Should i buy a ctx??

Lsdpoet

Hi guys...considering switching from my NT700 to a CTX700..
Don't know if I'd be happy with the decrease in HP or the riding position. Also undecided about the DCT or the clutch model. Do know I want the fairing model if I make the switch
. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Lsdpoet

MJC

Super Moderator
Well I can tell you this:
NT700 V:
680 cc's, 49 mpg, 570 pounds, V twin, 5 speed, shaft drive.
CTX700 DCT:
670 cc's, 65 mpg, 500 pounds, parallel twin, low center of gravity, 6 speed (DCT), chain drive.

So there is no decrease in power, if anything the CTX has more, with less vibes.
The NT700 is top heavy (IMHO) and the CTX has a low center of gravity.
The CTX DCT has ABS. Not sure about the NT700.
The main reason to get a CTX700 IMHO is the DCT

You may want to check out the NC700, that is more like seating on a NT700.
Drives are the same in the CTX700 DCT and the NC700 DCT. But the NC seats you higher with pegs under you like the NT.

One note here is that the CTX or NC are nothing like the NT700. A Test ride is going to be in order for sure...happen testing.

randy1149

It all depends how much want DCT. Your giving up some things like the belt drive for the DCT transmission. The NT700 is a beautiful machine comes with it's own saddle bags and lot of chrome which you don't have on the CTX. But I can tell you now the CTX is the easiest bike you've ever rode. Center of gravity so low the bike almost steers itself. Just how bad to you want DCT?

Lsdpoet

Thanks for the reply, Randy...actually I'm a bit apprehensive about DCT...after 40 plus years of clutches I'm not sure I can adapt to an automatic.

A friend who used to ride auto-gearbox Husqvarnas says the problem is the other way around -- once he got used to the Husky he'd sometimes forget to pull in the clutch at a stop when riding a manual gearbox bike.

It is close to 50 years since I started riding and the DCT seemed very easy to adapt to -- you just ride it. The only bikes I"d have to "blip" the throttle on at a stop were race bikes; I've got no concerns about the Honda's ability to idle at a stop.

rickster

It is seldom that one finds a negative comment about the performance of the DCT. Considering how folks like to gripe on the internet, that seems significant to me. That said, if you do choose the manual transmission, I can say that mine shifts easily as it confidently changes from one gear to the next going up or down. The clutch works and feels great too with a light enough pull to make it a non-issue in traffic. The NT specs state that you're turning 5,000 rpm at 70mph. My manual six speed drops that to around 4,000 at 70. Also, with the manual I'm getting in the high 70 to low 80 miles per gallon on summer gas and low to mid 70's on winter gas with 90 percent of my riding being done in the Sierra Nevada foothills in California.

It seems to me though that it would be the foot position that would be the biggest change for you. For myself, the relaxed feet forward position on the CTX was part of my buying decision. But, that is a trade off that exchanges not being able to absorb some bumps with your legs in favor of having your legs relaxed and stretched out for long rides. You'll have to decide if a kicked back cruiser style ride is for you.

MJC

Super Moderator
Thanks for the reply..you're correct about the test ride, but they're hard to come by.

Fill in where you are from and maybe there is someone by you to help you out with a test ride or at least seating on one. That was how I was able to get a test ride before I got mine.

randy1149

Thanks for the reply, Randy...actually I'm a bit apprehensive about DCT...after 40 plus years of clutches I'm not sure I can adapt to an automatic.

I'm on my 3rd year on a CTX/DCT and posting on the CTX forums. I came from 40 years of manual clutch riding to the DCT without a problem. In all that time I'm on the CTX I NEVER read or heard from any rider about an adaptation problem going from manual to automatic.

I know some people have problems with the footpegs too far forward. That can be fixed with floor boards... I also added a 2" offset to further move the board down and back.

Epic Trekkrr

I just picked up a 2015 naked dct and drove it home to Utah from Missouri and I loved the ride! It's a great bike imo, the dct only adds to the fun. Only complaint is having a feet forward only position can get tiring when you ride 15 hours in a day :).

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

mtvic

Rode bikes for almost 45 years off and on. All brands. Later in life HD and Victory. Fell in love with the feet forward position for long cruising. Getting older, tendentious, shifting starting to give me too much pain driving in mtns and traffic. Was lucky and tried a used NM4, bought it. Loved the dct. My friend tried it, rides an Ultra, LOVES the paddle shift. I loved it so much bought the CTX700, sits different than the NM4 but the tranny is soooo...... good........ Yep, floor boards, backrest, sound...setting it up like my cruisers...

randy1149

My last 2 bikes where a Wing and a Voyager, both 900 lbs. I do miss all the features and extras these bikes came with... (radio, cruise control...etc) but I don't miss the 900 pounds.

It's interesting how the CTX700 was built by Honda and marketed for beginners (of both genders) as an easy motorcycle to drive without the need to learn the shifting part of it. Well that's still true but... from a truly speculative conjecture the CTX has become a favorite bike for us members of the Geriatric Angels over the Newbie riders.

We're willing to give all the do-dads on the 900 pounders for the CTX by giving us Angels the fun an ease back the CTX does. For me it is extending many extra years the 900 pounders can't

Last edited:

BobWitte

My last 2 bikes where a Wing and a Voyager, both 900 lbs. I do miss all the features and extras these bikes came with... (radio, cruise control...etc) but I don't miss the 900 pounds.

It's interesting how the CTX700 was built by Honda and marketed for beginners (of both genders) as an easy motorcycle to drive without the need to learn the shifting part of it. Well that's still true but... from a truly speculative conjecture the CTX has become a favorite bike for us members of the Geriatric Angels over the Newbie riders.

We're willing to give all the do-dads on the 900 pounders for the CTX by giving us Angels the fun an ease back the CTX does. For me it is extending many extra years the 900 pounders can't

Amen, from a three score & thirteen!

Steven

I'm beginning to feel like an amateur here. I've never owned bikes that big, had ridden a few Wings though. They were really nice and all, but too nice. It didn't really feel like I was riding a bike unless I went like a kagillion miles or so non stop. Even with my more modest liter bikes I dreamt of a smaller bike with it's more agile handling.

MJC

Super Moderator
Those born after 1980 sadly, and most likely, have no frikken idea of what we're talking about.

born before 1980, I do not have any frikken idea what I was talking about.

born after 1990, people have no idea how to talk. IDK, what U R talking about............