Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  23
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What you going to do in 2018?

I thought I start: What you going to do in 2018? So we can look back in 19 and see for fun what we did.

IN 2018 I plan on doing more longer rides/trips, getting the ctx ready, ordering some dry bags, etc. I need to work on me and getting in shape. Plan out routes to start small and work up to a longer trip at the end of Summer/fall.

Details soon, waiting for snow to stop and I can check out the Honda bags to see what size and shape gas can to bring. New boots ordered, and bag for back seat. Was thinking of a rack for the top of rear case. Anyone know of a rack to put on top of my top case? Guess I would have to post a photo of my top case (because I forgot which one I have)...like I said snow outside so Photo soon.....

What are you planing?????????????

2. Likes DaddyDave liked this post
    My 2018 planning started in October last year. I have identified goals, and destinations. Planning the maintenance needed to support the riding season and planning when I will do mid-season maintenance. Right now the plan is for nearly 20,000 miles, it may grow to 30,000+ if I can work in another Four Corners Tour plus a bunch of local 2-400 mile rides.

Northern Catskill Mountains, upstate New York
    My husband says he owes me, because in 2017 our "big vacation" was what he wanted to do.

I've wanted for several years now to take a long road trip, just the two of us. He's done a couple of road trips with buddies (how nice to be retired!), and in 2015 we took a road trip with another couple. But we haven't gone any distance together on our bikes, just the 2 of us, for more than a dozen years now. And life is short, y'know?

I've proposed the Smokeys, so we could hit the classics like the Tail of the Dragon, the Cherohala Skyway, and the Blue Ridge Parkway (all of which he has done, but I haven't).

He countered with heading out to Ohio to try the "Windy 9."

To be continued!
    2014 Honda CTX700ND, "Flicker"
    ------------------------------------------------
    Former rides
    Cruisers: Victory Cross Roads, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, Suzuki Boulevard C50, Suzuki Marauder 800
    Scooters: Suzuki Burgman 650, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Elite 80

5. Thanks kujawskir thanked for this post
    Likes DaddyDave liked this post
    I'm just going to ride to work and back as much as I can. With a little kid in the house riding for pleasure is a rare occurrence.

I hope to have one of those high mileage bikes close to 100k.

7. Likes DaddyDave, kujawskir liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodswoman View Post

He countered with heading out to Ohio to try the "Windy 9."

To be continued!
    Thanks, we're hoping to try for our first ever medium/long trip soon as the weather respects the lady. Mom and Dad are in Toledo and we have increased visits to them last year, definitely intend to keep that up too. Never heard of the "Windy 9." but I'll look into it as it could help us do both goals.
    Yeah, we've been on the CTX together for over 3 hours a few times, and through several different mountain passes. All near here and ending back home or 20 minutes away for dinner.

9. Likes DaddyDave liked this post
    Here's the web site for the Windy (pronounced Wine-dee) Nine.

http://athensohio.com/category/where...ohios-windy-9/

I heard about it via some advertising in RoadRunner magazine. Looks intriguing: You base in one location (Athens, Ohio), then take advantage of the recommended loop rides. You can get a free map, and you can download free route files to pop into your GPS device.

My rider group went to this part of Ohio 2 years ago, expressly to ride the Triple Nickel (Ohio Route 555). I couldn't make it. Everyone said the riding was indeed very fine.
    Former rides
    Cruisers: Victory Cross Roads, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, Suzuki Boulevard C50, Suzuki Marauder 800

11. Likes DaddyDave liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodswoman View Post
    Here's the web site for the Windy (pronounced Wine-dee) Nine.

http://athensohio.com/category/where...ohios-windy-9/

I heard about it via some advertising in RoadRunner magazine. Looks intriguing: You base in one location (Athens, Ohio), then take advantage of the recommended loop rides. You can get a free map, and you can download free route files to pop into your GPS device.

My rider group went to this part of Ohio 2 years ago, expressly to ride the Triple Nickel (Ohio Route 555). I couldn't make it. Everyone said the riding was indeed very fine.
    We normally go a single shot 6 hour 15 minutes plus stops on mostly boring Tollway. 7-ish hours, one meal on the road, really need to stretch and relax after arrival.
    The Triple Nickel is more like 10 hours plus stops. Three hours through beautiful WV rolling mountains on I 68. Just got back from that in the van. It may not be level 4 curves through two lane canyons, but it is beautiful and captivating. It should be a fun relaxing ride. Then OH Route 50 to 555 wiggling for many hours through countryside, maybe a B&B somewhere in the middle. We should arrive fresh at Toledo with lots to talk about!

Now, to get her stoked up for it. She won't (yet) pilot a separate bike, so it's both of us and all luggage on one bike or van.

First a couple two hour trips to over-nighters with Grand-kids, packing compromises, schedule adjustments, etc, find what works for us. Then it could help if we happened to fall in behind a couple NY bikes already headed that way.

Or, like you said, maybe trailer the bike to Athens, OH for the ride and then on to Toledo afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDave View Post
    Let us know when. I'll be in Sandusky (just East of Toledo) in either June or October, so if we can meet up, I'll buy the coffee.
    Great, thanks! Isn't that last rest area between Sandusky and Toledo the one where they give out free coffee after 8:00pm?

First, I'm hoping to survive the winter. It's pretty severe right now. In Spring, I plan to get my bike out of storage, add my stack of mods, and then do as much riding as I can. No plans for long tours, my rides will be 100 miles or less.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Professor*76; 01-05-2018 at 10:08 AM.
    Professor

Current ride: 2015 Honda CTX700N DCT ABS

I love the N model in silver. Wish it had been offered the year I got mine! Looking sharp, prof.
    Former rides

16. Likes DaddyDave liked this post