Lap of Kentucky

ponydrvr

Another LOK is in the record books. And you might say: "So WHAT! It's only a 1500 mile, 4 day ride around the periphery of Kentucky. Lodging is at three Kentucky State Resort Parks scattered about.

I had the privilege to be the routing author for this years event. It was so much fun developing the event that I rode it more than 3 1/2 times in the last three months. Proof-riding is necessary due to the changing roadway conditions and bridge repairs which are unannounced except to locals. Over 60% of this years routes were on un-edged and un-striped roads.

The routing takes in all the various eco's of the state from the north central Manufacturing and Commerce regions, Appalachian mining and logging regions, south central Oil producing areas, Wester Agricultural farmlands, and our great rural byways that make for great motorcycle riding riding in and around the pastoral settings that are Kentucky.

There were 28 registered and 24 active riders. The local BMW dealership provided sponsorship. Details of this years ride are found on Lap of Kentucky web site. The ride is open to all and any make of bikes, there were a host of name brand motorcycles in attendance. But only one Honda! Help me out folks. There needs to be more than one Honda and certainly more than one CTX 700.

The ride was a success as it finished with no losses or injuries. We had two riders not show up and only lost one rider due to mechanical failure (he finished with the tow truck operator at the dealership two days early) and lost two more on Day 3 to return home for work on Day 4 (Tues).

Days 1 & 2 (Sat. & Sunday) were perfectly clear skies, temps in the mid 50's to lower 70's, and no mining or logging trucks trying to run us off the roads.

Yes we had some rain on day 3 with some light breezes that gave all some challenges especially with the leaves now falling on wet roadways.

Day 4 (Tuesday) started out chilly in the mid/lower 40's and some drizzle in spots that soon cleared up. Temps only got into the lower 60's today. Since the majority of this ride was close enough to see the Mississippi and Ohio rivers at almost every turn. Deer, Turkey, dogs, cats, and other wildlife were out in abundance. Personally, I saw more than 50 deer total - at least 20 bucks most with velvet in soy bean fields eating breakfast. I had to stop for a handful of Does that thought the road was their playground. The Turkey were mostly west of Brandenburg, KY and were in flight so didn't get to count them. Dogs and cats ... just doing what they do out in the country in the early morning hours.

One would think that 3 1/2 times of proofing the route that I would have had enough. This third time though was my time to just sit back and enjoy the ride. I thoroughly did. The fellowship of other riders was great. Companionship on the road was comforting as well.

Well I'm home now and reminiscing about the ride. IT WAS GREAT! I'm ready to go again ... anybody?

Woodswoman

Sounds grand! I've wanted to do a "lap of New York State" for awhile now. This encourages me further to make it happen.

casper

Older thread I know. I've lapped MN, and WI, want to do Lake Superior as well. I have found that lapping states for me is really fun, and I want to do more of them. So let me know when yours is coming up again Pony, as I may register and ride down for it so you're C will have another buddy along! Mark

ponydrvr

Good Morning Mark,

You are welcome to join us in this great event and would extend the offer to all. Obviously, there is no discrimination as to brand of bike, only that you must be able to ride 350 miles per day in an 8 hour time frame and is freeway capable(ie; 250cc or greater is typical).

The Lap of Kentucky is sponsored by the local BMW/HD dealer and Derby City Beemers, of which I am a member. The event date is usually held in the fall or late summer and depends on holiday and weather outlooks. The "LOK" has a web page at HTTP://www.lapofkentucky.org/ . The current website has the routes used for last years event so it is dated. The routes usually reversed in alternate years and we try to stay in KY Resort Parks on the nights out. We will begin updating the web site with new information in early summer or late spring. The registration costs are minimal and support various charities.

Ralph