest to the inner supports. Do you know what size the bolts? Or where I should look for them and the little sleeves? Thanks guys

Go here to Honda accessories, LINK. Click on any of the accessories and a little window will pop us where you can down load the installation PDF file, they have all the information you are looking for.

Last edited:

pipster326

Thanks for the suggestions,guys.The company that I bought it from is trying to see if they can help,for not selling it with all the hardware needed to mount it. I went to Home Depot this morning and bought a few things,so I think I might be able to get it mounted.