Pro Oiler Improvement

Shanghai Dan

Many of you know I ride. A LOT. 40,000 miles in the two years I've had the CTX - and that includes being overseas (and off the bike) for 10 of those 24 months. Yep, nearly 700 miles a week!

Last trip (2 weeks ago) I dropped my CTX off at the dealer and had new tires, chain, and sprocket done (they also did the brakes for free labor - parts only - I'll take it!). The service manager was SHOCKED when I told him they were the original chain and sprocket set. In Ventura, it's typical to get 8-10K out of a chain and sprocket set - no more than that. Salty and sandy environment, lots of dry conditions, and riders who tend to think 500 miles a month is a lot all conspire to kill chains.

I have a Pro Oiler (I know a few others do as well). It's a positive displacement pump that uses either GPS or rotations (what I use) to determine when to oil your chain. I have mine dialed in a little "wet" for my region, but I'd rather fling a bit more oil on my underside and keep the $350 worth of parts and labor nice and rare to replace. I run straight engine oil in it. You know that extra oil left in the gallon, when you do the oil change? That turns out to be the right amount I'll go through, between oil changes (6K miles) - so that's where I "use" the rest.

Anyway, the Pro Oiler is a great system, but it does have a pretty cheesy mount. A piece of metal, you screw into your swingarm, and hope it doesn't bend. I don't like it, it's always in the way, and a pain to mount/remove. It works, but barely. And you have to bend it to get the oiler nozzles in the right location.

Enter - CAD and 3D printer! Friday, I got to noodling as I was putting air in the rear tire. Why don't I make a custom designed mount for the nozzle? Angle, position, all set appropriately. So I sat down with a caliper, made some quick measurements, cranked on the 3D model for about 15 minutes, and was done. Two hours of printing with ABS later, and I had my new mount. Ten minutes after that - all installed and verified - it works!

Here's what I ended up with:

The basic concept. Even put "Pro Oiler Equipped" on the side. Perhaps I'll paint that in with a nice yellow or something. Basic idea is a big block that is ZIP-tied (see the channels?) to the swingarm, then an extension that holds the double-sided nozzle at the proper location and angle.

How it is supposed to fit together. A #6 screw (or 4mm) will go through tight - which is what I want! An interference fit of the screw and mounting holes. Don't worry, I'll use a lock washer and nut as well to secure it all together.

Here we go! This is how it is assembled together. Now it is ready to install on the swingarm. Two 11" long ZIP ties, plug the Pro Oiler oil line feed into the nozzle, and I should be done.

How I aligned the nozzle. The front and back of the main mounting block are "flush" with the inside and outside surfaces of the swingarm, making it easy to align by feel. This will put the sprocket directly between the two nozzle outlets. And the angle and position put it just 1 inch above the chain, drips nicely on to the chain AND the sprocket!

All dressed up and ready! Perfectly secure with a pair of tight ZIP ties - doesn't move at all. If you were paranoid, a small piece of double sided tape would ensure it doesn't move forward/rearward, and of course you can use other means to secure the ZIP ties as well. But it is tight and doesn't wiggle.

Overall, a nice little improvement. No worries about removing when it's time to change tires - cut two ZIP ties, plop off the oil feed line, and it's all clear. Installation is a snap. And alignment is automatic.

Now for the offer: for anyone who has a CTX and Pro Oiler, I'll 3D print you one of these, gratis. Just pay shipping! And if you want to 3D print your own, let me know. I can share the file in a variety of formats, including SolidWorks, Alibre (what I use), STEP, IGES, or straight-out STL for direct 3D print. I used Polyworks ABS, a Lulzbot Mini printer, and 30 minutes of total time...;)

Nice job! I keep thinking about a 3D printer but then I have the question "what will I make with it?" I've got a nice CNC mill but I can see definite applications like yours where the 3D printer would work just fine and take less effort in doing multiple set ups on the mill. If I were to get a printer I'm very tempted by the Formlabs Form2 SLA printer. Maybe I should just build a small filament printer and see if I can find a use for it.

If you haven't heard Alibre was just bought back from 3D Systems by some former Alibre employees and if you let your maintenance lapse like I did you've got until the end of August to re-up for the next year with no back fees due.

Shanghai Dan

Yeah, I used some Formlabs things in the past. REALLY bad luck with them! I love the concept of SLA (some of my clients have Objets which are awesome) but it was always spotty in production. The FDM things like the LULZbot and others is really great - I can print ABS, PC, rubber (I use Polymaker rubber), etc.

Got my Alibre upgraded back to the good ol' boys already! I love it. Does everything I could want, including semi-decent surfacing. It's at least as good as Sollidworks, and comes with Keyshot which is REALLY nice! Best investment in CAD software I've ever made... Well that and EasyPC from Number One systems for schematic capture and PCB layout...;)

ponydrvr

Dan, Please ship me one of those. I've had a similar idea but lacked the 3D printer to produce one. Pm me with the cost for shipping and I'll PayPal it to you.

MJC

Super Moderator
Dan, nice work! I do not have a Pro Oiler but I think I need one. Can you please let me know the one you have so I can get the same. And Please mail me one of these units you made. Just PM me and I will pay with PayPal. Thank you.

Last edited:

Shanghai Dan

To simplify: $7.15 for USPS Priority Mail. I'll get them printed out as quickly as I can... Should be able to ship them all tomorrow (3 of them - Pony and NJC send a PM with your address) and any others will have to wait until the following week - off to SF this coming week (going to ride up, a beautiful, easy 6 hour, 350 mile ride).

randy1149

Shanghai my hat is off to you... what an excellent improvement over the OEM products. Yes please make me one I'll fill in all the personals from a PM.

pipster326

Dan, i am going to order a pro oiler, so when you get back, if you can send me 1, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm kind of new to this, so as soon as I figure out how to PM you, I will send you my info. Thanks

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BobWitte

Good Morning Dan:

This morning I did what I should have done in the late night -- check my sprocket configuration. Doing so I find that the changes made there by Yelvington Trikes precludes my taking advantage of your block design. You can keep the money I already sent to help defray your expenses for materials for those who are able to use the blocks. Thanks for your generous contribution to the CTX family!

BTW, I do think I can still use the nozzle you pointed me to, so all is not lost.
:D

MJC

Super Moderator
The part that Dan made came in the mail today. 1st I have to say the part is well made and I can not believe how nice it is. Great job Dan! Thank you so much. I can not wait to install it.

Dan, sent you a PM.

Shanghai Dan

Quick CAD, and a good 3D printer and a guy can do cool things! I now have the ability to print flexible materials and am playing with some things now... More coming!

dyenfd

Dan:

Send me the address so I can send you a check> I'd like to order the mod for the Pro Oiler (even though I have a Tutoro).

Fred