Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ctx700 buy Or NOT to buy

I currently ride a Suzuki DR650. I am looking to switch to a street only bike for comfort. I love my DR but there are not a lot of off road opportunities in South East Texas. I test drove a CTX700 this weekend and loved the comfort of the ride. I was headed to the dealer to test ride a gsxs750 (street fighter style) but the CTX caught my eye so I have been reading professional and owner reviews for 2 days. The one review that stuck with me stated that the low rev limit could be an issue when at highway speed and attempting a pass. My DR is no speed demon (tops out around 95 with my big butt) and I'm not looking for one. I have an appointment Tuesday to buy the CTX, but have a case of cold feet.

All that said to ask what are the pros and cons of this bike?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MacMoto View Post
    I currently ride a Suzuki DR650. I am looking to switch to a street only bike for comfort. I love my DR but there are not a lot of off road opportunities in South East Texas. I test drove a CTX700 this weekend and loved the comfort of the ride. I was headed to the dealer to test ride a gsxs750 (street fighter style) but the CTX caught my eye so I have been reading professional and owner reviews for 2 days. The one review that stuck with me stated that the low rev limit could be an issue when at highway speed and attempting a pass. My DR is no speed demon (tops out around 95 with my big butt) and I'm not looking for one. I have an appointment Tuesday to buy the CTX, but have a case of cold feet.

All that said to ask what are the pros and cons of this bike?

I bought my 2014 dct last weekend. Took it on the freeway and was able to overtake semi-trailers at 110kph with ease. I would describe the power as "adequate" but that is all you need at the end of the day. Mpg is great!

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

3. Thanks MacMoto thanked for this post
    Likes MacMoto, Super Sneaky Steve liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by paradave26 View Post
    I bought my 2014 dct last weekend. Took it on the freeway and was able to overtake semi-trailers at 110kph with ease. I would describe the power as "adequate" but that is all you need at the end of the day. Mpg is great!

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    That is on par with my DR'S abilities. The review I read must have been from someone used to tons more horsepower. Thank you for your reply paradave26.

Tons more horsepower
    I sold a brand new off the showroom Harley Roadking classic
    Bought a Goldwing and rode it to death
    Then got rid of those and bought a 2016 CTX700 DCT w/fairing
    Just rode it from Washington DC down through the Blue Ridge Parkway to Cherokee NC then on down to my home
    in Melbourne FL
    When on the super slabs...avg around 80mph
    Got from 68 to 70+ mpg
    Never suffered from lack of power...

I don't know what else you would want to hear....

6. Thanks MacMoto thanked for this post
    Likes MacMoto, Super Sneaky Steve liked this post
    I don't know what that person was talking about the rev limiter at highway speeds? I have no trouble passing at 65 - 70 MPH in 6th and downshifting to 4th or 5th if I need to do it quick... with no rev limiter in the equation. The bike will do over 100 MPH so I don't see where you have to drop so many gears doing 60 that the rev limiter kicks in... if that person has a problem I'm not sure how safe he or she does their passing.

The "short coming" to some of us with the DCT do not like the upshifts to 6th at 38MPH. Going uphill at that speed you need to go down 1 or 2 gears to get the torque back. I either have to use manual or S mode on the DCT to counteract the engines lugging. Other than that I'm happy with the bike... and love the 70 MPGs.

I'd also have to say this is the easiest bike I've ridden to ride with it's low center of gravity.
    Last edited by randy1149; 11-06-2017 at 02:59 AM.

8. Thanks MacMoto thanked for this post
    Likes MacMoto liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by burdicda View Post
    Tons more horsepower
    I sold a brand new off the showroom Harley Roadking classic
    Bought a Goldwing and rode it to death
    Then got rid of those and bought a 2016 CTX700 DCT w/fairing
    Just rode it from Washington DC down through the Blue Ridge Parkway to Cherokee NC then on down to my home
    in Melbourne FL
    When on the super slabs...avg around 80mph
    Got from 68 to 70+ mpg
    Never suffered from lack of power...

I don't know what else you would want to hear....
    Wow. Thanks burdicda. Sounds like an awesome trip.

Quote Originally Posted by randy1149 View Post
    I don't know what that person was talking about the rev limiter at highway speeds? I have no trouble passing at 65 - 70 MPH in 6th and downshifting to 4th or 5th if I need to do it quick... with no rev limiter in the equation. The bike will do over 100 MPH so I don't see where you have to drop so many gears doing 60 that the rev limiter kicks in... if that person has a problem I'm not sure how safe he or she does their passing.

The "short coming" to some of us with the DCT do not like the upshifts to 6th at 38MPH. Going uphill at that speed you need to go down 1 or 2 gears to get the torque back. I either have to use manual or S mode on the DCT to counteract the engines lugging. Other than that I'm happy with the bike... and love the 70 MPGs.

I'd also have to say this is the easiest bike I've ridden to ride with it's low center of gravity.
    Thanks randy1149. How long did you instinctively reach for the clutch after purchasing your bike? I recently bought a Dodge 1500 that comes with a knob for a shifter. I reached for a column shifter for about a month and kept turning up my radio instead of putting it in drive. I'm a creature of habit.

11. Likes DaddyDave liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMoto View Post
    Thanks randy1149. How long did you instinctively reach for the clutch after purchasing your bike? I recently bought a Dodge 1500 that comes with a knob for a shifter. I reached for a column shifter for about a month and kept turning up my radio instead of putting it in drive. I'm a creature of habit.

Well it's arthritis that "motivated" me going to an "automatic" (DCT) tranny. After I got it I never had a problem reaching for a clutch that wasn't there. I had no problem going DCT and after a few weeks I knew I would never go back to manual.

As Honda engineered it I can do more and faster with the DCT than the manual... you can go manual all the time... if you want. Changing gears (up or down) can be done so fast and so smooth and you can do it all with full open throttle that makes it's a very competitive MC considering the engines displacement. At the end of the day I won't ever go back to manual.
    Last edited by randy1149; 11-06-2017 at 05:36 AM.

13. Likes MacMoto liked this post
    The confusion with this rev-limiter thing is that the CTX has half a Honda Fit (auto) engine in it. It is a long stroke engine compared to most other motorcycles out there. Therefore, you won't get the same rev numbers as a traditional bike, but the power is there. Driven in Sport mode, which is the way I always ride, it has more than enough power. I don't race the thing, but I easily keep up with just about everything I ride with, including fast BMWs. Granted, the people I ride with are sane, law biding riders, whose spirited riding is generally within 10-15 MPH of the speed limit.

15. Likes randy1149 liked this post
    When I was shopping for my first cycle right out of the MSF school and I came across an article that zeroed me right in on the Honda CTX line. I had been looking at used bikes in the 250cc range and up and around $3,500. I soon sensed I was actually looking at someone one's training wheels! One ride on the CTX and the hook was set! Here is the article that put me over the top and two weeks later the 2014 CTX700N was in my carport!

http://www.motorcycle.com/events/honda-runs

Jimmy H. AKA Spirit 4