Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Northern Catskill Mountains, upstate New York

Let's see your large saddlebags

A couple of bikes ago, I had LeatherLyke saddlebags, which I thought were excellent. They became the yardstick by which I measure all hard saddlebags.

Then -- ah, me! -- for 4 years I had a Victory Cross Roads. Absolutely ginormous integrated hard bags. I could take the old liner bags from my LeatherLykes, stuff 'em full, and they'd drop right into the Victory bags with room to spare.

When I got the CTX700, I tried to find a set of LeatherLykes with a back flat enough to work with the JFC brackets, but no luck. So I acquired these EDGE bags instead, and as you can see from the photo below, they're pretty good-looking. Plus they are sturdy, weather-proof, and locking.

What's not to like, right? Well, they look a heckuva lot bigger than they are. Their sturdiness is due to a substantial tubular metal frame on the inside. I have to under-fill my LeatherLyke liners by about 20%, then lean on them to load them into the EDGE bags.

This being the time of year for day-dreaming, and hubby and I toying with the idea of a 2-week road trip in the spring, I'm thinking about investing in different bags. Leaning in the direction of Pelican or similar cases, but not sure how big I could, or should, go -- or whether I'd be happy with the look.

Another candidate are Tsuyaku Strong bags, which are fiberglass.

Got any photographs of your large saddlebags to share? I'd love to see 'em.
    2014 Honda CTX700ND, "Flicker"
    ------------------------------------------------
    Former rides
    Cruisers: Victory Cross Roads, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, Suzuki Boulevard C50, Suzuki Marauder 800
    Scooters: Suzuki Burgman 650, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Elite 80

2. Thanks kujawskir thanked for this post
    Mine are stock, so pics are everywhere, space is limited, and I'm interested too in what we can do before we break down and add a trailer.
    You got some minimal size info from your LeatherLykes? How many liters did you call enough?
    I know you did some travelling, was that liter value for 1-up or 2?

Kujawskir, the LeatherLykes held around 25 liters each, give or take.

That was 1-up. My husband and I each ride our own.

I'm a bit of a hog for packing space, I admit it.
    Former rides
    Cruisers: Victory Cross Roads, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, Suzuki Boulevard C50, Suzuki Marauder 800

5. Likes kujawskir liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodswoman View Post
    Kujawskir, the LeatherLykes held around 25 liters each, give or take.

That was 1-up. My husband and I each ride our own.

I'm a bit of a hog for packing space, I admit it.
    These are the ones I'm using. They only hold about 13 liters....too small for your needs. Quality is good though.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/903-643
    Professor

Current ride: 2015 Honda CTX700N DCT ABS

7. Thanks Woodswoman thanked for this post
    Likes kujawskir liked this post
    Like I said in another thread, take a look at all the bags on caseclub.com. … You literally can get any size you want :any depth, any width, any height…And much cheaper than “motorcycle” saddlebags, due to economies of scale......

http://www.caseclub.com/indestructible-cases.htm
    Glen
    2016 CTX DCT
    2015 PCX 150
    2018 HR-V

9. Thanks kujawskir thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
    Like I said in another thread, take a look at all the bags on caseclub.com. … You literally can get any size you want :any depth, any width, any height…And much cheaper than “motorcycle” saddlebags, due to economies of scale......

http://www.caseclub.com/indestructible-cases.htm
    Thanks to your tip, Glen, I've been knocking around that site for the last hour or so. The variety is *bewildering*. That's one of the reasons why I was hoping for some photos.

I'm wondering how much space one can/should allow above the muffler. (I've stuck with the OEM "beer can.") And whether it looks very odd if the top of the case is level with the rear seat, as opposed to below it.
    Former rides

I agree, I actually bought a set of bags from them, decided to mount up, and didn’t like the size, returned them and got the set that I have now. use this as a reference. Here’s a picture of what I got where it fits and then you can look at the sizing of it and decide whether you need to go up or down. Also take note of the latches, because many of them are different. They also have really good tech-support, the two people I worked with on the phone were excellent. The great thing about JFCs bracket is you drill the face of it, and can decide whether you’re going to want to go high or low. I think level with the rear handholds looks correct. I don’t think you need to go above the exhaust more than an inch or two, just remember if you get huge bags , it will be difficult to do a chain adjustment.
    This is the bag in the picture :
    http://www.caseclub.com/CC130963ISK.htm
    Glen
    2016 CTX DCT
    2015 PCX 150
    2018 HR-V

12. Thanks Woodswoman thanked for this post
    Actually woodswoman, if you have even about an inch above the can you're good. I've held my hand above the muffler and the C's heat shield is really quite good. They usually put a better bottom on the bags for that reason.

Love it. That will be my next one.

These are Viking bags. I prefer top loading, for my needs. Sadly, they are not 100% waterproof, but close enough. This picture makes them look bigger than they are.

Name:  Highway pegs 3 small.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  99.9 KB

16. Likes DaddyDave liked this post