Warm hands

Steven

Just FYI...

I picked up a pair of handlebar mitts for cold weather riding. If you ride in the winter these are nice. Since I haven't used them in cold weather I have to rely on what other people say. Even if you have heated grips, these help. To make them work I had to make holes in them for the mirrors, adding washers to the mirror nuts to snug them down. It's easy to get my hands in them and while a little snug, I still have access to my controls except the parking brake and that is still doable. They also fit over my existing hand guards which works out perfect. Some say that at higher speeds the wind pushes them against the brake lever, but with the hand guards I have, that can't happen. I'm taking them on my trip and they're easy enough to install on the road when needed. They are water resistant, but I'm going to spay them with campdry or something like it so all should be well. $25 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Q4YMXA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• 71orZXPGBDL._SL1500_.jpg
    71orZXPGBDL._SL1500_.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 224

MJC

Super Moderator
I think they would work fine, if the glove fits over your jacket and not under it. If they do not fit under your jacket maybe you can add a little fabric to go over your jacket and waterproof it before your trip.

Steven

I wasn't wearing a jacket when I tried them, but there was room for a jacket to fit into them. I believe that they would be essentially air tight so no wind get's to your hands, plus they are fleeced lined inside.

fergy

Had a similar set on my BV250 and they worked really well. Keep us posted once you get to test them in the fall. I may have to go for a pair.

rickster

Steven, which hand guards do you have? Do you have photos of them? I'm thinking about guards and bar mittens like yours for this upcoming winter. I'm riding the manual transmission model...would yours work on mine? Thanks...

Steven

Like these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-Mot...ash=item4d6615cfaa:g:f7wAAOSwAHBZ7wcm&vxp=mtr

My front brake handle "just fits" inside these. I bent the bracket a little so that the handle fits into the deepest part. It's almost touching the guard. You might want to know that. I don't know how your clutch handle will fit. If it's the same as my brake handle then it will work.

The mitts fits over these perfectly, except it gets a little snug for some controls, but it's easy enough. You will have to cut a hole in the mitts for your mirror. I also used washers at the mirror bolt to grab onto the mitt better and to keep air from coming in through the hole and to also keep the material from fraying.

Last edited:

fergy

I have those same guards Steven. They work very well but I think I will do as you did and bend that bracket a bit. The brake handle does just fit now and it would not hurt to have the guard cover a bit more of my fingers (which are getting al lot colder these days). Trying to decide whether to go for the mitts or maybe lithium battery powered heated glove liners.

randy1149

You might want to give Oxford Heated Grips a look.

All plug and play, connects directly to the battery as it has a self shut down when you turn the bike off. I've had these grips on 3 of my past bikes without a hint of a trouble.

The advantage they are always there so you can wear any type of gloves, you do need to wear heavy insulated glove to keep warm.

The heated grips with the Handguards mentioned and your good to go anywhere.

Last edited:

fergy

Thanks Randy I will look into that. Did you bother hooking them up to the CTXs aux power connection or just run the wire to the battery?

randy1149

Being that the controller shuts off by itself I just snaked it up front from the battery, which was one of the advantages of this system. Here's a post on it. LINK. Controller on the left side.

ponydrvr

For me, the heated grips were great as a first step. I found that while they kept my hands warm on the grip, the outside of my fingers were getting cold if temps were below 40F. When I incorporated my Gerbing heated gloves, which only heat the outside of the fingers, I had a complete solution. Couple the hands being warm with a heated jacket liner, heated pants, and warming socks I don't know how low the temp would have to be for me to be cold or at what wind chill would be to much.