Ctx700 buy Or NOT to buy

MacMoto

I currently ride a Suzuki DR650. I am looking to switch to a street only bike for comfort. I love my DR but there are not a lot of off road opportunities in South East Texas. I test drove a CTX700 this weekend and loved the comfort of the ride. I was headed to the dealer to test ride a gsxs750 (street fighter style) but the CTX caught my eye so I have been reading professional and owner reviews for 2 days. The one review that stuck with me stated that the low rev limit could be an issue when at highway speed and attempting a pass. My DR is no speed demon (tops out around 95 with my big butt) and I'm not looking for one. I have an appointment Tuesday to buy the CTX, but have a case of cold feet.

All that said to ask what are the pros and cons of this bike?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

paradave26

I currently ride a Suzuki DR650. I am looking to switch to a street only bike for comfort. I love my DR but there are not a lot of off road opportunities in South East Texas. I test drove a CTX700 this weekend and loved the comfort of the ride. I was headed to the dealer to test ride a gsxs750 (street fighter style) but the CTX caught my eye so I have been reading professional and owner reviews for 2 days. The one review that stuck with me stated that the low rev limit could be an issue when at highway speed and attempting a pass. My DR is no speed demon (tops out around 95 with my big butt) and I'm not looking for one. I have an appointment Tuesday to buy the CTX, but have a case of cold feet.

I bought my 2014 dct last weekend. Took it on the freeway and was able to overtake semi-trailers at 110kph with ease. I would describe the power as "adequate" but that is all you need at the end of the day. Mpg is great!

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

MacMoto

I bought my 2014 dct last weekend. Took it on the freeway and was able to overtake semi-trailers at 110kph with ease. I would describe the power as "adequate" but that is all you need at the end of the day. Mpg is great!

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
That is on par with my DR'S abilities. The review I read must have been from someone used to tons more horsepower. Thank you for your reply paradave26.

burdicda

Tons more horsepower
I sold a brand new off the showroom Harley Roadking classic
Bought a Goldwing and rode it to death
Then got rid of those and bought a 2016 CTX700 DCT w/fairing
Just rode it from Washington DC down through the Blue Ridge Parkway to Cherokee NC then on down to my home
in Melbourne FL
When on the super slabs...avg around 80mph
Got from 68 to 70+ mpg
Never suffered from lack of power...

I don't know what else you would want to hear....

randy1149

I don't know what that person was talking about the rev limiter at highway speeds? I have no trouble passing at 65 - 70 MPH in 6th and downshifting to 4th or 5th if I need to do it quick... with no rev limiter in the equation. The bike will do over 100 MPH so I don't see where you have to drop so many gears doing 60 that the rev limiter kicks in... if that person has a problem I'm not sure how safe he or she does their passing.

The "short coming" to some of us with the DCT do not like the upshifts to 6th at 38MPH. Going uphill at that speed you need to go down 1 or 2 gears to get the torque back. I either have to use manual or S mode on the DCT to counteract the engines lugging. Other than that I'm happy with the bike... and love the 70 MPGs.

I'd also have to say this is the easiest bike I've ridden to ride with it's low center of gravity.

Last edited:

MacMoto

Tons more horsepower
I sold a brand new off the showroom Harley Roadking classic
Bought a Goldwing and rode it to death
Then got rid of those and bought a 2016 CTX700 DCT w/fairing
Just rode it from Washington DC down through the Blue Ridge Parkway to Cherokee NC then on down to my home
in Melbourne FL
When on the super slabs...avg around 80mph
Got from 68 to 70+ mpg
Never suffered from lack of power...

I don't know what else you would want to hear....
Wow. Thanks burdicda. Sounds like an awesome trip.

MacMoto

I don't know what that person was talking about the rev limiter at highway speeds? I have no trouble passing at 65 - 70 MPH in 6th and downshifting to 4th or 5th if I need to do it quick... with no rev limiter in the equation. The bike will do over 100 MPH so I don't see where you have to drop so many gears doing 60 that the rev limiter kicks in... if that person has a problem I'm not sure how safe he or she does their passing.

The "short coming" to some of us with the DCT do not like the upshifts to 6th at 38MPH. Going uphill at that speed you need to go down 1 or 2 gears to get the torque back. I either have to use manual or S mode on the DCT to counteract the engines lugging. Other than that I'm happy with the bike... and love the 70 MPGs.

I'd also have to say this is the easiest bike I've ridden to ride with it's low center of gravity.
Thanks randy1149. How long did you instinctively reach for the clutch after purchasing your bike? I recently bought a Dodge 1500 that comes with a knob for a shifter. I reached for a column shifter for about a month and kept turning up my radio instead of putting it in drive. I'm a creature of habit.

randy1149

Thanks randy1149. How long did you instinctively reach for the clutch after purchasing your bike? I recently bought a Dodge 1500 that comes with a knob for a shifter. I reached for a column shifter for about a month and kept turning up my radio instead of putting it in drive. I'm a creature of habit.

Well it's arthritis that "motivated" me going to an "automatic" (DCT) tranny. After I got it I never had a problem reaching for a clutch that wasn't there. I had no problem going DCT and after a few weeks I knew I would never go back to manual.

As Honda engineered it I can do more and faster with the DCT than the manual... you can go manual all the time... if you want. Changing gears (up or down) can be done so fast and so smooth and you can do it all with full open throttle that makes it's a very competitive MC considering the engines displacement. At the end of the day I won't ever go back to manual.

Last edited:

Merlin III

The confusion with this rev-limiter thing is that the CTX has half a Honda Fit (auto) engine in it. It is a long stroke engine compared to most other motorcycles out there. Therefore, you won't get the same rev numbers as a traditional bike, but the power is there. Driven in Sport mode, which is the way I always ride, it has more than enough power. I don't race the thing, but I easily keep up with just about everything I ride with, including fast BMWs. Granted, the people I ride with are sane, law biding riders, whose spirited riding is generally within 10-15 MPH of the speed limit.

Spirit 4

When I was shopping for my first cycle right out of the MSF school and I came across an article that zeroed me right in on the Honda CTX line. I had been looking at used bikes in the 250cc range and up and around $3,500. I soon sensed I was actually looking at someone one's training wheels! One ride on the CTX and the hook was set! Here is the article that put me over the top and two weeks later the 2014 CTX700N was in my carport!

http://www.motorcycle.com/events/honda-runs

Jimmy H. AKA Spirit 4

mtvic

Doesn't take long at all too get use to it. Main rules to remember on a DCT are:

1) DON'T blip throttle - particularly when stopped! Your always engaged.
2) Put it in Neutral when backing up
3) Put it in Neutral when stopping for a while (such as to talk) with engine on cause you can forget your in gear!
4) Put it in Neutral before turning engine off

So did you buy it???

ponydrvr

Then another B I G thing is that I've never missed a shift and a downshift is always just a push button away.

Glen e

I’m a bit ambivalent to the DCT. I am so used to being completely disengaged at a stop , a few times I’ve lurched forward as I’ve touched the throttle. I’m gonna have to learn to use the neutral setting more to protect myself. It’s hard to “unlearn” after 40 years with a clutch. My bike is 100% at interstate, no around town stuff, so therefore that advantage of the DCT in town is lost on me. I may go back to the new NX750 if that is made with a standard transmission in a few years.....

Last edited:

Woodswoman

I kinda, sometimes, a little bit, regret I didn't hold out for the fairing model. The extra wind protection would have been nice. And it's been a nuisance having to buy things for my naked model that are already under the 'tupperware' of the fairing model, such as the internal supports for the rear luggage rack.

However, from the first day I saw pictures of it, I've disliked the "shark nose" appearance of the fairing. Just not to my taste.

MacMoto, you didn't say whether you tested the manual or DCT version of the CTX. Im guessing it's the manual, since you've been doing some off roading. Comfort, handling, and gas mileage are the strong suits for the CTX. I am a member of the CTX owners who love the automatic DCT transmission. As you can see, my butt is quite ample as well, but the CTX hauls it around quite well.;)

Good luck with your decision.

By the way, Woodswoman, I think the naked model is much more attracive also. The fairing to me looks too much like my car's dashboard. I like the feel of the motorcycle and a little breeze.:cool:

Last edited:
I kinda, sometimes, a little bit, regret I didn't hold out for the fairing model. The extra wind protection would have been nice. And it's been a nuisance having to buy things for my naked model that are already under the 'tupperware' of the fairing model, such as the internal supports for the rear luggage rack.

However, from the first day I saw pictures of it, I've disliked the "shark nose" appearance of the fairing. Just not to my taste.

First time you try to take it apart you'd wish you had the named model.

I regret not going naked.

ofdave

I thought about those things myself.
I did grump about having to buy inner supports when I added bags.
But after the first valve check I realized naked is good. I can't imagine going through all the grief to get the plastic off, bad enough as it was without it even more.
And I must be a rare one but I didn't mind feeling a little wind even behind the aftermarket windshield.
I do like the idea of lowers though.

Woodswoman

I do like the idea of lowers though.

They help a lot.

I have installed the Fehling tip-over bars. And then I took an old set of Sage Brush Designs bar chaps from a prior bike and I cut them down to fit the Fehling bars. (I'll see if I can fish up a picture to share.) My intention was to keep my feet drier when riding in the rain.

But it turns out that they help immensely with wind management, especially at highway speeds -- so much so that I wish to figure out a way to install some hard plastic permanently inside the bars. I expect I'll be giving up some gas mileage, but so be it.

I'm confident that the lowers from MadStad would have a similar effect, and I'd be buying a set right now if I hadn't already gone the route of the Fehling bars.

Last edited:

casper

And me, I liked the look of the fairing right from the get go. Just simply different tastes. I also am ordering the lowers just to see.