Squeak noise

MJC

Super Moderator
Out riding today and 1/2 way on a 200 mile ride I started hearing a squeak noise. Squeak noise maybe coming from the front wheel,I think. It was not constant and only while the bike was moving at speed from 20 up to about 40, after that I can not hear it. Can it be a bearing or something that needs maintenance, maybe it is the chain. Hard for me to hear it and tell where it is coming from, guessing front wheel. What could this be? Where should I start to look?

2014 DCT, tires are newer with 4-5K on them now, chain was oiled every 200 miles at least if not more. Other maintenance done. Last mod I did was added pegs on the front floorboards and made a new seat using air ride like air hawk. Not that these mods have anything to do with the noise just putting it out there.

BTW: Randy1149, I was in Yonkers today, did the Yonkers MC Joe Cool Run. I was going to tell you about it but forgot, sorry.

Last edited:

randy1149

... BTW: Randy1149, I was in Yonkers today, did the Yonkers MC Joe Cool Run. I was going to tell you about it but forgot, sorry.

Oh well... I would of loved to join you... next time. I don't think the squeak is from the chain, the links are made to move against each other, a wheel bearing sounds to be a better reason.

Shanghai Dan

First place my mind went to as well - brakes. Potentially your rubber seals on the forks as well - getting them oscillating at the right frequencies and they can be noisy; speed up or slow down and they quiet back down...

MJC

Super Moderator
Update: I jacked up the bike, front wheel off the ground. Rolling the front wheel hear the squeak. Removed the brake caliper, roll the wheel no squeak. Took the pads out files them down, reinstalled with brake grease, put the caliper back on. roll the wheel no squeak.

Bike off jack, rolling no squeak. When I apply the front brake I can hear the squeak. So all is good for now. I also cleaned off the disk and sanded it with fine paper. Still when I apply the front brake I can hear the squeak, it is (never was) that loud so I can live with it and hope over time it will go away. Maybe I will see how much new pads are, pads are still looking like new but I hate squeaks.