Bikes are too expensive

Steven

I'm in the process of adjusting my valves, I just need to put everything aback together now. I had to remove quite a bit of stuff to get to the valves. I got to thinking about this and the costs. According to the manual this should be done every 8k miles. It you want fresh rubber, it would be a good time to change those too, and then it's also about time for an oil change.

What do you folks spend every year maintaining your bikes?

Myself, it's about $400 - $500 a year, but I do my own labor.

Shanghai Dan

About $1000 a year. But then, that's also 20K miles.

And I checked my valves the first time at 32K - they were still within spec. I figure I'll check again when I break 50K. Honda now recommends 16K miles I believe, so you're good for a while!

pipster326

I just did my 600 mile oil change.. OEM FILTERS $30
1 case of genuine Honda motorcycle oil .........$72
So far it's costs me roughly $54, for maintenance.
Now if we are talking accessories, I just installed Fehling engine guards.. $200 w/ delivery. Waiting for Hepco and Becker center stand to be delivered... $237.
I only bought the bike, brand new, in January '17, so I have a long ways to go, to catch-up to you guys

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MJC

Super Moderator
So far this year, set of tires, paid shop to install them, oil and filter, chain oil, changed brake fluid and battery. I think around $600, so far plus gas. Just before I put her away for winter I plan on doing valve adjustment, coolant, check brake pads, oil and filter change, check chain etc. So I would guess $800 for the year.

Now that I started to hear a noise I have to figure how to fix that so depending how much that cost me, I may have to push back on the work I have planed for the end of the season.

If we are talking accessories, and mods, plus my time, around $1500. Cost of me riding?...priceless.

People I ride with spend 1000's on maintenance every year, so I think I get away cheap with the ctx. I also try to buy oil, filters, brake fluid, tires, brake pads etc when they are on sell and stock up to save a few dollars. They just drop their bikes off at the shop. one guy pays $150 for a oil and filter change!

Steven

I looked up the cost of tires, the kind I use, and the cost of installing them at a local dealership, it was about $750. They charged a premium for the tires, almost double what they cost anywhere else.

randy1149

This year on my 2015 CTX , rear tire installed $200, self oil change $26. That's it. Bike has a little over 15K, checking the valves at 16K is NOT on my to do list... maybe 32K. That is a gift to the dealers.

Last edited:

rickster

Tires and valve check / adjust are the biggies for me. I do my own oil and filter changes and my own mods, but not my own engine work. I don't do my valves every 8k since there are very few reports of them being out of adjustment floating around. Every 16K is more like it. I do the following when I have tire changes... I call my shop while in front of my computer monitor with the web page that has the best price I can find on my tires. I'll say to my shop guy: "I'm looking at this tire on the net and it sells for $XXX.00. I'd rather buy it from you if you can give me a reasonably competitive price." They'll add a few bucks to the internet price which is fine with me for two reasons. 1. They're a good shop and I'd really rather give them my money. 2. The few extra bucks is worth not having to get the tires to my shop when I want to take my bike in for the service.