Non Intrusive Temp Gauge.

randy1149

I wanted some sort of temp gauge without having to cut into the cooling system. Trial Tech makes gauges that you can't install on the outside of the engine with several different connection type. I ordered the one below from EBAY , that installs onto the spark plug... but I'm not going to do that.
Having some preliminary testing I found out I could get pretty good readings off the thermostat housing using an infrared temp gauge. So the plan was to install the gauge to one top bolt on the thermostat housing.

After the install it was discovered the copper connection to the engine acted like a temperature heat sink and "absorbed" 20 degrees off the engine. Using the infrared gauge, the temp was accurate at all the points on the thermostat housing except on the bolt the Trial Tech was connected. I let the engine heat up to the fan turning on and the temperature readings where 220 on the thermostat housing and 200 on the bolt the Trial Treck was connected.

So off for a ride. Riding on a highway 60 MPH the gauge read in the low 160 and pretty much stayed there with some minor changing as I changed speed. When I came to a stop with no air traveling thru the radiator the gauge will increase and continue until I began moving again.

So for me I decided the gauge was accurate enough for me and all I needed to do was add 20 degrees to the reading and I have a gauge that's pretty much in the ball park, so I'll leave it on.

If you decide to install one to find the temp difference on the Trial Tech just let the bike run and find out the temp on the gauge when the fan clicks on, that's a fixed temperature of 220 degrees on all CTX700. Just add the difference and you have a good ball park reading.

Attachments

• IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

ofdave

good job, and more creative than I thought you were possible of being
Had those on my Ural (1 on each cyl.) they do a fine job and sure are cost effective

randy1149

good job, and more creative than I thought you were possible of being
Had those on my Ural (1 on each cyl.) they do a fine job and sure are cost effective

Sometimes I shock myself. You can't put these on the CTX700 spark plug because the plugs are enclosed in surrounding plastic.

Last edited: