Just can't not look!

fergy

I know I should just ignore it and not look, but there has been a priceless pissing match going on at that other forum between everyone's two favorite mods.
Vented vs ventless CB screen. Such fun! :rolleyes:

Steven

I've had both, no difference that I could tell. And, I like the way it looks with or without.

MJC

Super Moderator
I am sure they will both come up priceless facts why one is better then the other.

I have the vented CB screen, and it does close so guess I could say tried both. No matter how it is (opened/closed) the CB screen still sucks. It maybe the best available for the fairing model but not even close to being what other windshields I had on other bikes. The design just sucks.

Wait, I better wait to see what the other forum says, it may come to I had it all wrong, maybe the non-vent one is better and the vented one just sucks......lol.

To the other two guys: Just ride the bike! You guys most just sit there looking at the bike trying to come up with things to say on the forum. Just ride it!

ofdave

saw it also
there's one guy who said they should stop the childish behavior and pointed out that in the past people were banned for arguing with a mod
then he got jumped by someone who said that jfc and rebel give too much good advice and it's ok if they duke it out.
That brought a laugh.
I think they are jockeying for position. jfc thinks he is number one and rebel thinks otherwise.
The goal is "Mod King" and each wants to have the throne all to himself
both are horses butts in my opinion

randy1149

A Clash of the Assholes. As a lot of us here where banned (many times) by these 2 mods for exactly what they're doing to each other. And the member who thinks the forum is "a great place to learn" has a very low credibility bar level.

Steven

I agree about the CB shield not being that good. It's not the shields fault entirely, it's just that the bikes faring is so narrow and the windshield is so close to the handlebars. But you know what, I rode without my shield for a while and it's much better with. I've always used handle bar mounted Plexifairings on my other bikes and they work pretty well. I did write them about making one for the CTX but they said no.

Merlin III

I agree about the CB shield not being that good. It's not the shields fault entirely, it's just that the bikes faring is so narrow and the windshield is so close to the handlebars. But you know what, I rode without my shield for a while and it's much better with. I've always used handle bar mounted Plexifairings on my other bikes and they work pretty well. I did write them about making one for the CTX but they said no.

I agree with Steven. The benefit of the bar mounted shield is that most of them are adjustable to fit the individual. I have the CB shield with the vent on my 2014 model and today I can't tell you if it is open or closed. I don't use it.

Merlin III

I know I should just ignore it and not look, but there has been a priceless pissing match going on at that other forum between everyone's two favorite mods.
Vented vs ventless CB screen. Such fun! :rolleyes:
What the problem is on the "Darkside" is that our two "favorite moderators" see all issues as binary. That is erroneous logic, but unfortunately, quite a few people think that way.

MJC

Super Moderator
Joke of the last few days....just because who wrote it:
rebel13: "t is sad how zero credentials and the zero base of facts around here seem to be credible.

Neither jfc77320 or grabngo can provide any solid information that ventless or vented has any difference. This is a complete waste of time! Both of you are talking out of your arse. Both of you are ruining any kind of credibility of your own name and your contribution here. If you have no experience, then you have no evidence, then it would be best to keep quite if you do not know! No amount of text is going to change the fact that you still have zero experience, thus you will never know until you try it yourself!

Man, the arrogance~

I'm done! Until I talk to someone who actually has used both, the rest of you are a waste of everyones time, especially mine! This is like trying to convince someone in the 5th century that the earth is round...Believe or don't believe, it is your own ignorance!

Then I posted that I had BOTH, and what does Rebel13 do or say...."NOTHING!"
Then someone said :whats the big deal... to which Rebel13 replied (still not saying anything about my post)

".........It is because of those that are manipulating people into thinking that the vent is a must and the only way to go with the CB shield even without any valid experience of their own. It is a con, a falsehood. Some believe things have to be one way (typically their own) and no other way else is possible. It is foolish arrogance!"
posted by rebel13

Then someone said ...."You really should listen to your own advice. No one is saying the vent is a must. Your reading comprehension is lacking, along with your spelling and grammar. The vent works for some, sometimes. If you are denying that then you are wrong. Period.

Two days have pasted and rebel13 has not posted on this tread. So what happened rebel? You asked for someone who actually has used both, to which I have posted, but no reply? Why? Maybe you thought you where the only one that tried both? Maybe your zero credentials and your zero base of facts, have been seen by too many and you just can not come up with words to tell them how wrong they are? Come on (rebel13) post some more, I need a laugh!

Steven

That's the problem with those two, it's their way or the highway. They have no concept of personal preference.

I experienced the same thing with Rebel about what color jacket to wear on hot days. He was wrong, of course. I then explained it in terms of BTU absorption and then he didn't reply. It was shortly after that that I got banned. Hmmmm, I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

randy1149

What the problem is on the "Darkside" is that our two "favorite moderators" see all issues as binary. That is erroneous logic, but unfortunately, quite a few people think that way.

They take out their paper swords and cut out their paper ass holes.

FWIW, aero aids mounted to the forks/bar (hand shields, wind shields, fairings) have the possibility of putting unwanted/unbalanced forces into the steering. Yes, thousands and thousands of bikes have run fairings/shields mounted to the steering without problems, but on the other hand some people have had bad scares and/or crashes when the fairings perturbed the steering. It is something to be aware of. My preference is for frame mounted fairings and having as few extra items added to the steered mass as possible.

Steven

I did go into a high speed wobble at 110mph, once. I had a handlebar mounted shield. I've also done 140mph with the same kind of shield on other bikes and never had a problem. I suppose the wind was just right the first time.

I did sell that first bike, after souping it up. The guy that bought it said he was doing 120mph (3rd gear) and when he went into 4th it broke the back tire loose and it began spinning. I suppose that would happen with high compression pistons. I imagine that top end on that bike was around 150mph give or take, but I never tried to find out. I suppose that's pretty normal for some modern bikes.

The enduro-style hand guards can be problematic at higher speeds as the aero force on them has more leverage on the steering because they are at the end of the handle bar. Once a wobble starts it can exacerbate the differential off-center forces and quickly build up to be uncontrollable.

I'm not sure how much of a problem tassles off the end of the handle bar are. :)

Your old bike must have been very powerful and maybe equipped with a tire that wasn't super sticky. This behavior can be a problem at Bonneville where the traction on the salt is low -- even at 200 mph+ powerful vehicles can have wheel spin. The lowered traction from rain on the pavement will have a similar effect.

Steven

I do have hand guards on my CTX. I put them on there due to cold weather riding, but I find they also work well for keeping my hands dry in the rain. The down side is that they prevent the cooling effect of the wind on hot days. They are curved for a more aerodynamic effect and so in that way they differ from enduro-style guards.

As for the tire on the souped up bike, you could very well be right. I had a 750 2-stroke Kawasaki which I souped up too and I believe it was even faster. I did take that one up to 150mph, but only once. Of course it only weighed about 400 lbs. That one I could get up to 70mph and then get it stopped in one block, not a city block but a shorter residential block. It was a lot of fun back then, but I don't think I would even attempt it now a days.

Shanghai Dan

I use PowerMadd Star Guards. Perforated during the summer, snap in a small "cover" for fall/spring, and snap on big covers in the winter. Keep me warm and drier during the winter, and saved my knuckles from a few errant rocks!

Steven

I use PowerMadd Star Guards. Perforated during the summer, snap in a small "cover" for fall/spring, and snap on big covers in the winter. Keep me warm and drier during the winter, and saved my knuckles from a few errant rocks!

Those look nice

MJC

Super Moderator
That's the problem with those two, it's their way or the highway. They have no concept of personal preference.

I experienced the same thing with Rebel about what color jacket to wear on hot days. He was wrong, of course. I then explained it in terms of BTU absorption and then he didn't reply. It was shortly after that that I got banned. Hmmmm, I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

So what color jacket is best to wear on hot days? I never where black Tees because they make me feel hotter, but maybe it is all in my head? Friends have asked me if I own any tees that where not gray....lol...And I said no, just this one that happens to be gray to match my hair...lol..