What you going to do in 2018?

MJC

Super Moderator
I thought I start: What you going to do in 2018? So we can look back in 19 and see for fun what we did.

IN 2018 I plan on doing more longer rides/trips, getting the ctx ready, ordering some dry bags, etc. I need to work on me and getting in shape. Plan out routes to start small and work up to a longer trip at the end of Summer/fall.

Details soon, waiting for snow to stop and I can check out the Honda bags to see what size and shape gas can to bring. New boots ordered, and bag for back seat. Was thinking of a rack for the top of rear case. Anyone know of a rack to put on top of my top case? Guess I would have to post a photo of my top case (because I forgot which one I have)...like I said snow outside so Photo soon.....

What are you planing?????????????

ponydrvr

My 2018 planning started in October last year. I have identified goals, and destinations. Planning the maintenance needed to support the riding season and planning when I will do mid-season maintenance. Right now the plan is for nearly 20,000 miles, it may grow to 30,000+ if I can work in another Four Corners Tour plus a bunch of local 2-400 mile rides.

Woodswoman

My husband says he owes me, because in 2017 our "big vacation" was what he wanted to do.

I've wanted for several years now to take a long road trip, just the two of us. He's done a couple of road trips with buddies (how nice to be retired!), and in 2015 we took a road trip with another couple. But we haven't gone any distance together on our bikes, just the 2 of us, for more than a dozen years now. And life is short, y'know?

I've proposed the Smokeys, so we could hit the classics like the Tail of the Dragon, the Cherohala Skyway, and the Blue Ridge Parkway (all of which he has done, but I haven't).

He countered with heading out to Ohio to try the "Windy 9."

To be continued!

I'm just going to ride to work and back as much as I can. With a little kid in the house riding for pleasure is a rare occurrence.

I hope to have one of those high mileage bikes close to 100k.

kujawskir

He countered with heading out to Ohio to try the "Windy 9."

To be continued!

Thanks, we're hoping to try for our first ever medium/long trip soon as the weather respects the lady. Mom and Dad are in Toledo and we have increased visits to them last year, definitely intend to keep that up too. Never heard of the "Windy 9." but I'll look into it as it could help us do both goals.
Yeah, we've been on the CTX together for over 3 hours a few times, and through several different mountain passes. All near here and ending back home or 20 minutes away for dinner.

Woodswoman

Here's the web site for the Windy (pronounced Wine-dee) Nine.

http://athensohio.com/category/wheretoplay/ohios-windy-9/

I heard about it via some advertising in RoadRunner magazine. Looks intriguing: You base in one location (Athens, Ohio), then take advantage of the recommended loop rides. You can get a free map, and you can download free route files to pop into your GPS device.

My rider group went to this part of Ohio 2 years ago, expressly to ride the Triple Nickel (Ohio Route 555). I couldn't make it. Everyone said the riding was indeed very fine.

kujawskir

Here's the web site for the Windy (pronounced Wine-dee) Nine.

http://athensohio.com/category/wheretoplay/ohios-windy-9/

I heard about it via some advertising in RoadRunner magazine. Looks intriguing: You base in one location (Athens, Ohio), then take advantage of the recommended loop rides. You can get a free map, and you can download free route files to pop into your GPS device.

My rider group went to this part of Ohio 2 years ago, expressly to ride the Triple Nickel (Ohio Route 555). I couldn't make it. Everyone said the riding was indeed very fine.

We normally go a single shot 6 hour 15 minutes plus stops on mostly boring Tollway. 7-ish hours, one meal on the road, really need to stretch and relax after arrival.
The Triple Nickel is more like 10 hours plus stops. Three hours through beautiful WV rolling mountains on I 68. Just got back from that in the van. It may not be level 4 curves through two lane canyons, but it is beautiful and captivating. It should be a fun relaxing ride. Then OH Route 50 to 555 wiggling for many hours through countryside, maybe a B&B somewhere in the middle. We should arrive fresh at Toledo with lots to talk about!

Now, to get her stoked up for it. She won't (yet) pilot a separate bike, so it's both of us and all luggage on one bike or van. :cool:

First a couple two hour trips to over-nighters with Grand-kids, packing compromises, schedule adjustments, etc, find what works for us. Then it could help if we happened to fall in behind a couple NY bikes already headed that way.

Or, like you said, maybe trailer the bike to Athens, OH for the ride and then on to Toledo afterward.

kujawskir

Let us know when. I'll be in Sandusky (just East of Toledo) in either June or October, so if we can meet up, I'll buy the coffee.

Great, thanks! Isn't that last rest area between Sandusky and Toledo the one where they give out free coffee after 8:00pm?

First, I'm hoping to survive the winter. It's pretty severe right now. In Spring, I plan to get my bike out of storage, add my stack of mods, and then do as much riding as I can. No plans for long tours, my rides will be 100 miles or less.

Last edited:

rickster

In addition to my normal haunts nearby I'm planning on two medium distance trips. One of them depends on CalTrans completing work on the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH-Highway 1) so that I can ride between San Francisco and Ventura without deviation. It looks like the roadwork, which now has the PCH closed won't be finished until late summer. I'm planning on riding from the Sacramento area to S.F., then down the coast to Monterey, Santa Barbara and into Ventura. From there, I'll head east to the desert going through Mojave and then home on Hwy 395 going through Lone Pine, Bishop and Mammoth Lakes before taking one of the mountain passes near Lake Tahoe back over the Sierra to the Sacramento Valley. That'll be 1200 miles. The other trip will take us up into Oregon for a trip to Crater Lake. Then it will be up to the Washington State border for a cruise along the lovely Hood River before heading through Portland and out to the Oregon Coast. That trip is also around 1200 miles. Both trips will be done two up with my wife.
We had such a good time visiting Virginia City last year that we'll repeat it this year. Same for our tours of Lassen Park and the tour we did of the Redwoods and northern California coast. These tours are so darned beautiful that they just keep calling me back.

Shanghai Dan

Getting a new Goldwing Tour and going to do some LONG trips... Keeping the CTX however, for a buddy who rides but currently - because of his housing situation - does not have a bike. And yes, the new GW will be a DCT model... ;)

BobWitte

Mutazu has a rack that will fit most top cases. Order directly from their website.

It can be a bit difficult to install since it is a cheap Chinese knock off of the OEM. However drilling out the holes with the next size up drill (or "reaming" them out as I did) and leaving the four upper assembly bolts loose until the four lower assembly bolts are screwed down secure will go a long way to ease the pain.

casper

On the bike I'm putting spot driving lamps in. Otherwise, mods to this bike are just about done.

Personally, I'm going to retire June 1st. Then I'm riding out to see Custer battlefield. Nothing there really but a long ride. Maybe a couple of buddies will go with me. If not, OK. I'm still going.

Point is when I was I grade school in NY, and heard the story, I just couldn't imagine the emptiness those soldiers found themselves in I just always, all my life, wanted to experience that feeling of being so screwed. Next year, one never knows, health may turn south. Who knows. So I decided to do this right away. Why not, with what I know? Can't control what I don't. Also, I'd really like to lap Kentucky with pony et al. I love lapping states.

I've got a good gig. My wife is working with me on this. We've got two dogs we have to deal with. And it's not fair for her to deal with all of this when I have my freer time. So we're making it work. I'll take so far a week or so at a time. I think that will work. Hope so because I'm doing it. I'd rather be south for 3 or 4 months, but that isn't going to happen. :)

rickster

DaddyDave: I'll do my best to get the light to cooperate in my attempts at photographing our tours. Funny thing, but it seems the light is always better on my wife than on me!

Shanghai Dan: I'm kind of with DaddyDave on the Goldwing but for different reasons. I drool over the new GW daily. What I find so attractive is the comfort for my passenger and the extra power when riding two-up. But, the added bulk of the GW for a rider like me is quite intimidating.

My CTX does duty as my daily ride through the twisties in our local mountains, gets me to the store and back and takes my wife and I on adventures that we would not otherwise have. It's a bike that at times requires compromising ones expectations, while being a bike that can get a two-up team through tours in rigorous terrain. The compromises have me continuously looking for the upgrade of my dreams while the capabilities of my CTX700 make me pleased with how it has performed at the end of every tour we have ridden it on.

dyenfd

Planning a larger fuel tank. First step was the removal of the air box and installation of a K & N RC-2400 air filter modified to accommodate the CTX700 air temp sensor and breather. Pics will be forthcoming.
Fred

I'll keep plugging away at my CTX FF conversion in the hopes I might get to ride it at some point this year (I only had the one last year after I bought it and then immobilized it to start fiddling). I've already made some progress this year with some CNC brackets and I've been playing with some CAD models to see where I want to head on the next bits. I got the NC-spec Ohlins on the back and a Matris cartridge conversion in the forks last year so the suspension mods are done.

ponydrvr

My how quickly my plans change. I have been asked to be the support driver for a team of 2018 Scooter Cannon Ball Run riders. They wanted me to ride it but just don't have the desire to do it. Plus I don't have a scooter any more, same friends just no scoot.

The SCBR starts on May 26th in Morro Bay, CA and ends on June 4th in Virginia Beach, VA. It is ~4000 miles and goes through some very scenic vistas, national parks, and several historic points. If you are interested in the route take a peek at their web site http://scootercannonballrun.com/. Scroll down the page to look at the map. The red pins are the daily stops and generally are 350 to 400 miles apart. Some, like Dan, plan a cross country tour and this looks like a good one. I may try to work in a group ride this fall with some folks just for the fun of it. I will definitely have the time and ability to take more than a few pictures.

For our California friends I would like to invite you to come out and send the group out with a big bang. The starting point is located at Main Street and Morro Bay Blvd. in Morro Bay, CA. I don't know when the start time is, but if it as usual, teams will leave in 10 minute spacing starting somewhere around 8:00 AM.

Getting there is going to be a busy week due to a group ride event with the Southeast Gathering Riding Group. We have plans to meet on May 17 -20th in Monteagle, TN. We will have four days to meet in Nashville, TN to assemble the team, supplies, and scooters, get it all loaded in a trailer and be in Morro Bay for a rider team meeting on the 25th of May. It's doable - but a close time schedule.

Oh well, now I can resume my regularly scheduled activities.